News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Image limit per-post.

Started by triforcemario, August 02, 2007, 03:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triforcemario

I've had an idea that would more than likely benefit every forum using SMF in a big way. By adding an image limit per-post (for example, the admin can choose how many images can be posted in a single post). The benefits from this could help reduce spam and image flooding, which both can slow down the entire forum, and in some cases, make it crash.

Peter Duggan

• Better refer folk to our previous discussion or they'll probably assume you mean attachments!
  • Has it occurred to you that it's as much the file sizes as the number of images that are causing the problems?

triforcemario

...Ouch, the obvious never occures to me until the last minute >_<

I really need to start sleeping more.

Still, if one has an limit size limit of, say, 640x480, that itself would reduse the size of the file, would it not?

Peter Duggan

Quote from: triforcemario on August 02, 2007, 04:18:10 PM
Still, if one has an limit size limit of, say, 640x480, that itself would reduse the size of the file, would it not?

Nope, because folk's ideas of 'optimisation' equate to significantly different levels of compression (or lack of it!) and you can also force down the pixel size of an image through HTML/BBC without affecting its byte size.

So you can set limits to both number of attachments and attachment file size, but limiting what can be posted with the img tag (short of removing it altogether) is a different kettle of fish.

Advertisement: