Search Enhancement Mod

Started by ioszilla, August 12, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skuzzy

Silly question.

The panel for this mod appears to be the same exact one that ships with SMF 1.1.4.

Is this mod built into 1.1.4 or does it simply use the 1.1.4 search panel?

I am only considering this mod as the search function that ships with 1.1.4 appears to have a problem when you try to sort by date.  It doesn't.  All of the other search sort options work, but not by date, which is rather debilitating for many searches.

FragaCampos

How can i change the search to google instead of www.mysite.com through google?

Btw, this is one of the best mods i have installed, and i have many ;)

Skuzzy

Quote from: FragaCampos on March 18, 2008, 06:03:44 PM

Maybe you can tell me.  Does sorting the search results by date work? 

FragaCampos

What i want is: i can choose 3 options from the drop down menu -  entire forum, members, and entire site. I f i choose "entire site" it will search for the words i want in google, but only inside my site. I would lke to know what can be done to search in google, but not restricted to my site. Thanks.

Skuzzy

Anyone have any idea about the sort option?  I would hate to try and install this mod if the one in 1.1.4 is the same thing.

Skuzzy

Ok, last time I will bump this.  Is there anyone who knows if this is the same search that is incorporated into 1.1.4? 

If not, does it fix the 'sort by date' option?

ioszilla

ioszilla

Quote from: fgoc on February 20, 2008, 01:21:04 PM
OK - have also now installed this mod on a fresh 1.1.4 install and have missing drop downs on the advanced search page (as per attached screenshot) The top quicksearch drop down is missing and the 2 on the main search page. Any ideas how to rectify? This happens using IE6, IE7 & Firefox.

Hmm.. the mod was tested to work with fresh 1.1.3/1.1.4 installation + default theme.

ioszilla

Quote from: Skuzzy on March 19, 2008, 09:07:02 AM
Quote from: FragaCampos on March 18, 2008, 06:03:44 PM

Maybe you can tell me.  Does sorting the search results by date work? 

It's always recommended that you play with a mod in a non-production environment (e.g. local LAMP) before you decide to install it on a live forum.

Skuzzy

wordzilla, appreciate the responses.  I do not mind trying a mod, but the fundamental question I still have is as follows:

Is this mod the same search function that is included in SMF 1.1.4?  I ask, as the search panel appears to be the exact same one.  I have multiple issues now with the one that ships with SMF 1.1.4.

1)  Search by topics does not find all the topics, and on many cases fins nothing, even when I make the post and then search for it immedaitely afterwards.

2)  The advanced search does not sort by date when asked to.  All other sort option work.

Now this may all be due to us using MySQL 3.23.xx.  I am stuck with that version due to the enormoous amount of software we have on that version.  Migrating to newer versions of MySQL is simply too risky as there seems to be some confusion as to how many things are actually not backward compatible in the newer versions of MySQL.

I am more than happy to install and test this, as long as it is a different version than what ships with SMF 1.1.4.  I just do not want to waste time if this is the same as what ships with SMF 1.1.4.

ioszilla

Quote from: Skuzzy on March 25, 2008, 08:51:33 AM
Is this mod the same search function that is included in SMF 1.1.4?  I ask, as the search panel appears to be the exact same one.  I have multiple issues now with the one that ships with SMF 1.1.4.

Yes, it's just a mod to smf's search function, albeit a major improvement over the original one. (IMO :P)

Quote from: Skuzzy on March 25, 2008, 08:51:33 AM
1)  Search by topics does not find all the topics, and on many cases fins nothing, even when I make the post and then search for it immedaitely afterwards.

2)  The advanced search does not sort by date when asked to.  All other sort option work.

Now this may all be due to us using MySQL 3.23.xx.  I am stuck with that version due to the enormoous amount of software we have on that version.  Migrating to newer versions of MySQL is simply too risky as there seems to be some confusion as to how many things are actually not backward compatible in the newer versions of MySQL.

My search mod makes heavy use of the MySQL fulltext search function, which is not provided in MySQL 3.x versions. Since I have done absolutely no testing of the mod with MySQL 3.x, I can't say for sure whether the mod will work or not. Even if works you might find it hardly justifies the time, efforts and risks without being able to take adv of the ranking algorithm of this mod. :(

Skuzzy

Thank you for the response. 

Hmmm.  So, my overall issues may be with the version of MySQL then.  I wish there was some way to upgrade without breaking everything else.  I guess I am stuck.

saosangmo

hi wordzilla, I wonder if you modify this mod for SMF 2.0?

ioszilla

Quote from: saosangmo on March 26, 2008, 10:03:06 AM
hi wordzilla, I wonder if you modify this mod for SMF 2.0?

It's possible, after the official release of SMF 2.0. SMF 2 looks v sexy BUT it seems to me that its database abstraction will add significant complexity to this search mod.

ivo2296

Hi,
i have small error in forum's log:
http://www.mydomain.com/index.php?action=search2
8: Undefined index: username
file: /home/xxx/public_html/Sources/Search.php
line: 2292

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Skuzzy

Well, I am in a position to install this mod and try it to see if it will fix the topic search problems I am having with the stock 1.1.4 search.

But I get an error when I try to install it, failing on Sources/Search.php

Here are the mods I currentl have installed.
--
Default Membergroup on Registration
Max Subject Length
Previous and Next Page Links for Page Index
Global Headers and Footers
Signature Settings Mod
SMF 1.1.4 Search "brd" Bug Fix (1.0.1)
Group Moderators
User Post Limit Options
Remove Quoted Images

ioszilla

SMF 1.1.4 Search "brd" Bug Fix (1.0.1) conflicts with this mod

Skuzzy

If I remove that 'brd' mod, and install your mod, will the fix that the 'brd' mod did still be covered?

Skuzzy

Ok, I went ahead and tried this mod.  It did not seem any better than the original mod with the problem I have.

The problem is the search cannot find any topics older than the day we migrated over from vbulletin.  This leaves out about 2.5 millions posts.  I got the body searches to work fine by rebuilding the table indices.

I even tried making the 'subject' column a FULLTEXT type and rebuilt the index again, but it made no difference.  Anyone know the trick to getting topic searches working for a preexisting database that has been brough over into SMF 1.1.4?

spiros

Is it possible for the site search option to have one's Google Adsense for search code?

Advertisement: