Previous topic - Next topic

Would you use a User created groups mod

Yes
15 (83.3%)
No
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Reclaimer

It would be nice if someone would make a mod where any user could create a group. Groups much like on Ning. This would be usefull on for clubs or social groups within a forum. I think that many people would use this mod and find it very useful.

Feature List (that I would like)

• Group Creator: A fairly easy way to start a group.
  • Group Admin Approval: Where the admin of the forum could choose wether or not new groups require admin approval before becoming active.
  • Group Home-page: Each group would have their own home-page, including a blog, custom Html or BBC, a news area, a certain amount of private message boards boards (depicted by the forum admin) which depending on the group leader (the guy that started the group) could be public or private.
  • Group E-mails: A simple and easy way for the group leader to send group newsletters
  • Group Member List: A list of all group members and a way to ban certain members from a group.
  • Joining a Group: An easy way of joining a group. If the group is an invitation only group there could be a form for the user to fill in explaining why he or she should be able to join the group, sending an e-mail to the group leader including the form so that the leader can choose wether to let the user into the group, and a way for group leaders to send invites to other users.
  • Group Moderation: A way for admins or moderators to moderate all groups.

Eliana Tamerin

Like Myspace/Facebook? Might be interesting.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Reclaimer

Is this possible beacause I think many smf users would like to have such a mod.

arihantjain

writerrobert680

So what you are saying is that any one of my members, regardless of current member group or staff position, can create their own "group(s)" and send newsletters, be admin over it, ect?

What would be the point of that? I just don't understand why you'd want a random member being admin of a group of people.

Reclaimer

Well just as a social group not as actual administration but for choosing who's in and who's out and whether it is by invitation or anyone can join, creating updates and their own page for the group and being able to send group e-mails. My website is a youth forum for my town so user created groups would be usefull for example if a leader of a club wanted to have a club group he could have a club page and club members could be part of this group. this is only one way theis mod would be useful.

erlend_sh

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on July 31, 2007, 04:07:32 PM
Like Myspace/Facebook? Might be interesting.
- That's probably the easiest way of describing it, yeah. But how it really turns out is up to the mod-maker plus the SMF community. If you ask me this could be an outstanding mod for chat-communities and the likes, so if someone decides to create a mod for this I hope it will be someone who is ready to provide proper support for the mod for a long time, not to mention make a first class mod out of the idea in the first place.

nitins60

This s something interesting! I love it too...

Just like Yahoo Groups, where users can join in private/public groups etc...

Reclaimer

So would any one be willing to make such a mod?

snakeplissken

I have been working on such a mod for a while now, well, I haven't touched it in a bit but I do aim to finish it.

You can check it out on my test site. You will have to register though as I still need to put permission checks in some areas for guests.

http://www.johncarpenterforum.com/snake

Reclaimer

Ooh very nice...but you cant put any thing in the text boxes. I would like to suggest a more customizable page, like being able to move items around and being a bit more space in-between 'blocks'  beacuase it felt a little claustrophobic, and have the discussion board within the group page.

like so axept with the feature I suggested in past posts:

But I think that your mod is quite impressive!

snakeplissken

Don't worry about the look too much at the moment, the mod is still in an alpha stage. It will undergo a facelift before it is released. I still have bugs to fix and some features to add before it is close to public release.

Reclaimer

perplexed

Quote from: Reclaimer on August 07, 2007, 02:01:44 PM
Cool can't wait!

I keep getting notices saying there are new replies here but when I check, it is still the same one with a different time on it.   

Eliana Tamerin

Snake's testing forum was removed, so there's nothing on this now. He hasn't responded to the PM I sent him ages ago, so I don't know.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

perplexed

he didn't reply to mine either :( but this topic was started by someone who didnt know about Snake's mod at the time, so the mod idea is still required if someone else could put one together.  I was going to start a fresh request with more details so as not to confuse the situation.

hash899

i was just wondering is this still possible since member clubs sounds really awesome and I'm really in need of it.

Advertisement: