News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Marcus's Support Thread...

Started by Marcus72687, July 03, 2007, 01:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcus72687

I have a forum with simple machines LLC.

How do I change my website domain name?

I did the domain name wrong.

Fiery

Hello,

I assume you mean your actual domain name: IE: www.google.com

If so then that has nothing to do with SMF, you will need to contact the registrar (the company you used when you registered the domain)

Marcus72687

How do I do that?

This is the domain name that's messed up wwwtorrentsforum.freesmfhosting.com

And it's power by simple machines.

So I want to rename that domain name to make it shorter.

And you can visit the site to check it,but help me.

Fiery

freesmfhosting.com actually has nothing to do with SMF (other then they use SMF software).  All SMF does (the "company", that is represented by this website) is provides software and support for it etc.

freesmfhosting.com is just a site that offers SMF services to other people.  We do not endorse them, support them or anything, they are completely separate, we have no direct power over them.

I cannot go in and change that for you because of the reasons above.  You will need to contact their support  http://support.freesmfhosting.com/

Thanks

Marcus72687

We'll is their a way I can get me a Forum created with ya'll and a domain name,like the guy with the zelda forum...

Fiery

All we do is provide the software and support for it.

I would really recommend that you start reading the online manual, specifically Installing SMF

Drunken Clam

Quote from: Marcus72687 on July 03, 2007, 01:53:46 AM
I have a forum with simple machines LLC.

How do I change my website domain name?

I did the domain name wrong.

Clearly you have a problem understanding 'the internet' let alone SMF!

You started This Topic, and This topic,yesterday, then promptly deleted yourself and re-registered again??

Please re-read what people have told you.

Thanks!

Kindred

marcus,

This is apparently your THIRD user and your THIRD attempt to question us, without apparently reading any of the answers.

I responded to your first set of questions with very clear answers and babjusi did the same with your second set... now you come back and ask the same questions with the same answers.
You don't seem to be getting it.

1- get yourself a host. Hosts will usually have some sort of deal on registering a domain name as well.

2- smfforfree and freesmfhosting are not related to simplemachines.org, nor are the y supported here. If you have questions on either of those services, then I suggest you ask your questions on the support forums that THOSE services provide.

3- When you comprehend how to get yourself a site, then come back here and read the documentation on setting up SMF on your own site.

We can help you set up SMF, but only after you have your own SITE. The SMF software needs a site to reside on and simplemachines.org does not provide hosting services.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Marcus72687

Do you know anybody that I can host with for free to start my Forum and name the domain website?

I also need it to have this MySQL/PHP/XHTML/CSS/XML

THANKS...

codenaught

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=180358.msg1147885#msg1147885

Why do you keep starting new topics and at the same time ignore the replies that are made to them?

Topic locked.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

Marcus72687

I am hosting with 9999mb.com.

But I can't get the simple machines,smf_1-1-3_install.

Kindred

what do you mean, you can't get the install?

You can get the actual archive file from the downloads section?
You can't figure out how to upload it to your server?
You can't figure out how to run the installation after uploading the files?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shadow82x

This could help you install your forum. http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=2.0;sort=subject

Are you getting errors when you try and upload? Is the SMF downloads section not working?
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Marcus72687

I uploaded the Smf 1-1-3 install files using,LeapFTP to my 9999mb.com

But I don't know how to get the installer running to get to the forum...

shadow82x

Read over the install docs.

QuoteAfter uploading the files, go to http://www.yourdomain.tfl/smf/install.php (or the directory name you choose). If the first page comes up with a dialog requesting FTP information this is because you are running on a Unix-like server. At this stage, just enter in your FTP details and the install program will attempt to set permissions on your server accordingly. If, however, you wish to do this manually or this initial step fails simply connect to your server with your FTP client and change the permissions on the following files and directories to 777. On most client software, this is achieved by right clicking on the files you wish to change, and going to Properties, CHMOD, or Permissions, and then typing in the number.

Like that said make sure everything is chmoded to 777
How to chmod?
Colin B

Marcus72687

The link you supplied does not work...

shadow82x

What link?
For example for your forum it would probably be

subdomain(what you choose).9999mb.com/install.php

You probably have a sub-domain that you choose from your host. (Subdomain.9999mb.com)
Colin B

babjusi

Quote from: Marcus72687 on July 05, 2007, 02:07:30 PM
I uploaded the Smf 1-1-3 install files using,LeapFTP to my 9999mb.com

But I don't know how to get the installer running to get to the forum...

Simply point your browser to the install.php. i.e. www.yoursite.com/forum/install.php

Note: Forum stands for the directory where your smf files are at. If you uploaded the smf files to another folder, then instead of ''forum'' write the name of that folder.

Or if you uploaded the smf in the root directory, then point your browser to www.yoursite.com/install.php

Kindred

this also assumes that you have EXTRACTED the files from the forum installation archive before uploading the set...
Слaва
Украинi

shadow82x

Quote from: Kindred on July 05, 2007, 02:25:56 PM
this also assumes that you have EXTRACTED the files from the forum installation archive before uploading the set...
And if he chmoded correctly

Also read this on how to run the installer
Colin B

Advertisement: