News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Easy way to block domain...?

Started by !Hachi!, July 12, 2007, 07:43:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

!Hachi!

SMF Version: SMF 1.1.3
can we block registration from one country say like Russia.
if i add ban trigger  like this :
Host name: *.ru
          will it block all emails starting from .ru?so they will unable to sign up.!
*: looks like its working for approval waiting users don't know about new comers.any confirmation on this will be appreciated.
Happy Ramadan

redone

Well if its set for your approval it should work. I doubt it would be that useful as they would just use another domain such as .com or gmail or yahoo or something like that.

If your having issues, manually approve members for a while and weed out the applications you don't want to join.

!Hachi!

actually i want to block all mails from .ru.i wish i have to block all russian IPs.russian friends no offense please.
Happy Ramadan

Harro

If you add that nobody with an email address ending on .ru will be able to sign up.
Most of the spam on my forum comes from *@mail.ru though

!Hachi!

yep mail.ru and others domain from russia...i have no healthy collection of banning all those mails....lolz.
       anyway guys thanks for our input.
Happy Ramadan

Douglas

Admin > Ban List > Add a new ban > Ban via email:  *@*.ru

IP bans are a bit more tricky, though more effective.  I really need to get my IP sheet worked up, as I had about half of the available IP's listed, broken down by country....
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

!Hachi!

Douglas IP are more tricky and effective no doubt in that but alot of users get inside it....but will love to have all those ips by country at least from RU and Vietnam.
Happy Ramadan

Douglas

Hassan, I stopped working on that project, as I felt it was a waste of time, plus once a week updates is a bit daunting.  It's not a guaranteed fix, however, I will definitely rethink the project.

FYI, the site is/was www.ipandcidr.com
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Advertisement: