News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

2 Serious Bugs in RSS

Started by DavidCT, July 24, 2007, 03:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCT

RSS Feed, SMF v1.1.3 (latest)

1) RSS feed shows EMAIL of author of post even if set to not make it public in user settings
2) *serious security flaw* Feed shows admin-only areas in feed

I hope you guys think this is as important to fix as I do :)

Thanks for the software.

SlammedDime

What URL are you using to access the feed?  I can't reproduce #2 on my live or test site.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

karlbenson

welcome to smf! Enjoy your stay.

I'm sure some of the staff here will take a good look at the 2 bugs you reported here.

Edit* well a member of the team responded before i could ;)

DavidCT

Visit my url/forums and view my feed.  I think my settings are correct as guests can't view the admin board and emails are off.  The admin area is "Deleted Posts" where I put spam and such, I don't know why :)

SlammedDime

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

DavidCT

I feel like an idiot - it only does this if logged in as ADMIN.  Ignore/delete the whole thread :(  Sorry to waste your time, I just paniced when I saw my email going public to the spambots LOL

karlbenson

I've checked your forum.

Any chance you are logged in as admin when your seeing these posts?
For me as a guest, I can't see any areas I shouldnt

*Edit: Guess so
Well glad we managed to figure it out.

DavidCT

Yeah, I never would have thought it mattered (actually, it shouldn't - so technically it is a bug just not a serious one)

karlbenson

If your an admin and were viewing rss feeds in your browser (including if you have an automated extension on your browser).
I'd expect then you would want the ones in the 'private' forums.
So being logged in is necessary ;)

Hence not a bug ;) ;) ;)

DavidCT

Yes, I suppose so.  Okay, I already admitted to being an idiot so don't rub it in LOL

Can we delete this whole thread?  :P

karlbenson

No, we'll keep it for your future grandchildren to see ;) ;) ;)

LOL

(Don't worry, this topic will probably get moved to the Fixed or Bogus bugs forum)

DavidCT

I hope so, it is a bogus bug by a bonehead bum.

Okay which one of you using Cox cable loves my robots.txt file?  You hit it like 2 dozen times :)

karlbenson

Cox Cable, not I (I'm BritishTelecom)

Please don't feel I'm shooting you down.

Its always better to report anything you believe is a bug in the software.
With some other well known forum software, the mere suggestion of a bug generates an aggresive rebuttle (hence why their software gets hacked all day, every day).

We will see whether I end up with egg on my face for the bug report I just posted ;) ;) ;)

greyknight17

Looks like it's not a bug after all then ;)

Both issues resolved then?

karlbenson

;) both resolved

A mod moved this from bug reports to general support. I think they were aiming to moved it to bogus bugs?

SlammedDime

I moved it to the appropriate board now. :)
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

DavidCT

I disagree - it should be moved to the recycle bin :)

karlbenson

At least if its in the bogus bugs area and someone searches for the same thing thinking it was a bug, hopefully they will find their way to this topic ;)

KB

DavidCT :
I can tell you feel embarassed, but please take some relief in knowing that there are others out here that can learn from your situation.  I feel like an idiot too, because I was wondering the exact same thing!!!!  My site has some sensitive content areas as well, and I am new to this RSS deal, so when I saw that some of the private content was in a test feed url...I was more than a little worried about exploitation myself.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I really thought you should know that the rest of us idiots appreciate your "martyrdom" ;)
..lol..but seriously...thanks and dont feel bad!!!

I do have one nagging question, which Im hoping will be ok to post in this thread, because I need still need edumacat'n and  cant seem to find the answer or a more appropriate thread via search. 
So, what if I were to submit a rss url to a aggregator(?) service  like feeddemon?   If the url was "generic" or not board specific, would a non-member subscriber still not see the "private board" info???

Thanks!!! :)

DavidCT

The URL to the RSS feed in SMF is defined by SMF, you don't define it by board.  Either way the feed is generated "on-the-fly" when someone hits it and only information available to that user group (i.e. guest, admin, regular joe) is shown.

I see my feed on My.Yahoo and it doesn't show the admin stuff.  Log out as admin, view as guest, and you'll see what other people see.  I paniced when I wrote this originally but it appears to work properly :)

Except for minor flaws here and there, SMF is wonderful software - FAR superior to PHPBB.

Advertisement: