News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Tutorial] ''How to backup&restore your forum in several different ways''

Started by babjusi, July 23, 2007, 10:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrybanana5000

I have done this as I am switching hosts but when I imort it to my new host it says access denied.

babjusi

Quote from: angrybanana5000 on August 07, 2008, 01:45:01 AM
I have done this as I am switching hosts but when I imort it to my new host it says access denied.

Access denied to what? Is the access denied to the db user for the db that you have created? If so, make sure to give the user full permission and access to the database. If that is not the case, can you please post here the full ''access denied'' message that you are getting?

Gà Mái

-- I love SMF --

tittiger

Does the built in SMF tool also restore the database?

And what of the SMF directory files themselves? How to back them up and restore
and are there any caveats?

From experience I know that backups and restores have a lot of pitfalls.

Personally  may try installing SMF into a Joomla database, whether or not I am using
the Joomla installation because then I can use Joomla Cloner http://www.joomlaplug.com/
to do both the backup and restore.

It seems sort of round about but like I said, too many pit falls
with most methods.

dwd2000

Thanks for the "Restore" tutorial.
I have 3 sites and accidentally overwrote an index.template on one site with another. (all using "default")
Lucky I backed up a few days before with tables included.

30 years ago I was young and foolish.
Now I'm just young.

DAMMIT JIM...I'M A TWEAKER...NOT A CODER!!!

Dave's Games

vaarplezier

When i try to restore with phpADMIN:
vaarplezier-complete_2008-11-04.sql

i do get the next message :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SQL-query:

CREATE TABLE `smf_vaarpleziersessions` (

session_id char( 32 ) NOT NULL default '',
(X) last_update int( 10 ) unsigned NOT NULL default '',
DATA text NOT NULL default '',
PRIMARY KEY ( session_id )
) TYPE = MYISAM ;

MySQL retourneerde: 

#1067 - Invalid default value for 'last_update'
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i also tried with my other backup files and i get the same message ... :(
Tot later,Georges

babjusi

@vaarplezier, try to search the forums as this kind of error has been asked/answered plenty of times before :)

Swayforth

I am not sure if this has been asked yet or not but how would i restore to a fresh install of SMF into a new folder on the same site/host and restore the forum like it was in the original site.

Original site running version1.1.7 upgraded from 1.1.3 install so im not sure if the databases would match when i restore to a clean install of 1.1.7.

I found this infor very helpful cuz my database is 15mb and have learned of new ways to restore which i will try when i get off of work.

thanks for any help you could provide.

babjusi

Quote from: Swayforth on November 20, 2008, 02:55:48 PM
I am not sure if this has been asked yet or not but how would i restore to a fresh install of SMF into a new folder on the same site/host and restore the forum like it was in the original site.

Original site running version1.1.7 upgraded from 1.1.3 install so im not sure if the databases would match when i restore to a clean install of 1.1.7.

I found this infor very helpful cuz my database is 15mb and have learned of new ways to restore which i will try when i get off of work.

thanks for any help you could provide.

There are no db changes among the versions of the same series, so a 1.1.3. db will be restored fine in a 1.1.7 forum :)

Now, for the other part, you want to move your forum from a folder to another one? Cos if that is the case, no restore is needed. Can you tell me exactly in which folder your forum is and in which folder you want to move it?

Swayforth

thanks for your quick reply. Reason why i want to change directory is to do a fresh install of SMF then restore back to it. /forums to /forum.

When i first started using SMF i installed it from the control panel on godaddy ... well i have different issue with this and would like to install it fresh and not use the control panel.

Plus i am using this as a learning experience for a backup/restore, better to know before you need to do it  :P 

babjusi

Quote from: Swayforth on November 20, 2008, 04:12:20 PM
thanks for your quick reply. Reason why i want to change directory is to do a fresh install of SMF then restore back to it. /forums to /forum.

When i first started using SMF i installed it from the control panel on godaddy ... well i have different issue with this and would like to install it fresh and not use the control panel.

Plus i am using this as a learning experience for a backup/restore, better to know before you need to do it  :P 

As I said, if you want to change folders then no restore is needed. All you have to do is rename your forum folder from forums to forum via the ftp client or the file manager in the cp of your host and run the repair_settings.php file to straighten out all the urls, paths and the other settings :)

If you want to exercise yourself with the backup/restore process, then you can install a test forum, export the db from your live forum and import it at the test''s forum''s db.

Swayforth

I'm not changing folders just to change folders ... i want a fresh (manual - not installed by godaddy software options) install of SMF with all my data in it.

Reason i want to do this is because i tried to update SMF using godaddy and it killed the forum had to roll back to get it up and running again. Well i would much rather install it myself and not have godaddy install it. (i think i was trying to get the core files to match)

File Maintence - Check all files against current versions.

i know im just being picky but i have always learned that if you want it done right you need to do it yourself :)

thank you for your help though

JeffGoudreau

Ok. So my friend with his server is getting attacked by viruses and he says I have to find new hosting for my site. It is version 1.1.11 www.canadiankayakanglers.com and here is the problem Im running into. I dont know what I am doing :( haha. I was told that the option 1. SMF forum maintanance option you are suggesting isnt going to backup the gallery and the avatars and possible other things. I need to backup the entire site. Which option would you suggest someone that has no experience at this. I am willing to learn. I just dont want to disappoint my members and have us lose everything when we do a server change. Also do you guys know what server host is best for SMF? I was told that Godaddy isnt the greatest and Im not sure which to go with. Suggestions would be appreciated :)
Thanks

Lucky Chance

Hi everyone!

I have a SMF Community which I also just aquired a WHM account with a new host.  I have been trying to get This Site which is a addon, into it's own Cpanel.  I have tried the steps above each time I do however I am getting a error.  I don't know what I am doing with this part of websites, never have done it, have attempted is all.  I asked host if they would do it I can copy all files etc, just don't have enough knowledge on doing the database and would assume not lose 6 months of postings. 

Does anyone know how to move a Addon from a WHM into it's own cpanel?  Can you describe step by step on how to do for SMF?  I would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks

Advertisement: