News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Bookmarks

Started by Matthew K., July 16, 2007, 01:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAULVK

Bookmarks 2.4 in SMF 2.0 no exist??

if ($alreadyAdded)
return $txt['bookmark_add_exists'];

has been eliminated?

biohazard388

I just tried installing on 2.0.2 and got the following text at the top of my forum. After uninstalling it and looking through the installation menus, display.template shows up with only the second edit as successful. Numbers 1 and 3 are 'test failed'.

Here's a screen shot:

I'm wondering, should I just go in and hand-code in the 1st and 3rd edits manually? This is only a live forum, so I don't want to risk breaking anything.

Kindred

Somehow your text strings got added after the ?> in the strings file? Move it back to he nd to fix it....  And try using search next time. ;)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

Quote from: Kindred on August 16, 2011, 01:58:58 PM
cosmicxxx,
what you are asking for would require a fair amount of additional coding, since the classifieds are not even stored in the same table or format as the messages.

shuban,
conceptually, you would have to open the database table, read the number of bookmarks for that person and write is back out.
The problem that I see is that that information would then be loaded for each and every page load, since the menu is loaded and reloaded each time. This increases the database overhead.
Mind you, you could read the result into the user array.... but then that would take more additional coding.

How much time would it take to code something as simple as this? I really like this change because it makes the modification more user friendly and important.

:(

live627

Less than an hour I think

Biology Forums

Quote from: live627 on January 04, 2012, 12:55:13 AM
Less than an hour I think

I found this mod: Count unread topics on index... Which does exactly what I want but for the unread topics - not the bookmarks. If I knew how to code well, I would simply rearrange the changes to suit the bookmarks. :(

wynnyelle

My server shows VERY high usage of CPU for bookmarks, yet I cannot find an error on the admin panel where it does so. Would you know what might be the problem?

teos55

SMF 2.0.2  Simple Portal 2.3.4    Default theme

Installed  bookmars2.4 sucssesfuly. No error messages, only subs.php failed due to some other mod's change so I manually added the code before calendar as indicated.

Now, only admin sees the buttons but not the normal users.

What to check ?

It's urgent,  since I announced the mod to the users !!! 

--------------------------------------

FOUND ...

in permissions, it has to be enabled for normal users. It's not mentioned anywhere, did I miss it ?

Kindred

almost every mod has a permissions setting.... it should usually be assumed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

whatsit

Quote from: teos55 on January 09, 2012, 03:35:26 PM
SMF 2.0.2  Simple Portal 2.3.4    Default theme

Installed  bookmars2.4 sucssesfuly. No error messages, only subs.php failed due to some other mod's change so I manually added the code before calendar as indicated.

Now, only admin sees the buttons but not the normal users.

What to check ?

It's urgent,  since I announced the mod to the users !!! 

--------------------------------------

FOUND ...

in permissions, it has to be enabled for normal users. It's not mentioned anywhere, did I missed it ?

Thank you so much for that info.

I had NO IDEA about having to set permissions for all the mods. I don't know where it says that but it was not apparent to me.

You're a life saver - thank you.

Ray Cardillo

I have been helping to maintain & improve a forum that's used for a private team site.  This bookmark mod was great, but it was not working on the old "core" theme on a 2.0 install (2.0.2 to be precise).  I had to make a quick change to the packaging info so I updated the version as well (even the 2.4 version published on the SMF mods site was incorrectly marked as 2.3 internally).  See attached 2.5 version that works on 2.0 "curve" and "core" themes.

By the way, if the original author is not around anymore, are there any Moderators around that can help turn this over as opensource so everyone can help maintain it?  Also, is there any way to give attribution to other contributors?

I'm kinda new to the SMF mod community, but I have another mod I'm currently working on that I intend to publish soon, and I would like to submit it to the community so others can help maintain it once I'm done just like what I've done with Bookmarks... my way of giving back to the community.  :)  So any advice would be appreciated.

Author of the Voter Visibility mod customization.  Adds the ability to see (and control who sees) who voted for what.  Allows you to conduct secret ballots.  Can also be used to coordinate volunteer signups, and more.

Herman's Mixen

Aaron is sometimes around here you could pm him here to authorize maintenance of his mod if he is willing to do that ;) 
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Illori

sorry only the original author can give anyone else approval to update the mod and distribute it so your version has been removed.

Ray Cardillo

Quote from: Illori on January 27, 2012, 01:24:39 PM
sorry only the original author can give anyone else approval to update the mod and distribute it so your version has been removed.

Oh, sorry, did not realize that... I didn't see any license agreement in the zip file or anything like that so I assumed it was an open license.  I think it's obvious that I was just trying to help.  Other communities do stuff like this to help their "mod community" grow and be self-maintained.  Does SimpleMachines have any sourceforge sites to fulfill this purpose or anything like that?  It would be a great way to have the community grow "organically" without any one author needing to always be responsible... everyone benefits and can contribute as they have time... plus the old "if I were hit by a bus tomorrow" argument... it would suck if nobody else in the community were allowed to make contributions.

So if it's not being done already, I think it would definitely be considered.  Thoughts?
Author of the Voter Visibility mod customization.  Adds the ability to see (and control who sees) who voted for what.  Allows you to conduct secret ballots.  Can also be used to coordinate volunteer signups, and more.

Illori

we dont have any like sf, and the mods unless they include a license are considered be a closed license.

we have to go along with the license, even if the author does not update the mod it is still their property.

Aaron

Version 2.5 was released minutes ago. It's changelog reads:

• * Try doing a better job at adding the 'add bookmark' button to old-style Display templates. (Thanks, raycardillo)
  • & Added a Croatian translation.

Matthew K.

Nice to see you stopping back in occasionally, Aaron! :)

Illori

for some reason the mod will not parse on the mod site

"Sorry, but the modification could not be parsed."

Herman's Mixen

coz of some of the changes what are made into the mod site ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Illori

Quote from: The Burglar! on February 07, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
coz of some of the changes what are made into the mod site ;)

and what does that mean? there have not been changes to the mod site recently that would break the parser.

Advertisement: