How to build a successful forum

Started by Noddegamra, August 23, 2007, 09:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purrson

Quote from: Crusti on April 25, 2008, 06:15:12 AM
i would like someone to point me in the right direction to creat my own forum. to set it up. i have so many quetions that need answering. who can help me with this please?

i realise it will cost. installation, tutorials. etc......
I signed up but have the same question. On the start page it lists things including downloads.
I have a group thats been on MSN, but there have been progressive issues and I am trying to find an option. I have just dialup, so cant do a server, but our chats on a server and I would link to that, I am just trying to find an option for a free message board, and photo album type area to then transfer some of the msn board topics. Our chat is also a free IRC supported server.

Evil_Insanity

how the hell i even start get 1 ...?
i looked every where on this ''simple'' site but cant find my own forum to customize it..
any1 help me out pls ::)

dWhite

Thanks for these advice and tips. I just started a forum project recently, and looking to build it up. Will use some of these tips to help it. :D

KahneFan

Quote from: ivnj on September 27, 2008, 03:27:43 PM
Yes all very good advice. 

There is also 1 more problem.  Every good subject has already been done.  I mean why start a gaming forum for example when thousands already exists.  So in order to get lots of posts you really need a unique idea.  But not too many are left.  Every good idea has already been done.

Just because there are large forums out there, it doesn't mean they are good. I've been on many forums where 1) people have left another forum because of (many reasons), or 2) people are leaving the forum I've just joined (you can tell when people are leaving) because of (again, many reasons). So, don't just give up because 'it's already been done'. Web space is so cheap these days, might as well give it a go.
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

ApplianceJunk

QuoteEvery good idea has already been done.

Simply not true.
You just need to do some more thinking. :)

jamkes

Good ideas!I hope I 'll  have a  forum.

ErinSolange

Hi, just joined and reading this thread. Great ideas, and I'll be definitely using a few, for my forum that I've got going.  Need to get
word of it out, as no one seems to be visiting it.... lol

alex30

Great tips, thanks a lot. It will help our aquarium fish community!

anakmacan

My forum, www.bincangprofesi.com have more than 100 members.. but only around 8 of them who post...

KaneWorrall

Nice guide, but the talking to myself thing is abit umm how can i put it... Weird.

That_Guy

Quote from: David Tennant on December 14, 2008, 04:38:31 PM
Nice guide, but the talking to myself thing is abit umm how can i put it... Weird.
Yes, and as a matter of fact, a lot of people have said that this step or action is weird. It is weird, but it helps a lot. Would you want to register to a forum that's, well empty? With no posts in any categories and it feels like a complete ghost town?

It makes your forum seem active with people actually in it and posting. But, sadly, it's true. When you continue to post, people will eventually realize it's you talking. That's why when you get a good amount of members, you can let those "fake" accounts fade out or simply delete them.

It's better than nothing, I'll tell you that.  ;)

Nitrox

Thanks a lot buddy , these will really be helpful !!!!

Ricky.

Quote from: That_Guy on December 28, 2008, 07:34:29 PM
Quote from: David Tennant on December 14, 2008, 04:38:31 PM
Yes, and as a matter of fact, a lot of people have said that this step or action is weird. It is weird, but it helps a lot. Would you want to register to a forum that's, well empty? With no posts in any categories and it feels like a complete ghost town?

It makes your forum seem active with people actually in it and posting. But, sadly, it's true. When you continue to post, people will eventually realize it's you talking. That's why when you get a good amount of members, you can let those "fake" accounts fade out or simply delete them.

It's better than nothing, I'll tell you that.  ;)

Believe it.. First requirement of a FORUM owner is to start posting and replying .. fake users..  and it helps.

armybase.us

thanks for the  tips, it could be usefull for a beginner, though there's nothing new , I guess :)

netmatrix

This is all useful information, and very helpful to anyone that is starting their very own forum.  It took me a little bit to read through the 6 pages so if I repeat any of the information that has already been provided I want to apologize for that.

One of the big things to always remember with creating a forum is like it has been said the content inside the forum.  I'm a moderator and member at several forums, and I have noticed that you need the forum to be based off of one specific genre.  For example if you want your forum to be a gaming forum then make it mostly a gaming board.  Maybe have some general things in there.  If your wanting it to be just a general board with different topics; that is where it can be a bit of a problem getting members from what I have noticed, because there is a lot of boards that are just general things. 

Now lets use my board as an example.  My board is a general forum board, but also is a gaming board for all gamers, and for my gaming clan.  I've combined 2 different things into one board.  Now the way I have my board set up could make it a little more difficult to get members, but I'm making mine to where pretty much everyone could become interested in it.

Modifications is another area that could be a problem for members or guests that might want to become members.  Having to many modifications could confuse members.  For example if you have the SMF Shop, trade, arcade, and any other different addons like that could make a member not know where to go. 

Granted customization is very important to a board so it is different from other boards, you will need to keep it somewhat basic, but of course make sure it is customized.

Advertising your site through your signature on other boards like what was said earlier in this topic can be very important, but you don't want to make it to obvious that you are wanting people to join a membership at your board.  Maybe create a image or use a software that will allow you to take a snapshot of like your banner, post that in your signature, and make that image a clickable link if the board will allow you to do that.

I hope this added information was some good information to members here to help get their board going.  Once again I am sorry if any of the information was repeated as it took a while to read everything, and to remember everything that was already said.

P.S.  one other good way to also rack up some membership is to maybe have a actual website page with different things in it, and then have in there a link to your board...
(whoznext.net) WhoZ NeXt Gaming Clan

rjcobarde

nice one..there. tnx for the info.

aldo

appleid

I've moderated a few photography forums and also found that challenge is the best interest keeper for members. I also feel that being concise for members with problems is the way to attain new members. By concise I mean that the admins and the mods have to be on the same page and rescue those members with questions, even if they all sound the same, with a working answer, not a guess from a member.

Thanks for all your work.

neteater

i dont want to interfare discussion but let me tell you one if you want to increase  your forum firstly you select your target visitor coz actual visitor are remain always
and be location specific in starting

TurtleKicker

One thing I found that did not work was Google Advertising. What a waste of money.

I also tried setting some focused advertising up on Facebook but they couldn't make my card work for some reason so I gave up on them.

My latest attempt has been a contest based on posts (one rule is short, crap posts don't count) and referrals... which for 1/2 the price of what I paid on Google ads has already boosted the traffic considerably.

Advertisement: