News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

User Created Groups

Started by Reclaimer, July 31, 2007, 08:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you use a User created groups mod

Yes
15 (83.3%)
No
3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

excon

this is tha mod that i am looking for. nobogo's social group mod is not free. anyone have the same mod, please?

Arantor

Sure, it's not free, but it is very reasonably priced given the amount of work that went into it.

hash899

Quote from: Arantor on October 23, 2009, 03:43:46 AM
Sure, it's not free, but it is very reasonably priced given the amount of work that went into it.

smf is free to begin with but charging $25 for a mod is kinda over priced to be honest. if the creator of the mod really wanted to earn money he could have just made the mod for vbulletin or ipb.

and $25 is a bit much for a mod like that. in my opinion it should have been charged around $10.

thats just my 2 cents.

Arantor

Quote from: hash899 on October 23, 2009, 03:50:54 AM
and $25 is a bit much for a mod like that. in my opinion it should have been charged around $10.

thats just my 2 cents.

So, for a mod with thousands of lines of code, $25 is overpriced? This is why I don't write paid mods.

SMF is free because its creators wanted it to be free. But when someone comes along and puts hundreds of hours of development into something and wants a little recompense for that time, they get shot down.

If I may be utterly blunt: unless you could write it yourself, you may not be best placed to say how complex it is and whether that price is fair for what it does. It does an awful lot. I wouldn't sell it for under $50, and I know that NIBOGO already lowered the price once.

Remember: it isn't just the mod itself, it's also the time to support it.

hash899

well if u think why people r using smf for is because its free and usually they cant afford to pay for the expensive solutions like vbulletin or ipb. i dont mind if he is asking a little money but £25 is a lot for some of us. If he wanted money to compensate him for his time and effort then im sure people using vbulletin or ipb will be more than willing to do so since they can afford to.

Look at other mods like the media gallery mod, arcade mod or the ultimate profile mod and more. I'm sure they took as much time and effort or maybe even more to code then the social group mod but i dont see them askin g to be recompensated. anyways i'm just saying what i think not trying to argue or start a fight with the mod creator.

Arantor

It's not £25 - it's $25, which is quite a bit less.

I use SMF because I believe it is the best, not because it's free. If vBulletin were the best I'd use that, but it isn't.

I would also note that SMF Gallery actually has a paid-for upgraded version.

If I may be blunt - before I stop arguing - I am somewhat biased. I recently suggested that I'd write a mod for $25 with an extra $15 for custom installations (where I'd personally do it). I received over 200 PMs including some that *demanded* I release it for free, even given the hours I'd have to put in to develop, test and release it.

Many people write mods because they want to, but I know people are being put off writing mods because there is this mentality that everything has to be free. It's actually stifling development of larger mods, because people are increasingly feeling like they have to make it free.

If you were to put hundreds of hours into something, wouldn't you feel like you deserved a little in return?

Advertisement: