News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

YaBB Gold converter does NOTHING at all

Started by boris, December 14, 2006, 07:01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boris

SMF Version: SMF 1.1
I tried to convert from Yabb Gold 1.3 to SMF 1.1 using the latest converter.

After entering the correct paths and password, I immediately receive
  Converting...
  Successful.
  Recalculating forum statistics... Successful.
and nothing has been converted at all. Even if I omit the MySQL password or enter invalid paths, the result is the same. Obviously the converter does nothing.

Server: Apache 1.3 - PHP5.2 runinning on Winn2000 (local test server)

Any ideas??

JayBachatero

This is an issue if your sessions are not being saved.  Who is your hosting company?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

boris

My hosting company, in this case, is me, myself & I !
I have set up SMF on my local machine, and it seems to run without problems.
Well, except for the converter.

Ok, this may be a configuration problem with Apache or PHP. I confess I am not really a pro in this field, could someone help me out?
Currently Apache & PHP are running the default configuration.

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

boris

As stated above (nevermind the spelling mistakes)  ;D

OK, I repeat: I am running an Apache 1.3 with PHP 5.2 on a Windows 2000 machine.

boris

You have got me on the right track!
session.save_path in php.ini was pointing to a non-existant folder!

A partial success:
I reached Step1, but:
Converting...
Converting membergroups... Unsuccessful!
This query:

INSERT INTO `smf`.smf_membergroups
    (groupName, onlineColor, minPosts, stars)
    VALUES (SUBSTRING('Forum Founder', 1, 80), '', -1, '';

Caused the error:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 3

But thats better than nothing, isn't it?

The YaBB forum was heavily modded, so there could be some incompatibilities...
I will now look into the converter code to see if I can fix this issue.

I'll keep you informed!

JayBachatero

The stars and online colors are not being converted.  Might be a problem with converter.
Follow me on Twitter

boris

It IS a problem with the converter: simply a bug (bracket missing near the end of the statement in line 166). The bug is only triggered if there are additional membergroups.

I have found a few other problems, and I am going to fix them next week. Once I get to the last step, I'm going to send you the script that worked.

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

boris

OK there we are...
Attached is the script that finally did it!

All changes are commented, just search for 'bug'. I also added support for the LastVisit mod.

Another issue that almost drove me crazy:
If you are logged in when you start the converter, and you check "delete users & messages", you won't be able to log in afterwards, unless you delete the SMF cookie manually!!
The reason is: The converer deletes the admin user you have established during the installation, but you still have the cookie set. Now when SMF checks the cookie, it sees ID_MEMBER=0, although you are trying to log in with another ID, and issues the "Check your cookie settings" message.

JayBachatero

Thanks for providing the changes that you made.  I'll look into implementing these changes to the current files.
Follow me on Twitter

iougs

Boris:
you sql file works great!
converted from sp 1.4 to smf 1.1.1 successfully .. at least, it seems to have worked.
thanks a lot.

coralsea

Boris - You are the man!!!!  :D

I was going crackers debugging my Yabb Gold 1 SP 1.3.2 to SMF 1.1.1 convert. The errors it was spitting out made, no sense and changed each install I did (5th time's a charm ?). Didn't see this thread the first time I looked in the forum. This should be a sticky for YaBB 1 folks and a no brainer for the great SMF folks to incorporate.

Thanks for giving back.  

ret

Just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Boris and everyone else who's worked on the YaBB 1 Gold converter. My host abruptly pulled my site (YaBB based for years - 2000 registered users, 10000 topics, nearly 70000 posts). Apparently YaBB is on their "banned list"

Anyway, having hacked the perl code in YaBB so much over the years, I didn't hold high hopes for a conversion to work, so I was just blown away that it worked first time. The only thing I had to fix was the per-board permissions (was MBCO extension).

So thank you everyone.

cheers
RET

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum [nofollow]

Advertisement: