News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Can't install mod

Started by DoW Kid Rock, October 29, 2004, 07:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW Kid Rock

been having problems lately with the temp folder in the Packages folder not being writable.  I have talked to my host and have been able to get the temp folder writable, but it comes up with the packages folder is not writable.  it has 777 permissions.  here is the error log
URL of page causing the error 'http://www.disciplesofwrestling.ca/forum/index.php?action=packages;sa=install;package=OnLineUsersToday.tar.gz'
Error message '2: unlink(/home/disciple/public_html/forum/Packages/temp/OnLineUserToday_10.mod): Permission denied
File: /home/disciple/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Package.php

Christian A. Herrnboeck

Do you have an .htaccess file in the /temp or in the /Packages/ dir? If so, what is the contents of that file? (beware, not all ftp programs will show a .htaccess file, try using your hosting control panel's file manager first.)

Christian

Farmers:Producing food for the world!

DoW Kid Rock

no there isn't a .htaccess file.

it is really weird.  it says that there isn't any instructions.  so I go and look and the files that once had the access 777 now have 666 and I can't change them.  I have tried doing the upload through the manager and when it says that I can apply the mod I first click on it and when it says there isn't any instructions I go back one page and then before I click apply mod I upload the files manually and give them an access of 777.  then click apply an dit still says there aren't any instructions.  I then go back to the cpanel file manager and they are at 666 and if I tried and change the permissions it won't let me.  I had seen this once before and that was a long time ago when I used ikonboard where the install script for the board changed the owner to "nobody", so I had to download the files and upload them manually and chmod them that way.

could this be the same problem.

not that I need the who's online mod, but it would be nice

this is getting very frustrating ???

edit:

ok I just found out from my server that the ownership on all files in the smf directory say the owner is "nobody"  does anyone else have this problem and if so how do I fix it as I have a couple other messageboards with the same problem

[Unknown]

Hmm... most servers by default create files (under PHP) as nobody.

However, PHP should then be able to delete and modify said files.  If it can't, there's a problem in your server configuration.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: