News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Joomla & SMF - this is a disaster !

Started by joejackson, July 25, 2007, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragooon

青山 素子

Quote from: Dragooon on July 26, 2007, 11:57:00 AM
Why not Tinyportal?

Joomla has a lot more features than TP. Although that could work for some people it won't for everyone.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Ronny

Quote from: joejackson on July 26, 2007, 11:49:31 AM
Thanks again.

I feel as if I have two options now...

a) Joomla bridged with phpBB
or
b) Mambo bridged with SMF

I like SMF but it all depends on how good and easy to use Mambo turns out to be.

Switching over to Mambo isn't right because then you'll have the same license issue as with Joomla. There only one option left over and that is convert your SMF to PhpBB2 or later on PhpBB3. PhpBB doesn't have a licenseconflict. They are working on a bridge for PhpBB3 with the upcoming Joomla 1.5.
It's real sad to leaving SMF. I have changed few years ago from PhpBB to SMF, SMF suits much beter, excellent forumsoftware.
PhpBB3 looks also real nice, great step forward comparing to PhpBB2. So I wait for the stable 1.5 and than sadly convert my SMF over to PhpBB3. Thank god there is a good alternative => PhpBB3, but be patience ;)

Orstio

QuoteSwitching over to Mambo isn't right because then you'll have the same license issue as with Joomla.

No, you won't.  That's FUD being spread to scare people away from doing it.

It is up to the copyright holder to determine how they will enforce their license.  Mambo's determination is completely the opposite of Joomla's.

sektor

It is realy very sad that SMF bridge will discontinue.

For now, my website works ok, but I am sure there would be a time when I have to decide what to do.

Leaving Joomla is not a option for me, for many reasons. One of them is that i use many of Joomla's components.

So i guess i will just switch to phpBB myself.

Jeff Lewis

It's too bad Simple Machines didn't have their own CMS for use...too bad we didn't have a central kind of feature wish list...
Co-Founder of SMF

karlbenson

Quote from: al0000 on July 26, 2007, 08:24:04 PM
So i guess i will just switch to phpBB myself.

I'd take my forums offline before I did that!

KSE75

Hi,
it's not possible to release the bridge with GPL license?
O Porto é uma Nação
FIFA Manager

Kindred

please read all of the posts. This has been discussed and explained.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ormuz

Quote from: KSE75 on July 27, 2007, 07:32:49 AM
Hi,
it's not possible to release the bridge with GPL license?

Hi mate, look to the blogs discussion!

vancanneyt

blame joomla for it, it's not joomla's fault it's just something about the licenses.
i thought mambo is also GPL so it still illegal also. my opinion if ytou switch to mambo is running away from a licence problem to a future license problem...
if you know a bit coding you can do a lot with SSI.php inside joomla, and if you know Joomla! 1.5 then you know it has authentication plugins (examples: Gmail, Ldap, OpenID) wich could make it possible without using functions of SMF (so it would be legal following the GPL).

Kindred

Vancanneyt,

You are incorrect on most counts.
Mambo copyright is held by a single entity. Therefor, they can easily (and have done so) make an exception to the GPL. Mambo allows nonGPL components to be linked to Mambo.

Yes, you can use SSI to do some stuff. However, this does not handle dual-login and maintain a dual userbase bteween the systems.

and any bridge for 1.5 would ahve the same issues as the existing bridge, it links a nonGPL product with a GPL one...   which is forbidden by Joomla's license and the FSF explanation of the licesne terms.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Favazza

As I see it there are no good forumsolutions for Joomla at the moment, and that is a shame.
Planning for upgrading my current site, and then it will be Joomla, but not as long as things doesn't work. I'm running phpBB today and sure, it works great. But there's no smooth integretation, and as I said, no one has.  :(

Stallyon

Good lord, this has stirred up a hornet's nest over at Joomla forums. They seem to be blaming SMF and a "lack of communication and one of many other over-reactions". An admin also goes on to hint to people that SMF will be lost without Joomla because most people find SMF through Joomla (I sure as heck didn't).
Kris Bell
Dahulu Tim Penerjemah Bahasa Indonesia (Former Indonesian Translation Team)
stallyon@bigpond.com

Tidak menerima pesan pribadi (PM) jika tidak diminta (no unsolicited private messages)

Attention: Spelling errors in this message are the product of a poor school system. Pay teachures more than athleets.

Praedator

Quote from: Stallyon on July 27, 2007, 12:33:14 PM
Good lord, this has stirred up a hornet's nest over at Joomla forums. They seem to be blaming SMF and a "lack of communication and one of many other over-reactions". An admin also goes on to hint to people that SMF will be lost without Joomla because most people find SMF through Joomla (I sure as heck didn't).

Not new, blaming others is more simple for the Joomla! guys insteed to realized that the FSF's opinion combined with OSM/Joomla's hard-core GPL interpretation is more than faulty.
Predator

- Time is a created thing. To say, "I don't have time" is like saying "I don't want to."
- Lao-Tzu......

Praedator

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on July 26, 2007, 09:41:43 PM
It's too bad Simple Machines didn't have their own CMS for use...too bad we didn't have a central kind of feature wish list...

Maybe dreams come true :D
Predator

- Time is a created thing. To say, "I don't have time" is like saying "I don't want to."
- Lao-Tzu......

青山 素子

I know this is an emotional issue for many of you, but please don't make attacks against any of the parties involved. Both SMF and Joomla! hold their own opinions on this matter and their own view of events. While we may disagree with some of the actions of Joomla!, we nevertheless respect their position and ask that you hold some respect too.

If anyone has suggestions on how to make a proper bridge without running into license issues, we welcome a public description and discussion on this.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

karlbenson

Quote from: Motoko-chan on July 27, 2007, 12:52:52 PM
If anyone has suggestions on how to make a proper bridge without running into license issues, we welcome a public description and discussion on this.

Maybe we could do a with topic with a list of potential ways which have been ruled out (and a quick explanation as to why)
eg
using php exec() - impractical
releasing bridge under GPL - still would make SMF a derivative of Joomla
releasing smf under GPL - various reasons
joomla granting an exception - they have no authority to do so (which is why they opted for GPL (Pure)

I believe that would help the calm debate where the same ruled out ways are continually put forward
help to find more alternatives
show the extent which has been investigated

青山 素子

Another option ruled out:

Using a "layered" bridge system with GPL and LGPL shells - as the project stated extending API classes classifies as derivative, this is unworkable (my understanding might be a bit off here, Orsito, please correct this post if I am incorrect)
Motoko-chan

antracit

Quote from: Kindred on July 27, 2007, 10:19:10 AM
Yes, you can use SSI to do some stuff. However, this does not handle dual-login and maintain a dual userbase bteween the systems.

and any bridge for 1.5 would ahve the same issues as the existing bridge, it links a nonGPL product with a GPL one...   which is forbidden by Joomla's license and the FSF explanation of the licesne terms....

Hi

I'm no coder but if I use a CMS that don't need a plug-in to authenticate the user in SM database, then it would be ok since its only i call to the database, right. I mean any php script can query the SMF database and get authentication? No other interaction, themes, bridges, just asking two tables name and password.

Like I've tested with moodle (no CMS) very successfully? It's very simple. Just change 1 setting to use sha-1 and the database tables.

Regards

Johan

Hi

Advertisement: