News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Search Enhancement Mod

Started by ioszilla, August 12, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

K. Give me a couple of days and I'll knock something up. Might have to teach myself a few new queries to speed this up a bit. :D

ioszilla

Thanks Antechinus!! I rly look fwd to it, keep us informed and best of luck! :D

MrCreatoR

Is there any plans to add SMF 2 RC1.2 support?

spiros

spiros

Is it possible to have the result summary shown by default? (now you have to click on it).

ioszilla

Sure it's possible to have the result summary shown by default by modifying the search results template. It's a javascript thing.

p.s. due to time constraints I won't be able to keep up with the maintenance/support of this mod. Feel absolutely free to update/upgrade this mod if anyone is still interested. :)

spiros

Quote from: ioszilla on January 27, 2010, 07:01:22 PM
Sure it's possible to have the result summary shown by default by modifying the search results template. It's a javascript thing.

Thanks for the reply; how exactly do you change the code for that? Sorry for my ignorance...

I try turning to true but it did not work...

function ResultSummary($links_str, $expand = TRUE)

Got it, changed this

$expand_trigger = '';
if (empty($expand))
$expand_trigger = ' style="display:none;"';

To this

$expand_trigger = '';
if (empty($expand))
$expand_trigger = ' style="display:block;"';

Joker™

can someone make it to work with RC2
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Amendoim

Update to RC3  :-\
Very good mod ;)
Versão 2.0 RC2 Portuguese_Pt

Simple Portal 2.3 Portuguese_Pt

Em crescimento na programação :)

http://www.gamextuga.com

Abavagada

I installed this mod on SMF 1.1.11 and it works really well, except for one small thing I am puzzled by.
When doing a search with "Match whole words only" selected and even with "Match whole words only" selected in the admin controls, my search always find matches with partials.. like matching "all" with "actually". 

Anyone else having this problem, or know how to correct it?

Thanks

sharks

i really want to install this mod on my live forum, which has about 200k posts, but i tested it first on a test forum SMF 1.1.11 and i do not understand these options in the search boxes from the main forum page:

Entire forum
Members
Entire site

That last option "Entire site" is unnecessary, as there is already the "Entire forum" option. So, that last option should be removed completely.

Another thing, when viewing inside a board or a topic, the search list next to the search bar should automatically shift to show "This board" option, rather than "Entire forum", as the latter will never work, since SMF search works only within a board when viewing any board. It does not search the entire forum.
This mod does exactly what needs to be fixed: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1634

FragaCampos

This mod is very important to a forum with 50.000 + posts and since i'm going to migrate from 1.1.11 to RC3 i would like to know if there will be a RC3 version of this mod and if this mod is really needed on RC3 (i.e. if RC3 has it's ranking and missing results issues solved).

Thanks.

meinit

Quote from: FragaCampos on August 29, 2010, 06:50:19 PM
This mod is very important to a forum with 50.000 + posts and since i'm going to migrate from 1.1.11 to RC3 i would like to know if there will be a RC3 version of this mod and if this mod is really needed on RC3 (i.e. if RC3 has it's ranking and missing results issues solved).

Thanks.

sharks

I am still waiting for the mod creator to respond. Hopefully he will fix these problems and upgrade it along the way. I agree, this is indeed a crucial element of any forum, as searching should be made as accurate and user-friendly as possible for any forum software to be successful on any large scale applications.

If the mod creator has gone MIA, then hopefully someone talented can pick this mod up and continue its development. It would be a real pity to leave this excellent mod to die with no developer support.

Antechinus

I'm going to contact him and see if he wants to continue to develop it. I want a 2.0 verison myself. :)

If he's into it I'll get a test db together for him (which I was going to before I got sidetracked due to various factors). If he's not into it I'll see if we can take it over as an official mod. I would like to see this mod in 2.1 as a default feature but will have to see what other people think about that.   

FragaCampos

Now that's a good news.
I always thought that this should be a default part of SMF, since it's so important.
I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one to think that way.

Hope to see even more good news in the near future :)

sharks

Quote from: Antechinus on December 01, 2010, 05:03:34 PM
I'm going to contact him and see if he wants to continue to develop it. I want a 2.0 verison myself. :)

If he's into it I'll get a test db together for him (which I was going to before I got sidetracked due to various factors). If he's not into it I'll see if we can take it over as an official mod. I would like to see this mod in 2.1 as a default feature but will have to see what other people think about that.   

Ah! Now that's a really rare sight these days on SMF. An excellent idea and one that should have been done years ago!
I have been hoping and desperately watching for someone to come up and keep up the development of this mod.
Thanks for forwarding this incredibly useful mod to be integrated into SMF. Hopefully, this mod will be updated with support for SMF 1.1.12 as well.

naitram

has anyone taken over support of this MOD?

sharks

This is a must-have mod for all SMF forums. The SMF team should integrate this mod somehow into the default installation. It's sooo much better than the default engine, especially for bigger forums (every forum is bound to get bigger one day, right?)

Antechinus

We're planning on doing it as an official mod for 2.0. We've already cleared this with the author of the mod.

Advertisement: