News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Search Enhancement Mod

Started by ioszilla, August 12, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark-Time

Well i removed this mod...will concentrate on it later...Thanks for the input..

Providing Cheapest Offshore Hosting as low as 5$/year.
MoneyBookers | AlertPay
Pm Me

milicik

I like this mode.

I installed and all works in defult theme. I also edit style.css and Search.template.php in my costum theme

but don't know to set index.template.php ... i tried 10 times and nothing. If someone can help me file is in attachments

Antechinus

Which theme is it and where do you want the search form to show?

milicik

Quote from: Antechinus on August 15, 2009, 05:18:51 PM
Which theme is it and where do you want the search form to show?

RocketTheme InternetGazette

I want search to be on the same place only i wont to user can chose,  entrie site ,members,  this broad or this topic

Antechinus

Got a link to that theme? I can't bring it up on a search of the theme site. It'd be better if I could throw it on my local host for live testing of the edit.

milicik

Can you made in index.template.php when member search something to always be Entire Site. Not sometimes This board. Tnx

milicik

Quote from: milicik on August 27, 2009, 07:34:03 AM
Can you made in index.template.php when member search something to always be Entire Site. Not sometimes This board. Tnx

meinit

Hi,

I've tried using this mod but it keeps failing the test for /Sources/Search.php.  I've tried changing Search.php from v115 back to v114 and still get the error.  I've also tried using v1.8.1 of the mod instead of v1.8.2 and still no luck.  There are no custom themes on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

meinit

Ahem..... :-[

Forgot to add that I am using SMF 1.1.10.

meinit

OK, so I've been doing a lot of digging into the files manually and, it seems that the previous webmaster attempted this option before and then abandoned it.  There are bits and pieces of the code from this mod in the files already.  I'm abandoning this for now.

Antechinus

In that case I would suggest getting a fresh 1.1.10 copy of the file and overwriting your bodged up file with the fresh one. Keep a backup copy of the current file just in case though.

meinit

ioszilla

Thanks a lot Antechinus. Any one interested in porting this to smf 2.0? :D

meinit

OK, so the above suggestion worked a treat and this mod is now fully functional on the forum.

Thanks to Antechinus for the suggestion, much appreciated :)  Thanks to ioszilla for the mod  :D 

Antechinus

Meinit, you're welcome. :)

I would absolutely love for someone to port this to 2.0. One of the things I am dreading about the move to 2.0 is being back with the standard SMF search.
When it comes to doing it myself the problem is that I'm damned sure my coding abilities are not up to it. I may be able to help out, but I'm far from being able to do the whole job.

ioszilla

ic Antechinus. Well your help will certainly be appreciated on this mod!! :)

I'm contemplating on starting to work on the 2.0 mod from next Wednesday after a review of the new 2.0 search code last night. A lot of hassle indeed but should not be excessively difficult in getting the mysql db support done first (and leaving out postgresql, sqlite for later).

I have right now two small requests:
1. Could you (or anyone) point me to a good documentation/discussion of the new 2.0 search scheme (more details the better)?
2. A SMF test forum/database with a reasonable amount of posts (e.g. a few thousands) for me to test the new mod on

thx

Edit: Attached a side by side diff report of Search.php between SMF 1 and 2.

Antechinus

Ok, I can get you a test site easily enough but at this stage it will have to be RC1 as I can't release access to dev builds under the team agreement. Will have to check if there are significant db changes for RC2. Obviously there are going to be a mass of template changes and some in Sources as well. I assume you wouldn't actually be aiming to produce an RC1 version of the mod at this stage. Just use RC1 for rough testing.

Question: wouldn't it be a lot quicker and easier to test this on a local? All you'd need is a suitable db backup to restore and off you go. 

ioszilla

Yup. I have local wamp all set up and ready, Actually a suitable db with a reasonable number of posts is all I need -- however as you know I don't host any forum myself it has to come from someone..

This particular mod has a built-in search ranking system that's a lot different than the official SMF one, of which I'm sure you are aware. The ranking system has to be tested as well, and preferably on a "natural" smf db with tons of posts.

btw, if I can get on the right track with this I think I should be able to release an alpha by mid Oct or earlier.

Antechinus

K, well I have db backups coming out my ears but the only problem is that they contain other people's PI. It wouldn't really be practical to get everyone's permission to redistribute. I might have to knock one down a bit and get rid of as much PI as possible, leaving only public content.

Posts are no problem. I can do you 80,000 and up worth of posts. What would be a reasonable minimum?

ioszilla

That's awesome! 80,000 sounds like a good number indeed.

Yeah PI was *exactly* the issue I've been worrying about. Fortunately there's won't be a need for this mod to make use of any PI at all, so feel free to remove them (personal acct info, private messages, etc.).

I know it's a lot of trouble getting rid of all the PI from the db, so thanks in advance!!

Advertisement: