[SMF Converter] Invisionfree/ActiveBoards/iPBfree

Started by nneonneo, August 13, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag00

Hey nneonneo I have a question about forumotion converter.

First I tried it on a small forum that has 200 members and 3000 posts and it worked perfectly.

Then I tried on my big forum (big for me :D ) - 2000 Members 300,000 Posts .. and after 15 hours  :o it finished.

But the problem begins here.

The topic_post_phpbb3.sql is larger than 50MB and as that I cannot upload it to my forum because it is too big. (upload is limited to a 5mb, I think)

Is there a way how to split this? Or reduce size. (without deleting almost everything in my forum)

I had an idea  :-[ to split this to a smaller part and upload it to a diferent forum, than merge it with some mod to one forum but I don't know how to split.

nneonneo

There is a program included with the converter called split_sql.py, which you can run to split the SQL file into smaller pieces for uploading.
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

Jag00

Just to say thanks. Now everything is fine...

Thanks again for this converter.

howling_haggis

Hi I'm trying to run the converter from Zetboards to SMF and so far it's going well but I don't understand how to import the sql files generated by the converter into the new SMF board. Can you say how that is done?

nneonneo

Ask your webhosting provider; they usually provide a CPanel, where you can access phpMyAdmin or a database administration tool to perform the import.
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

bros

You can also import large files using bigdump.php

howling_haggis

thanks - I got help from my hosting provider and it's working.

neojin3

This might sound stupid.. but can I use this to convert my Zetaboards forum to a forum hosting site that uses SMF software, or do I need web hosting?

nneonneo

If the SMF site lets you import databases, then you could. You'd have to check, first.

Also, be aware that if the SMF site doesn't allow you to backup or save the database, then you may end up in the same position as before (no access to your data).
spammers here!

neojin3

Thanx.

Sorry for being so ignorant of this stuff, but which version of 2.6 do you recommend for Windows?

# Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.6.6) (sig)
# Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.6.6) [1] (sig)

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/ [nofollow]

nneonneo

spammers here!

neojin3

So, when I run Python, are the files converted into an SMF file on my computer and then I upload it onto web hosting?

nneonneo

spammers here!

villedepuissance

Hi! I'm trying to convert my proboards website to Smf and I noticed there are tons of converters...but I have no clue which one to use for my site. I am trying to get everything ready before publishing my new site.

Any help or suggestions, or anything really I would be very appreciative of.

Thank you.

nneonneo

The Proboards converter has been removed due to a legal request by Proboards, Inc. and is no longer available.
spammers here!

neojin3

Still haven't gotten to converting yet, but are PMs carried over or lost?

Also, my understanding is that you can't convert the old forum (in this case Zetaboards) into an already existing SMF forum that already has activity, correct?

Thanx in advance.

nneonneo

1) PMs cannot be converted.
2) You can merge forums, but it isn't easy.
spammers here!

thehonestwaterbottle

I'd just like to say thanks a million for this :D

I just want to ask how to access the ACP in the new forum after transferring everything over, because permissions are not carried over.

Also, my board has about 16,000 posts and ~100 members. When I try to convert it, it only converts one category in the forum out of several.  The table prefix, URL and date format is as mentioned in the instructions.

nneonneo

spammers here!

thehonestwaterbottle

Sorry I'm using the Forumer --> phpbb3 converter.

Advertisement: