News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Internationalizing SMF on Wikipedia

Started by erlend_sh, August 09, 2007, 09:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erlend_sh

This isn't really a request, but more a recommendation and an idea. Still, this is the only forum I found fitting for this kind of thread.

I noticed that SMF exists in very few languages on Wikipedia. I already made a thread about this in the nordic sub-board, (where I also explain why I can't do the norwegian translation myself) and I was hoping that this would be of interest to people of other nations as well.

I can't claim this idea as my own though, as I first saw the community of Drupal being encouraged to do the same thing. I wouldn't say that covering many languages on Wikipedia is so much for publicity, but more for recognition and proof of establishment. Seeing full-fledged articles about a software in 30 different languages creates a very positive picture. Currently, SMF covers 6, whereas the phpBB wikipage can be read in 25 different languages.

I think SMF would be wise to shake up the community and start asking all english-speaking non-english users to give a hand and translate the english version into their own native language.  

Advertisement: