News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Invision 1.3.1 --> RC2, losing messages, help for French section

Started by Meriadoc, October 20, 2004, 04:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meriadoc

Hey, a French user is having problems converting over from Invision 1.3.1 Final to SMF 1.0 RC2.
Apparently it gives no errors and says everything is successful. But after conversion their forum, instead of having ~5000 posts, only has ~800!!
What's going on here? What info do you need from the user, what help can I give to the user? I'm not familiar with the converters at all, so I'm in pretty deep ;)
Thanks guys
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

[Unknown]

The converter does not recalculate statistics properly.  Ask them to go into their Forum Maintenance and try the various recount and repair options.

-[Unknown]

Le_Bodyguard

Hello,

It's me i have this problem, excuse me for my english.
I have make
QuoteAsk them to go into their Forum Maintenance and try the various recount and repair options.
but don't walk. just supprim messages, because they don't appared.

What do?? :-[

[Unknown]

[Unknown]

And "Recount all forum totals and statistics" changes nothing?  That shouldn't be....

-[Unknown]

Le_Bodyguard

yes it change, but i have more messages deleted :-[

(edit - translated supprime)

[Unknown]

If you could give me FTP and database access, I might be able to test the problems with the converter and help resolve them.

-[Unknown]

Le_Bodyguard

Excuse me i don't make this, it's a private forumnd i have never see you. excuse me, if you have another solution i prefere

Oldiesmann

Le - [Unknown] is the lead project developer here. It's perfectly safe to give your FTP info to him (or any other team member). He's just trying to help.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Meriadoc

what Oldiesmann says is true. [Unknown] is one of the main guys around here, so don't worry about giving him access to fix the problem. He did write the convertors too, so he knows how to help.

(just a second reference here)
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

[Unknown]

Actually, Grudge wrote most of most of the converters.

-[Unknown]

Lyric

2[Unknown]:
forum.votkinsk.net .... can you help me with convert them to smf if i give mysqldump?
На коробке с программой было написано "Requires Pentium 4 or better" - поэтому я купил Athlon.

Grudge

Lyric,

It shouldn't be necessary to give Unknown a dump. Here is what I would recommend doing (simply steps), that will mean you can do a "test" conversion, and then switch to SMF once you are happy:

1) Install SMF somewhere on the forum site. For example, create a directory call "temp" on your forum site and install a fresh copy of SMF there (RC2), this will mean you have an empty SMF install and still your existing forum working. Install it into the same database as your currently forum install but use the default prefix of smf_
2) Upload the converter to the directory where you install SMF and run it

That, in itself, should create a near-perfect copy of your forum on the SMF install. The benefit of doing this is it will give you time to get used to SMF and be sure the conversion worked before making it "live". Once you are happy with SMF you can then simply move the contents of the SMF directory to where you invision files currently are (Guessing the "forum" directory), and use a tool on the downloads page here "repair_settings.php", to update the forum settings and presto it will be working.
I'm only a half geek really...

PeteS

I decided to run the "repair_settings.php" file since I had a bunch of posts that were missing replies. I had previously tried all the fix and repair options in the admin panel to no avail and then saw this thread that resembled a problem I am having. I still have missing replies to posts from my conversion from IPB 1.3.1 Final to RC2.

In addition, only some of the Last Post fields are populated on the main board page.

[Unknown]

Quote from: PeteS on December 10, 2004, 04:00:26 PM
I decided to run the "repair_settings.php" file since I had a bunch of posts that were missing replies. I had previously tried all the fix and repair options in the admin panel to no avail and then saw this thread that resembled a problem I am having. I still have missing replies to posts from my conversion from IPB 1.3.1 Final to RC2.

In addition, only some of the Last Post fields are populated on the main board page.

And you've clicked on "Recount forum totals and statistics" from forum maintenance?

-[Unknown]

PeteS

Yes I did, and posts are still missing bunches of replies. For example, I have one thread that has maybe 15 replies, but after converting only 3 are showing up...and they are the three most recent ones. I also have threads that are completely missing. There's no common denominator that I can see on the surface between all the threads that are affected, but something is definitely wrong during the conversion.

Could it be something related to my IPB database? I've tried fixing any errors in it, as well as optimizing tables, but nothing seems to fix the problem.

[Unknown]

Hmm... interesting.  I don't suppose I could ask for a database dump?

I would guess that the replies are either not being converted (why?) or that they are somehow being assigned to a different topic.

-[Unknown]

PeteS

Sure thing...do you want me to just back up the database and email it to you?

[Unknown]

PeteS

Sent. By the way, do you want my IPB dump also?

[Unknown]

Yes, actually, that was what I meant - sorry, I should have been clearer.  It might also be helpful to know the subject of a topic that is now missing replies.

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]

PeteS

Right as it finished the conversion, this is the message I got:

QuoteRecalculating forum statistics...
Notice: Undefined variable: db_prefix in /home/newhopev/public_html/forums/invision_to_smf.php on line 2147

Warning: Wrong parameter count for mysql_query() in /home/newhopev/public_html/forums/invision_to_smf.php on line 2148

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/newhopev/public_html/forums/invision_to_smf.php on line 2149

Warning: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/newhopev/public_html/forums/invision_to_smf.php on line 2157
successful.
Converting forum settings... successful.

Then I got the option to convert attachments, which I didn't do. But it does appear that all the threads, at least that I can tell so far, have converted.

[Unknown]

Oops, sorry, fixed that one... shouldn't cause too much trouble though, that it failed.

-[Unknown]

PeteS

Ok, I'll try a few more tests to verify everything and get back to you. Can you tell me what the problem was?  Was it something in my database?

[Unknown]

Quote from: PeteS on December 19, 2004, 10:52:26 PM
Ok, I'll try a few more tests to verify everything and get back to you. Can you tell me what the problem was?  Was it something in my database?

I adjusted the number of messages being converted at a time.

What was wrong in your database was that the converted data had large missing sections of posts... for example:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 116, 117, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, ...

Notice the big gap?  I can only assume that it had trouble converting too many posts at once.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: