News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Merge Script

Started by jimbo21, August 12, 2007, 06:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakotaroar

QuoteFor the next version I need to plan rules for merging members those are obviously the same. I have been thinking a rule like: "If login and email match then the two members must be merged into one". Merging of members means of course merging the related information like personal messages, posts etc. I have just noted that not everyone uses the same password for both forums and that might be a problem for them after the merge.

Have you considered offering the user a list of supposedly duplicate members (based on username), and then allowing them to select which members are actually duplicates?  Depending on what you are using this script for, this might be useful for all members (as annoying as that would be) so you can be sure to merge members who want their accounts merged.
The only forum for students in North and South Dakota!  Campus Dakota.

Eliana Tamerin

JummiJammix, are you planning to release this program?
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Knatchwa

At the risk of sounding like a noob I have a simple question for you in regard to this script. I just updated to v 4.0 using the full install after exporting the database entries to an xls file figuring I want to put them back. The Original Database Entrie Still Exists as SMF while the current database being used is smf4. what Iwould like to do is pull that data into the current install or use it as the primary database, the challenge is that when I initially followed the upgrade version and installed that at which point I was not able to login and kept getting the database error, so all was fine and the forum itself could be explored but only as a guest because no one was able to login. So really the question is how can I bring those posts back into the current install?

Thanks For Your replies.
To live is to ride @ http://biking.hok-international.net/ [nofollow]

To exist is to write @ http://writeit.hok-international.net/ [nofollow]

dakotaroar

I have not tried this in a while, but you should be able (BACK UP FIRST) to tell SMF the name of your existing database and table prefix when you install.

Say you have a database called "smf3" with a table prefix of "smf3_".  The installer will ask for a database name and prefix; rather than saying "smf4" and "smf4_", use your existing database name.  I believe this works, although I have no done it recently.  It should look in that database and say "gosh, things already exist, let's use those!"

Back everything up first, because there is a chance it will just overwrite the existing database.
The only forum for students in North and South Dakota!  Campus Dakota.

slackyboy

I was running a fansite for a friend of mine, I added an anonymous board which was a huge success. Unfortunately there was some drama (on a forum? surely not!). Anyway my friend decreed that the anonymous board had to go. I set up a new board to continue the good work.
How would I transfer the old anonymous posts from the old board to the new one?

jummijammix

Are you talking about a simple transfer or are you talking about merging messages from a populated board to another populated board? What is your board version? Are those both boards using the same version?

jummijammix

Eliana,

I haven't thought about that. Anyway perhaps not as my SMF installation is a very much modified one. Not only I have extra tables but also some core tables have many new columns. Also my "program" is actually a massive portal administration tool and to do the merge I just wrote a bunch of new java classes for it. So to offer a stand alone migration tool for standard SMF I would need to do too much extra programming and testing verify the functionality.
I could offer the migration as a service to someone in need as for that could be done in my development environment and it would be easier to handle the possible challenges those might arise.

Advertisement: