News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Living Avatars

Started by subduck, July 23, 2007, 04:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

subduck

Introducing Living Avatars!

Alrighty, this took over a year to create, here we go!

Living Avatars is a cool mod for SMF that will allow your users to have customizable avatars. Your users will be able to collect items such as characters & clothing by spending points, and then move the items around on a canvas until they press 'Save Avatar' which will update their SMF avatars.

Here is how it works in detail:

1) Download and install Living Avatars to SMF (install instructions below).
2) Once installed, go to the Living Avatars admin panel and under settings click 'Add Forum Link'.
3) The user profiles of your members will now have an extra link:

4) Now, the more a user posts on your forum, the more points he or she will earn. If a user has posted 500 times then that user will start with 500 points.

5) Once users have a few points, they can then start spending their points to collect items:

6) Now that they have collected a few items, they can customize their avatar:

I highlighted the canvas in red, in that box (the canvas) you can use your mouse to drag items around. It seriously works beautifully.

7) Now, press the 'Save Avatar' button and your avatar on SMF will be updated:

You can of course also edit the cost of items from the Living Avatars admin panel:

And that's it! Cool yeah?!

Ok, so on with the install instructions:

Installation Instructions:
Installation is very simple, just follow these steps and you shouldn't have any problems (if so, then I'm sorry and I'll try and help you out asap!).

1) Download & Extract living_avatars.zip
2) FTP the living_avatars folder to your forum
Example: http://www.yoursite.com/forums/living_avatars/ [nofollow]
3) Run the install example: forum/living_avatars/install/install.php)
4) CHMOD the Living Avatars 'avatars' folder to 777 (this folder: /living_avatars/avatars/)
5) Delete the install folder (/living_avatars/install/)

Now that Living Avatars is installed, go to the admin panel of Living Avatars and click Settings -> Add Forum Link.

Upgrade Instructions:
1) Download & Extract living_avatars.zip
2) FTP the living_avatars folder to your forum (overwriting previous Living Avatar files)
Example: http://www.yoursite.com/forums/living_avatars/ [nofollow]
3) Run the upgrade (living_avatars/install/upgrade.php)
4) Delete the install folder (/living_avatars/install/)

Uninstall Instructions:
1) If you enabled the forum integration link from the LA Admin Panel, then login to the LA Admin Panel and disable it.
2) Drop these tables:
la_admins
la_avatars
la_groups
la_items
la_itemspurchased
la_packs
la_pointsspent
la_positions
la_settings
3) Delete the living_avatars/ folder.

Why should I use Living Avatars?
"Grow your forum with Living Avatars" - Simply that! Not only is Living Avatars a lot of fun to use but it's also addicting. Users will want to post on your site in order to gain enough 'points' to purchase a certain item (ex: Sword of Doom!). Imagine having certain items that are rare & expensive, such as "Dracula's Cape" which can only be purchased 3 times and costs 50 points (aka posts)...get it?

How can I create Avatar Packs?
Please read this tutorial if you are interested in creating avatar packs:
http://www.livingavatars.com/help/p2_articleid/2 [nofollow]

How can I get new Avatar Packs?
Tons of avatar packs located here:
http://www.livingavatars.com/avatar_packs [nofollow]

Download Living Avatars:
Click here to download Living Avatars 1.1.3 [nofollow]

subduck

karlbenson

Nice.  Havent tried it myself (busy working on my own mods ;) )  But as feedback goes, it looks nice.
I'm sure their will be some interest in your mod

Have you submitted it to the smf mod site?

puma07

yeah.
i think it for VBB and IPB.
yeah.
i love it
[nofollow]

tambay_lang

can I just upload it using the mod install in smf and not ftp it?

puma07

yes.
i have just intalled it.
demo: www.lopa7.net.tf [nofollow]
[nofollow]

howeler

I like the concept but when I try to upload I get

"The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF. "

And when I try to Follow your directions above I get...

"Living Avatars can only integrate with SMF's using Database Sessions"

What do I do to install?

ArkServer

can anyone make a 1.12 version from it? thanks.. :D

Vinspire

Woah ..... this mod look uber cool !!!! Anyway, why aren't it in the "Mods & Packages" sub-board?

dakotaroar

The only forum for students in North and South Dakota!  Campus Dakota.

Tidea

Bump, how come this cannot be isntalled through the installed package? :(

scrawl

that's impressive top work

howeler

BTW I did get this to install on my SMF 2.0 site... I had to change some of their code... I posted it on ther fourm. Hopefully they will make the changes official and release as a 2.0 mod.

It is very cool... Quite a few of my members have started posting instead of reading because of the point system...

Bulakbol

It really looks good. Teenagers will enjoy it.
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

capabmx

Hey, congrats on that mod, it is awesome. Listen if you get this, can you give me some info on how to delete the points system, and incorporate the SMF Shop for it? If not I can figure it out myself after a little bit of copy and pasting and what not. Thanks though, and cheers, again this is wonderful!
Always looking to take on a web design/ programming job :], PM me if interested.

subduck

Quote from: capabmx on September 20, 2007, 09:32:59 PM
Hey, congrats on that mod, it is awesome. Listen if you get this, can you give me some info on how to delete the points system, and incorporate the SMF Shop for it? If not I can figure it out myself after a little bit of copy and pasting and what not. Thanks though, and cheers, again this is wonderful!

Sorry, but I don't have enough time to do that.

capabmx

Hey man, it's cool :), is it ok if I modify it on my forum though so that it works with the Shop? I won't redistribute it or anything I'll just change it for my site. Again nice!
Always looking to take on a web design/ programming job :], PM me if interested.

subduck

Dumpling

I'm not sure if this thread is considered "old". If it is, I didn't mean to necropost/grave-dig and sorry for doing so.

I am wondering if anyone know if this mod is compatible with SMF 1.1.4.

I went to the Living Avatars site and it says this mod works in SMF 1.1 to 1.3. I tried asking in their forum, but it's dead (I was the only one on there).

:) I'm very into cutesy stuff. I really want to use this mod in my forum. :P

Advertisement: