News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Marcus's Support Thread...

Started by Marcus72687, July 03, 2007, 01:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunken Clam

Quote from: Matt @ ARTcom on July 14, 2007, 03:54:32 AM
Would you expect Microsoft to install your programs?  Would you expect Mozilla to hold your email?  No, you'd download the software and install it on your own and install your own programs, and retrieve your own email through Thunderbird.  Likewise, SMF should host free SMF sites... they provide you with the software to download and create your own on your own web server. (Maybe not the best analogies, but you get the idea)

It really seems that you are very very very new to the whole web designing/hosting thing... let me try and at least get you started in the right direction...

First and foremost... www.google.com (the best resource EVER)
http://build-website.com/
http://www.learnthenet.com/english/section/webpubl.html
http://www.buildwebsite4u.com/

The above links explain domains, hosting, simple page design, ftp, and more.  I think you really should get a grasp on those concepts (infact, I think anyone should before diving into a forum, or at any other sort of advanced web site), before attempting large scale applications.

Thanks Matt, I've been working on a similar post for Marcus, and others, but you beat me to it!!

Perhaps something like this needs to be placed on the doc site as a, 'Must Read Before Posting', topic, so that people who do not understand how the web works can get a little insight before attempting to install SMF etc.

greyknight17

Kindred

you can also try using the search function on this site...   as you have been asked to do nearly a dozen times already.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

Marcus,

We've already gone through this *ALL* with you, at least three times.

1- READ **ALL** of the other posts that you have started and the answers in those threads.
2- READ the documentation on installing SMF.
3- USE the SEARCH function on this site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kindred

Marcus...

do you even know what CSS or XHTML mean?
those are not something that a host offers...

and I doubt that mysmf offers ftp access...
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

For your convenience (and our sanity) I have merged the 6 pages of individual posts into one thread...

Alll of your questions have been answered (multiple times) in this thread.   Read it. Learn it.
Слaва
Украинi

Drunken Clam

tumbleweed

Ahh man he got me to :)

I learned this:
If you reply to someones thread and they PM you to tell you they replied back in the thread

Turbulent waters are ahead LOL
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

greyknight17

@Marcus72687: Are all your questions answered? If so, we will close this topic up :)

Advertisement: