Is SMF Open-source?

Started by BMW-Guy, October 17, 2004, 06:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMW-Guy

Is SMF Open-source? Just curious.... :)
I get paid to drive Porsches!

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of
doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations.
Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of
propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.
~ (Tractatus Logico Philosophicus; Wittgenstein)

[Unknown]

Depends on your definition of open source.

It is everything that makes it open source (you can modify it, you can distribute instructions to modify it, you can view the code....) except two things:

- you are not allowed to modify the copyright notice displayed (not that you can ever modify the copyright in even GPL software.)
  - you are not allowed to redistribute the forum/software itself, without written permission.

These two things have been done to reduce issues that we have experienced with YaBB SE when it was GPL.  Most of them are caused by the general public's misunderstanding and misusage of GPL and GPL software.

Please search for "open source" for more information.  I also suggest you read the license:

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

-[Unknown]

BMW-Guy

Thanks. :)

One more question:

so, is SMF in any way, protected/affiliated/related-to/etc. the GNU or GLP licensing agreement? Thanks.

Philosophy aims at the logical clarification of thoughts. Philosophy is not a body of
doctrine but an activity. A philosophical work consists essentially of elucidations.
Philosophy does not result in 'philosophical propositions', but rather in the clarification of
propositions. Without philosophy thoughts are, as it were, cloudy and indistinct: its task is to make them clear and to give them sharp boundaries.

Trekkie101

It isnt possible to touch the copyright, i tried to add my little touch to it, and i changed what was written slightly, big mistake, nice message it then displays.

BMW-Guy

Well, even phpBB has a copyright which it protects, but I want to know if SMF is "protected" (under open-source licenses such as GNU/GLP) in the same way that something like phpBB is. ??? :)

Trekkie101

Not 100% but i think its GNU, dont quote me though, what is phpBB's message when the copyright is changed.

Grudge

SMF has it's own license, written in conjunction with a copyright lawyer. It gives SMF all the legal protection it needs if someone were to decide to breach the license agreement.
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

While phpBB is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), SMF is under a "custom" license, titled the Simple Machines License.

SMF of course is copyrighted, and we do have a lawyer to help police it.  It like all software (GPL or not) is "protected" under international copyright law.

-[Unknown]

Trekkie101

Does it still have that bright red text with the huge letters if you change the copyright (I only chnaged it slightly and left the text that was needed) it was horrible.

Trekkie101

or has a nicer message been created.

Grudge

It does that for a reason, so people don't change the copyright! If you want to add to it do what I did on my site and just add your text after/before the function call!
I'm only a half geek really...

Trekkie101

I changed the file name and made it look for the new file, it didnt work to well but that wasnt on a public forum just my testing forum.

† ÐëepÇuT¹ †

Quote from: [Unknown] on October 17, 2004, 06:14:53 PM
Depends on your definition of open source.

It is everything that makes it open source (you can modify it, you can distribute instructions to modify it, you can view the code....) except two things:

- you are not allowed to modify the copyright notice displayed (not that you can ever modify the copyright in even GPL software.)
- you are not allowed to redistribute the forum/software itself, without written permission.

These two things have been done to reduce issues that we have experienced with YaBB SE when it was GPL. Most of them are caused by the general public's misunderstanding and misusage of GPL and GPL software.

Please search for "open source" for more information. I also suggest you read the license:

http://www.simplemachines.org/about/license.php

-[Unknown]
Suppose if I find a forum [/color] which is using SMF 1.0 RC2, but has removed all the copyrights by someway, or if it has done something wrong like call SMF something else say like "Powerd By Ultima", which the forum adminstrator has copyrighted, what should I do; can I report it or something
o.0?

~ DeepCut
   ~ DeepCut
     ~ DeepCut (Sorry went a little wind with all these nice features :) )

Personal Website
x3Generation - gaming
graphics and anime.

Favorite Forums
> SimpleMachines Forum
> GamerzPlanet Forums

[Unknown]

Yes, it would be best to report such a thing to Jeff Lewis, myself, our lawyer, or someone else on the team.

-[Unknown]

Trekkie101

It wouldnt be hard to spot.

Advertisement: