Help, My Host Messed Up My Site

Started by avidum, July 29, 2007, 01:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidum

I am hoping someone here can help me. I had my host upgrade my site from 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 this month. In doing so I lost most of my modifications. He tried to reinstall them but for some strange reason, things were doubling up, eg. after installing the ad management mod, the ads would double. I did not add the code twice. So after unistalling and reinstalling nothing works. It says the mods are successfully installed but do not show up. My host told me that he could restore the backups from June but I would lose July's posts. That was fine with me, but now he tells me that it looks like it was replaced with the July backup just a few days after he did the upgrade. He doesn't know what to do and now I don't know what to do. All I know is my site is screwed up and I would appreciate any help to get this fixed.
Thanks.  :)

shadow82x

Don't really know what happened but if you don't have any mods installed I suggest reuploading all the install files except upgrade sql and install.php. That should than fix the errors in the theme and modifications.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

babjusi

Change your host quickly. They seem not to know what they are doing

shadow82x, what are you talking about? There is no upgrade files in the install package.

It is the install.php and the settings.php and settings_back.php file that he shouldn''t reupload if using the install package to overwrite his current smf files. Please, be a bit more careful when giving advice

avidum

Quote from: babjusi on July 29, 2007, 01:53:45 PM
Change your host quickly. They seem not to know what they are doing

shadow82x, what are you talking about? There is no upgrade files in the install package.

I am looking now on this site for a new host. I don't know how to do what shadow82x suggested above, I am not a computer person at all. I need a host that can help me with my site, adding certain things etc.

shadow82x

I'm talking about replacing the files becuase they could of became corrupt. So when you install a mod it does not install correctly.
Colin B

babjusi

Quote from: shadow82x on July 29, 2007, 02:01:20 PM
I'm talking about replacing the files becuase they could of became corrupt. So when you install a mod it does not install correctly.

You told him to overwrite the files with a fresh set from an install package. But you failed to tell him to leave out  the settings.php and the settings_back.php files, which is very important when doing something like that

shadow82x

Quote from: babjusi on July 29, 2007, 02:09:08 PM

You told him to overwrite the files with a fresh set from an install package. But you failed to tell him to leave out  the settings.php and the settings_back.php files, which is very important when doing something like that
Sorry my bad thanks for correcting me. ;)
Colin B

avidum

Quote from: babjusi on July 29, 2007, 02:09:08 PM

I am a she by the way. lol  I still don't know what to do? Like I mentioned before, I am not a computer person so I need step by step help.

shadow82x

1) You must download a fresh install
2) You must upload reupload everything EXCEPT settings.php. Also don't put the install.php in. Uploading meaning overwriting the current files in FTP
3) Reinstall your mods
Colin B

avidum

I'll have to get my host to do this, since I have no clue. I just hope he doesn't mess it up even more.

avidum

Quote from: shadow82x on July 29, 2007, 02:35:40 PM
1) You must download a fresh install
2) You must upload reupload everything EXCEPT settings.php. Also don't put the install.php in. Uploading meaning overwriting the current files in FTP
3) Reinstall your mods

Ok my host did this and I reinstalled one mod to see if it worked. It says it installed successfully and shows up under the browse pkgs but is not viewable under the configurations. I don't get it.

shadow82x

Are you using a theme other than the SMF core? If so you have to manually install it.
Colin B

avidum

I'm using the girlyman theme. What I did was downloaded the mod and then uploaded it into my ftp file manager. It keeps saying the mod is installed but nothing shows up. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hi,

It'll only show up if you are using the default theme. You need to manually apply the theme changes to all themes, except for the default one.

Best Regards,
Christian A. Herrnboeck
MonteCarloHosting.Net

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

avidum

Quote from: ChristianH. on July 29, 2007, 08:08:53 PM
Hi,

It'll only show up if you are using the default theme. You need to manually apply the theme changes to all themes, except for the default one.

Best Regards,
Christian A. Herrnboeck
MonteCarloHosting.Net

Ok here is a dumb question, how do I do that?

shadow82x

Please search before asking. This can be found on the online manual.
Colin B

avidum

I just noticed in the theme forum that the gurlyman theme that I am using is not compatible with 1.1.3, does that make a difference?

shadow82x

No any diffrent theme other than the SMF core will have to have the mods installed manualy.
Colin B

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Hi,

If the theme isn't compatible, then it really shouldn't be installed - it may have bugs.

That was a very bone-headed way of upgrading. The proper way, would have been to apply the patch, which would have kept your site intact.

Regards,
Christian

avidum

I honestly don't think my host knows what he is doing. I guess I should try to install a new theme then right?

shadow82x

It has nothing to do with the theme. ALL THEMES you will have to manual install mods UNLESS if its the SMF core theme.
Colin B

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Quote from: shadow82x on July 29, 2007, 09:23:49 PM
It has nothing to do with the theme. ALL THEMES you will have to manual install mods UNLESS if its the SMF core theme.

PLEASE read the OP's questions, and PLEASE ONLY answer things you know! If the theme isn't compatible with SMF 1.1.3, there is no point in using it, or spending a lot of time modifying it, now is there?

avidum: Yes, it's best to find a theme that's 1.1.3 compatible. It's pretty much a taste thing, but HarzeM's DilberMC are some of the best themes for SMF (IMHO).

Regards,
Christian

shadow82x

I hate to disagree or start anything but most themes in 1.1 are the same thing. The files are what changed in the 1.1 upgrades not the theme files. :)
Colin B

avidum

Quote from: ChristianH. on July 29, 2007, 09:33:54 PM
Quote from: shadow82x on July 29, 2007, 09:23:49 PM

PLEASE read the OP's questions, and PLEASE ONLY answer things you know! If the theme isn't compatible with SMF 1.1.3, there is no point in using it, or spending a lot of time modifying it, now is there?

avidum: Yes, it's best to find a theme that's 1.1.3 compatible. It's pretty much a taste thing, but HarzeM's DilberMC are some of the best themes for SMF (IMHO).

Regards,
Christian

Thanks Christian for your help. I will check that one out.

redone

Older themes will work, sometimes you will see log entries in your forum error log because they are not up to date and can produce such entries.

Always be aware that upgrading your board etc will remove any custom modifications that have been made.

The best thing is to start from scratch with your forum and take a good backup. There are many very nice 1.1.3 themes around anyways.

I encourage everyone to read the online manual before attempting to upgrade or install SMF.

Online Manual

avidum

Well I did what you said and started from scratch. I tried adding a mod and just like before it said it installed successfully but it still does not show up.

shadow82x

Quote from: avidum on July 30, 2007, 05:40:18 PM
Well I did what you said and started from scratch. I tried adding a mod and just like before it said it installed successfully but it still does not show up.
Did you manual install it?
Colin B

babjusi

What is the default language of your forum?

avidum

Quote from: shadow82x on July 30, 2007, 05:41:12 PM
Did you manual install it?

Yes I did.

avidum

Quote from: babjusi on July 30, 2007, 05:42:17 PM

It is english.

babjusi

Quote from: avidum on July 30, 2007, 05:46:13 PM
Quote from: babjusi on July 30, 2007, 05:42:17 PM

It is english.

English or english-utf8?
P.s. What mod was it that you installed and it didn''t show up?

avidum

shadow82x

Quote from: avidum on July 30, 2007, 05:59:19 PM
You got me. I have no clue.
You can check... Admin >> Server Settings >>  Default Forum Language >> :)
Colin B

babjusi

And if your default language is english-utf8, change it to plain english and see if that would help

avidum

It says english.

I tried to install the ad management mod that I had before the update of 1.1.3 and it worked fine. Since the upgrade, it won't show up. It was not just that mod but all the mods that I had before.

Christian A. Herrnboeck

You are using the default theme, right? When you applied the MOD, did it say succesfull? Did you have any failures? Does your forum error log show anything?

Regards,
Christian

avidum

Quote from: ChristianH. on July 30, 2007, 07:15:46 PM
You are using the default theme, right? When you applied the MOD, did it say succesfull? Did you have any failures? Does your forum error log show anything?

Regards,
Christian

Yes, what I did was reinstalled smf using the default theme, then tried to install the ad management mod. It said it installed successfully. No failures at all. But I just looked in my forum error log and yikes, it has lots and lots of errors. Why is that?

avidum

It seems that every post now shows up in the error logs. Can someone explain why that is happening?

Christian A. Herrnboeck

But what is the error? I can't help you, if I don't know what's wrong ;) There can be hundreds of different things going on here... Please post the error log :)

Best Regards,
Christian A. Herrnboeck

avidum

I can't unfortunately, the site is not up. I did a fresh install and my host tried to restore the backups and it failed. Now I am not sure what to do.

avidum

I have the backup on my local machine and I need to know how to split the file up into smaller ones, so I can import it using phpmyadmin. Right now its about 145mb compressed and 450mb uncompressed. Does anyone know of a program that will do this?

Herman's Mixen

Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

avidum

Quote from: The Burglar! on August 02, 2007, 07:29:31 PM
you can maybe use this applic http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump.php

Thanks, not sure what they mean by: "Some text editor like Notepad to edit the configuration file." What is the configuration file?

Herman's Mixen

bigdump.php itselfs but proberly don';t need to only file in your db details  ;D
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Christian A. Herrnboeck

bigdump.php is a php script that slices one large file into many smaller ones for import into MySQL. You need to edit its config so it points to your forum's database via a text editor, and then upload it to your host. Then, you need to upload the database backup to your host too (via FTP), so that it can be split & inserted.

My question is, why doesn't your host just use mysql at the shell. It's much faster and less error prone. If that failed, so will restoring via PMA (or any other method).

Regards,
Christian

avidum

Quote from: ChristianH. on August 03, 2007, 09:19:43 AM
bigdump.php is a php script that slices one large file into many smaller ones for import into MySQL. You need to edit its config so it points to your forum's database via a text editor, and then upload it to your host. Then, you need to upload the database backup to your host too (via FTP), so that it can be split & inserted.

My question is, why doesn't your host just use mysql at the shell. It's much faster and less error prone. If that failed, so will restoring via PMA (or any other method).

Regards,
Christian

Hi, the file is too big and it says that the maximum it will import is 51,200KiB.
I am not sure but I think Bigdump is in beta and I heard that it might only partially restore my database.

tumbleweed

As Christian staated just have your provider import the database via shell.

I am pretty sure it can import that size of file if it resides on the parent server.

Just contact your provider he should be able to help with that.

tumble
G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

avidum

I contacted my host and he said he will get it done soon. Will update later. Thank you!

avidum

I had someone else do it for me and now my site is backup and running! I am so happy. Thank you to all who have helped me out here.  :)

Advertisement: