News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

[SMF Converter] Invisionfree/ActiveBoards/iPBfree

Started by nneonneo, August 13, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

Would it be possible to adjust it to use local files? I keep getting errors (and etoxic is always trying to break this too) when trying to get forumotion, but other programs that download the entire site work fine. I tried just changing the url and putting it on a local server with link to localhost but it didn't work. Maybe if I upload the downloaded files to a host to have a normal url?

Edit: Still needs more adjustments than that, gives url not found error even when the files are in a server =/

I imagine it is trying to look for the links in the same manner they are in forumotion (with a slash and then the ids, nothing else in-between), but the local files have different links maybe.

Edit2: Nope, managed to get it to have the same structure, but it is looking for categories/structure by order of creation, so it attempts to get c0, which doesn't exist/gives not found error, then it doesn't move on, just keeps trying it again, and nothing gets added. Any simple way around this? I'm only getting categories/topics, nothing else. (Members give the same error though, url not found)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

margarett

I'm sorry but I don't think anyone here really knows how to "ride" these converters... Does anyone here knows Pyton? :P
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

nneonneo

Fortytwo: the easiest way may simply be to upload the relevant files to a webserver, but with the names changed to fit the converter's wants.

I do have a version that uses a local cache, but I haven't released it publicly.
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

Gwenwyfar

That's exactly what I have done, I've uploaded it to a subdomain on my SMF forum server. Still gives the same error. It has the same structure as the forumotion server, but it fails at the first step, c0.

When trying to use it "normally" it just gives topic empty on every topic too, so fixing it to work on a copy could still be easier than fixing whatever they did to break the script this time.

nneonneo

The converter doesn't use the proper filenames from the server, because that would involve knowing the category, forum and topic titles in advance. Instead it just uses a dummy name, which Forumotion corrects to the proper URL.
Check out the AJAX Shoutbox (my one and only mod to date :P)
Do you like SMF? Are you using ProBoards, InvisionFree, ActiveBoards or some other web-hosted forum? I can help you convert to SMF (without having to purchase a DB conversion)...contact me [nneonneo {at} gmail *dot* com], and see this topic
spammers here!

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Adrek

Is there crawler converter for SMF > SMF (or anything else)? Someone wants to move their forum from free hosted service and update to SMF 2.0 but admin doesn't want to help with it :|
Polskie wsparcie SMF na simplemachines.org

the simplest solution is most likely the right one

Gwenwyfar

Using the invisionfree converter now to merge two more old boards's history, works perfectly, no trouble in the crawling at all, thanks! :D

Just a couple details:
The smf files conversion is a bit problematic, it converted some column names wrong (which means import doesn't work, but its a simple fix by just updating the names, they are in a format like modifiedTime and posterName, when the actual name should be modified_time and poster_name). Nothing big, but if anyone else has the same issue, just need to replace those and it works.

And another thing: How do I import it without breaking latin characters? The sql file is fine, they're all there, but when I import it, it breaks them. Its not smf as I can make new posts with it fine. The SQL import format is the same I've used for all other imports, which worked fine too. Edit2: Fixed this one by changing the save format in the text editor to utf-8 :)

And for some reason, the topics are not showing inside the boards. I can go to them through the topic id, but the boards they're in show as empty. Any clues on what I could do to fix this? Repair didn't do anything to it, nor recount. Edit: Fixed this last issue by simply moving one topic somewhere else, fixed all boards :)

Now on to doing this with the other board and messing with numbers to merge the forums... Thanks again for making these converters!  :D

Kenamura

So does this still work with FM(Forumotin)? also what does it do exactly and since FM is a closed DB type of forum host how does it work to preserve the member bade, topics, etc. I am possibly looking into converting a FM board over to SMF but im still on the fence about it. ive used SMF before in the past (like years ago lol) but ive never really converted a board nor really used a crawler. so in other words, if by using this what is the possible loss as well?

Gwenwyfar

Unless he updated something since last time, unfortunately no... They already broke it again, and I had little luck with his beta converter as well  :(
Forumotion is such a &%$#@.

There is a guy that does paid conversions though, Dion. He can do the whole work for you, or if you want to pay less you just run the script yourself and he helps you through the process. Its what I did, had no problems at all.

Kenamura

Aye only problem i have is the paid part haha! I don't have much right now in the means of actually providing any cash to have this done for me it is why i was looking around to see if i could do it myself, never had much issues with these sort of things. Plus im not even sure if we would end up switching over since i am only one of a few admins on the site so i cant make said choice by myself. Mostly trying to find out the simplest and cheapest means to do it.

Gwenwyfar

I didn't have any either, I had to wait a while before I could do it, but there's no other easy choice unless you're willing to make something to get the data yourself or get all the topics manually :P

nneoneo is the only one that has a free convertor for forumotion as far as I know, but since it is open to anyone they always keep breaking it :/

I paid only $40 for running the script myself though.

Kenamura

Aye that is no fun, i use to do that before XD was never any fun.

Hmm only 40 huh? hmm might have to think on that could probably set money aside for this possible endeavor

goosekeeper

Anyone have any luck using this script for Yuku recently?

I receive a Critical Error, but it's blank.  The process appears to work correctly until conversion where every Topic receives the following error: Error: Topic is empty!.

Thanks for any help.

CalPablito

Does this still work for Forumotion?
They dont make their databases available to admins and their forum sucks but we want to keep our last year of posts

Advertisement: