News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

An update on 2.0

Started by Grudge, June 16, 2007, 03:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

So, it's now mid-June and I feel it only fair to give an update on the status of 2.0 - especially considering we've said we are hoping to get the Charter Member beta out this month. I'm afraid to say it's highly unlikely that we're going to meet our target date of June for the first beta release. Unfortunately as with so many projects (least of all free ones) we've hit a couple of bumps in the road which have meant we're not quite where we want to be.

Firstly - the development team have been a little distracted recently. We've had a few long standing bugs to iron out with 1.1 that have taken precedence over 2.0 development. In addition both myself and Compuart have, until recently, been pretty much fully occupied in real life reducing the available resource on 2.0. All this in total probably means we've effectively lost a month.

Secondly - bugs. We've been working really hard the last few weeks to squash as many bugs as possible - and are now down to about 100 bugs on the tracker - but we need to get it lower still. Even though it's the first beta we're determined to release something that is reasonably stable and bug free - we don't want to chuck in a load of new features and find none of them work as expected. For this reason we've added very few feature improvements to 2.0 over the last six weeks - instead preferring to satisfy ourselves that we're going to be releasing a solid beta to the Charter Members.

It's however not all bad news. We've been cleaning up the user interface for the new features a bit the last few weeks and giving them a little spit and polish (Although more is required). I finally got around to adding some new SSI functionality that has been requested by the community over the last few months. We've added a few small but nice featuers like ignoring users - but these too need a little cleaning up. Importantly for me I've managed to track down and solve many of the reported WYSIWYG bugs which have been giving myself and users headaches the last few months.

So, in summary, we're a little late with our first beta release but it is getting there. I'm on holiday quite a bit in the next month and I doubt it will get released whilst I'm away but I'm hoping that we will get it out for our Charter Members by early August... but things can change. This does go to show why we don't normally give out release dates - because they can be missed.
I'm only a half geek really...

Daniel15

You as well as the rest of the developers are doing an awesome job on SMF 2.0 - keep up the great work! :D

QuoteI finally got around to adding some new SSI functionality that has been requested by the community over the last few months.
Wow, really? I'll need to take a look at that :)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Dragooon

awww I am depressed...
But still Keep up the great work!!!

shadow82x

I see a lot of improvements in the editer! I think stable is better. Still good work.. Are you devs. still busy?
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Dragooon

I think yea they are always busy.

nitins60

Drunken Clam

Thanks for the update Grudge, your, and the other Devs, efforts are really appreciated.

Looking forward to 2.0 (Whenever it may be!  ;) )

MegaTinkerCoder

:) Its hard to imagine the next version being better... Great job all!

In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.

Albert Einstein

Fiery

Tristan Perry

Thanks for the update :) We all appreciate the work you are doing, and there's no mad rush - heck, I'll settle for a few new screenies, even ;) (*Hint* Especially of the moderation centre *Whistles* :P)

KGIII

Let me ask if I can take some screenshots and upload them - there are some. I think one of the reasons that there aren't too many is because things are subject to change at a moment's notice and we don't want people to get their hopes up too high and then not meet their expectations.

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

Humbe

Very nice update, I'm not a official SMF forum owner but I will wait until this version 2.0 comes out and test it.

Nikki Sixx

Care to comment on the status of the Simple Machines Blog site? It has been partially offline for well over a month now. :(

KGIII

Quote from: Nikki Sixx on June 17, 2007, 10:39:54 AM
Care to comment on the status of the Simple Machines Blog site? It has been partially offline for well over a month now. :(

Do you mean this?

http://blogs.simplemachines.org/

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

Nikki Sixx

Yes, but now the Simple Machines Blog page currently redirects to the Simple Machines home page. This is more like a step backwards than forward.

KGIII

Hmm... It seems to work here? Could you elaborate and maybe screen shot what you're seeing? (It appears to be fully functional but that MAY be because of permissions or the likes.)

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

Nikki Sixx

I suspect you have the appropriate permissions to view the Simple Machines Blog site. Try logging out and see if your then able to view the site please.

WebPublishing

Thanks for the update on 2.0; it's not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the update.

KGIII

Yup, it is a permissions thing. Will note it.

Edit: Added to BT.

My PC Support Forum
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

Nikki Sixx

Thanks for addresses this issue, KGIII.

Advertisement: