# of members browsing, but not logged in! Is this possible?

Started by Col, August 13, 2007, 12:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col

Hi,

I'm uncertain if this is achievable as I'm unsure of how cookies work. Assuming that when a member logs out the cookie is not deleted, I thought it might be nice to have listed along with guests and logged-in members, the number of members who are not logged-in.

Or, if the cookie is deleted, can it be replaced with another that doesn't even have to identify the member, but just that they are a member?

I just think it's a pity to see from who's online that members are browsing, but to others it looks like few members are about when the place is quiet (since these members are labelled as guests). It would be reassuring to new members and guests to know that members are browsing the forum (not just other guests) ready to login if there is a an urgent post that needs a reply.

If this is achievable, would someone like to code it?

Col

Having looked at this a little more, I see that the cookies are actually deleted. So, how about a new one being created at logout so that they can be added to the 'members browing' total.

Am I the only one that sees any benefit of such a feature? :-\

t0AsD

It could be beneficial, as some people log out because they don't want their access stored on the PC, and it's always nice to know who is online.

But it would have to be implemented in a way members can disable the cookie, so they can browse the forum anonymously if they wish to.

Col

Hi t0AsD,

If it is implemented the way I suggested, the cookie would be anonymous - it will just indicate that they are a member and can be added to the 'Members Browsing #'. I agree, if someone wants to to be logged out, then they should be able to do that without them still being listed (named) as browsing to the forum. We do not need to know who they are though, we just need to set a new anonymous cookie at logout.

Advertisement: