News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

2.0 Update Part 3

Started by Thantos, August 20, 2007, 10:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Thantos

Quote from: Wal-Mart Security on August 23, 2007, 01:42:19 PM
Why would they release a demo of 2.0 beta before it's even fixed up yet?  ::)

/doh
Well we've thought about doing a 2.0 demo, especially after we missed the June mark.  There wasn't any disagreement about it but it really boiled down to time and energy.  The time/energy spent on demoing up 2.0 was spent on fixing 2.0 bugs so the idea didn't happen.  Sometimes I wish I could slip out of space/time so I could do more :P

Dannii

I wish I had a time machine, I'd make swotvac a month long!
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

christicehurst

Is SMF 2.0 going to be a nightmare in terms of updating 30 to 50 mods plus the many themes for the average forum board owner?
www.brisbanelionsunited.com - A forum for everyone!

Grudge

I don't believe the average user has 30-50 mods!

All mods will need to be rewritten but with any luck SMF will do away with the need to use many of them.

Themes will also need to be rewritten. The upgrader tries to update all installed themes at the time but it won't be foolproof and to get the new features you will certainly want to update the templates.
I'm only a half geek really...

Sordell Media

Regarding the theme side of things, I remember seeing another post saying that the theme used here (simplemachines.org/community) ISNT currently part of the 2.0 package, does this mean its simply using an updated version of the 1.1.3 default theme? I'm interested in renewing my CM (didnt realise it'd expired lol) and dont mind using a beta version (never had any serious issues with SMF beta's in the past ;D) - but my members will scream murder if they've gotta deal with a broken theme lol

Also, would it be too early to work on themes for 2.0? We're wanting to make a custom theme to match up the forums with our main website, and it'd make more sense to do this with 2.0 rather than doing a 1.1.3 theme and then having to upgrade it later.

Wal-Mart Security

It'd definitely be to early to theme for 2.0.  The first beta is just now out, and they developers are still adding more features and updating things.  I asked this same question myself and the answer I got was that the current 2.0 theme(nearly same as 1.1.3) will most likely get revamped by the time it's all released to the public.  The same thing happened when progressing to 1.0 to 1.1.
Achilleus Technologies
Ace Gaming Syndicate
PART TIME SMF CHARTER MEMBER 4LIFE

SMF slays phpbb, puts it in an IPB coffin, and buries them both with the ashes of vBulletin.

shadow82x

Talking about themes...

I'm in the process of making a modified theme based of the deafult with new images but it will be both for SMF 1.1.3 and SMF2.0.
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

nitins60

OpenGL support n next SMF version? :P

Gary

Quote from: Sordell Media on August 29, 2007, 08:30:21 PM
Regarding the theme side of things, I remember seeing another post saying that the theme used here (simplemachines.org/community) ISNT currently part of the 2.0 package, does this mean its simply using an updated version of the 1.1.3 default theme? I'm interested in renewing my CM (didnt realise it'd expired lol) and dont mind using a beta version (never had any serious issues with SMF beta's in the past ;D) - but my members will scream murder if they've gotta deal with a broken theme lol
That is quite right, at the moment the decision to use this theme as the new default hasn't been finalised, and is still being discussed, keep in mind that the default theme that comes with 1.1 wasn't released until RC2.

Quote from: Sordell Media on August 29, 2007, 08:30:21 PM
Also, would it be too early to work on themes for 2.0? We're wanting to make a custom theme to match up the forums with our main website, and it'd make more sense to do this with 2.0 rather than doing a 1.1.3 theme and then having to upgrade it later.
If you want to update your own custom theme that you have for your own site, go ahead. I have already updated vSMFB-Multi-4 to 2.0, but renamed it to vSMFB-Multi-6 (5 has come and gone :P), when Beta 2 comes out, just use File compare software on the defaults in Beta 1 and Beta 2 and you can add the differences in.

-ALM
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Sordell Media

Quote from: ALM on August 30, 2007, 03:54:09 AM
If you want to update your own custom theme that you have for your own site, go ahead. I have already updated vSMFB-Multi-4 to 2.0, but renamed it to vSMFB-Multi-6 (5 has come and gone :P), when Beta 2 comes out, just use File compare software on the defaults in Beta 1 and Beta 2 and you can add the differences in.

We dont have our own custom theme as of yet, we were using Helios_Multi prior to the release of 1.1, and have since been using the default since I'm much more of a coder than a designer, and my designer has been busy with RL matters. As he's now eager to develop a custom theme, I basically was wondering if the SMF team had any major changes to themes planned, or if it was more likely to just be major updates/improvements/bug fixes from here to public release. After reading more about 2.0, I think I'll just err on the side of caution and get him to wait, at least until beta 2.

SleePy

There are programs such as diff which you run via command line.

This may not be able to get all things but might be able to provide a patch file to upgrade you from beta 1 to beta 2 when beta 2 comes around.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

mgimadu

Hello, this smf 2.0 have turkish language and turkish support ?
.ıl I love you simplemachines lı.
Forumgil.com - Enter my site.
My Mods        - Enter my Mods.
I wait you SMF 2.0

SleePy

As this is the first beta of 2.0 languages are not fully translated to 2.0 yet.

But 2.0 still supports other languages as did we did 1.1
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

redone

Quote from: forumgil on September 01, 2007, 01:27:59 PM
Hello, this smf 2.0 have turkish language and turkish support ?
Our support will be the same as its always been so I would not worry there. I have to agree with Grudge regarding the 40-50 mods. With the extra functions that are in-built within SMF this will mean that for many forum owners mods that are currently installed will not be needed.

For those mods that are still required they will need to be updated for 2.0. Infact, for most mod authors they have either updated mods (especially true for those that are team members) and others are currently or have plans to update mods for 2.0.

If you have questions I would contact the mod authors directly regarding plans for updating etc.

Faust

Man I know the calendar is like the lowest item on the list...but I hope it got some jack's Phat pack worked into it somehow..holding thumbs

nitins60

In who.template.php, now you can sort out users online now ;)

separating spiders from guests will be more usefull :)

nitins60

By the way i didn't understand/know what's this XML in footer? When i click on that, i will get some messages and links etc... confused!! :D

karlbenson

I think its like an rss/xml feed of latest topics on here.

heavyccasey

Will there be the current (1.1.3) default theme in 2.0? Because I'm rather attached to it ;)

Advertisement: