Please Help, Need To Convert SMF to phpBB

Started by SMUserGT, October 08, 2004, 05:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMUserGT

Hi There
Please can someone help me by pointing me to a converter for SMF to phpBB, i've been to the phpBB site and no one has the answer.

Please Help
Regards
Gavin

Abedie

Hi,

As you can see all efforts are made in an ongoing job to create convertors towards SMF. The growing community here is building hard to get SMF the best forum there is.
Hmm, somehow I got the feeling they do not have that much time at hand to create the converter you ask for, so I point to the phpBB community as it is in there interest to have one.
There's another option ofcourse, and I mean this serious, to tell us whats wrong with SMF or what you are missing, making you longing back to phpBB, so maybe we can do something about it.
Before you decide I would have a look at some securetiy sites and compare the issues by SMF/YabbSE and 'other' boards, t.i. if you find security for your visitors important. The number of skins are growing, there are mods on the way.......
I think about it if I where you, but it's up to you.

Greetings and a nice weekend,
Abedie.

The list about Galery/CMS/Portal using SMF

A dark spot in the light is nearly seen, but a light in the darkness is seen miles away.
Try to be that light for others.

GiNi3D

I don't know how long you've been surfing in life, but it's now 3 years that phpBB is talking about a new board, just search that topic and you will find psoTFX taking about it almost 3 years ago.

Doesn't make you scare that they are so slow?
Doesn't make you scare that bunch of lies and hypocrisy?

This is a quote from psoTFX>>
"Remember, 2.2 is coming, honest don't let anyone tell you different."

That phrase made me decide not to use phpBB, why? Because it contradicts earlier statements.

This is a quote from psoTFX>>
"While development of 2.2 has slowed, mainly for personal reasons, it does continue and right now the pace is being accelerated"

What are they crazy,
2.2 have slowed down mainly for personal reasons?
Geeeee! What kind of crap people would stop or slow down such a project for personal reasons.
Hey dude, its business talk here and you bear the name phpBB, thousands of people around the world is waiting this, and them they have personal reason not to do it.
Simply unintelligent if you ask me, and above all unprofessional.

You see, that is the difference between SMF and phpBB.
PhpBB is not a serious group. SMF is a serious professional group with a real goal.

PhpBB can always hide behind the fact that they are "completely" free. But the service is what it is, medium, plus they can stop helping you if you break their balls, if you know what I mean.

SMF is also "completely" free,
but if you need more you can, by becoming a charter member, and you just raised the service level at the same level as VB or IPB, for much less $. PhpBB can do nothing of that.
And if you do become a charter member, you can expect a better service than phpBB, IPB or VB, and they can't stop serving you because you are breaking their balls, you pay, you have consumer's rights.
So you have the choice here, take it for free, or pay for a very, very good help, its up to you.

The fact that it's not GPL doesn't matter. GPL too has its own restrictions you know, so it's always better to make your own thing, instead of copying, modifying and renaming it, bad practice.
So Simple Machines are doing the right thing here to protect themselves, IMO.

SMF itself is up to date, with good features, it uses php and MySQL just like phpBB, but SMF uses JavaScript's, and well implemented too, IMO its better and safe.
And the community here is growing, that means more GFX, themes, mods...

This is my quote now>>
"Remember, SMF is out, honest don't let anyone tell you different."

I hope you stay friend, from a future user, yes I don't even use SMF yet, imagine.

Regards

SMUserGT

ok, well reading that its gave me second thought i wont go to phpBB, could someone then help me please, if you can help please PM me. thank you. :)

Peter Duggan

Quote from: GiNi3D on October 08, 2004, 09:40:56 AM
What are they crazy,
2.2 have slowed down mainly for personal reasons?
Geeeee! What kind of crap people would stop or slow down such a project for personal reasons.

To be honest, I would, I have done, and that's why the SMF User Help isn't quite up to date!

QuoteHey dude, its business talk here and you bear the name phpBB, thousands of people around the world is waiting this, and them they have personal reason not to do it.
Simply unintelligent if you ask me, and above all unprofessional.

PhpBB can always hide behind the fact that they are "completely" free.

So we're all giving what time we can for these projects when we can and, while I'd naturally prefer folk to use SMF because I believe it to be better, I find some of your statements here both sweeping and unfair.

GiNi3D

Unfair, sweeping, it's true it is unkind.
But also Peter you need to understand the clients point of view, and not always the dev's view.
I do understand that most dev's gives time and hell to these free projects, with often not much in return, but that they know.

But I also believe if a company or an organization can't deliver something in a reasonable amount of time, they should admit it, no matter what it is, and not keep people with foggy statements.

So it goes on both ways, forum user need to understand the mechanism behind these projects, but at the same time, these organization need to be more considerate with software's that needs to be up to date, for the sake of the users and themselves too.

It was my opinion, it doesn't mean that phpBB is crap, let's put things clear here, phpBB was the runner up in my forum software choices.
I just don't like the way they are handling this delay, and it's my right to make it clear, like it's your right not to like my opinion.  ;)

Regards

Peter Duggan

Quote from: GiNi3D on October 08, 2004, 04:30:21 PM
But also Peter you need to understand the clients point of view, and not always the dev's view.

For sure, but (to play devil's advocate rather than make a dangerous value judgement) we could also argue that we're talking more about consumers than clients when dealing with free products of this nature.

QuoteBut I also believe if a company or an organization can't deliver something in a reasonable amount of time, they should admit it, no matter what it is, and not keep people with foggy statements.

So it goes on both ways, forum user need to understand the mechanism behind these projects, but at the same time, these organization need to be more considerate with software's that needs to be up to date, for the sake of the users and themselves too.

So it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise to hear that I have no quibble with these sentiments when expressed in this more moderate manner.

QuoteI just don't like the way they are handling this delay, and it's my right to make it clear, like it's your right not to like my opinion.  ;)

And I'm also happy to agree with you there! :)

Cheers
P

Advertisement: