News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Search Enhancement Mod

Started by ioszilla, August 12, 2007, 05:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharks

Quote from: FragaCampos on October 05, 2011, 09:15:12 AM
I think we should start a petition for high priority of this mod...
I fully agree. It's such an important mod, as optimal searching is a fundamental aspect of any forum. Really, this mod should be assigned to the SMF team, to ensure maximum compatibility and best possible coding/features.

spiros

Quote from: Antechinus on August 29, 2011, 06:30:47 PM
Not abandoned, but nobody has had time to work on it yet.

Maybe it could be flagged as a priority item or post an open invite to mod creators to adopt it? Just an idea.

sharks

I cannot install this mod 1.8.2 on a clean install of SMF 1.1.15. Is anyone having the same problem? Please help!

Antechinus

Spuds is looking at this one. Don't hassle him too much though. It is quite complex and the database structure of 2.0 is rather different to 1.1.x. :)

sharks

Quote from: Antechinus on October 15, 2011, 04:57:20 PM
Spuds is looking at this one. Don't hassle him too much though. It is quite complex and the database structure of 2.0 is rather different to 1.1.x. :)
This is great news! :) I will try to stay out of his hair and let him work in peace. lol.
Thanks for the heads up though. Many of us here, have been wondering for a long time on the situation of this excellent modification.

Eleglin

A really good news.
Thanks. :-)
No support by PM or Mail.

Bancherd

That's certainly a very good news, looking forward to the update.  :)

FragaCampos

Great news indeed, not only for those who are waiting for the upgrade, but also to SMF, because it's a better search mod than the original one.

I don't know if this was already raised in other topic or not, but i would like to see a donate button in every mod page. Although not obligatory, I think it would stimulate the mods' authors to continue their work, implementing new features and upgrades and would give more responsibility to those who use their mods. Just my two cents.

Spuds

Just a quick update ... I have this "working" in my 2.0 install but it will need quite a bit of testing, I'm sure there are bugs.  The original mod was a lot larger than I thought and more complicated then I thought, should have looked before I volunteered lol ....  then converting it to 2.0 well I think I suffered a mild brain hemorrhage or was that hemorrhoid :P

Not sure how to package this up just yet, it pretty much effects 3/4 of the search function, I guess since the license is open source now perhaps I can distribute the update in the package instead of making 17 large edits like poor wordzilla had to do.  Plus in 2.0 there are two class files effected as well.

Have not done much on the templates, just the basic input page, there were some big changes from 1.x to 2.0 in the search results pages so porting all of the mods updates over does not make a lot of sense. 

Anyway, work in progress and progressing :)

Antechinus

Spuds, if you want a hand with the templating give me a yell. I'd be right into that since I want to run this thing anyway. Can also help with testing.

Spuds

Quote from: Antechinus on October 28, 2011, 03:45:53 PM
Spuds, if you want a hand with the templating give me a yell. I'd be right into that since I want to run this thing anyway. Can also help with testing.
I've made my version of the changes, please feel free to fix/add as you like  ;)

So attached is the first early version of the 2.0 version of this mod.  It should install without difficulty on the default curve theme.

If you get the ever fun mod parse error on index.template just ignore it, all it will affect is the adding of the search pulldown box next to the search field at the top of the page.

The mod needs to be enabled, admin-> configuration -> modification settings -> enhanced search

When you find errors pls tell me what you did to create the error.  Also after installing on 2.0 you should go to routine maintenance and empty out the unimportant logs to avoid issues.

Lastly it really wants the fulltext index, not custom, although it should work with custom the relevance factors are not robust.

Also I noticed when I first installed it and did the initial search it found results but the result page was empty, not sure why but that only seemed to happenon the first search after installing, so still looking for that problem.

Use on a test forum, if it was a 2.0 forum upgrade from a 1.0 that search result comparisons could be examined that would be ideal.  This will have some bugs still and I need to go through each of the database query's again to make sure they are correct but wanted to provide something for folks to kick the tires on.

EDIT ... removed file, update below

Bancherd

Quoteto provide something for folks to kick the tires on.

I have installed on my forum, so far so good.  :)

Antechinus

Quote from: Spuds on October 28, 2011, 10:06:59 PMLastly it really wants the fulltext index, not custom, although it should work with custom the relevance factors are not robust.

The 1.1.x version was the same, but that's no drama IMO. Just run fulltext and everything's fine.

Spuds

I agree ... this mod really trys to address the many issues with fulltext index searching that cause people to go to the large custom index searches
to begin with.

I found a couple of query's that were not quite right, so they have been updated in the attached update. 

PS anyone else have a strange problem on this site where the posting textbox extends off the right side of the browser? FF 7.01

EDIT: Latest update attached later in thread

Antechinus

Haven't had a chance to try it yet (thunderstorm last night took the power out for a while) but will have a look tonight (assuming power stays on).

PS: No. Fine for me. XP SP3/FF 7.01

Bancherd

No problems seen with ubuntu11.10/FF7.0.1.

Spuds

Quote from: Bancherd on October 30, 2011, 06:34:03 PM
No problems seen with ubuntu11.10/FF7.0.1.
Thank you for the update, keep testing away :)

Bancherd

Things appeared to work properly when doing the search; however, I found these errors in the log.  This did not occur in the earlier version.

Spuds

Quote from: Bancherd on November 01, 2011, 07:50:07 AM
Things appeared to work properly when doing the search; however, I found these errors in the log.  This did not occur in the earlier version.
See ... I told you there would be bugs  :P  I think I have that all sorted, along with a couple of other errors I found along they way ..... here is the latest update

EDIT ... removed file

Advertisement: