News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Beta 1 Released to Charter Members

Started by Grudge, August 24, 2007, 11:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

Simple Machines are proud to annouce that today, 25th August 2007, the first beta release of SMF 2.0 is in the hands of our Charter Members.

This beta release marks a significant milestone for us, and is the culmination of over eighteen months of discussion, coding and testing since work began in January 2006. We expect it will be quite a few months more before we're ready to release the first public beta but in the mean time feel free to check out Introducing SMF 2.0 for a taste of things to come. You can find out more information about the Charter Member program here.

Below is a summary of some of the new features that can be found in SMF 2.0 - with more to follow:
  • Database abstraction - with support for PostgreSQL and SQLite planned alongside that of MySQL.
  • Automatic installation of packages into themes other than just the default.
  • Email templates to simplify customization of forum emails.
  • Moderation center including post, topic and attachment moderation - to allow approving of user content before it is made public.
  • User warning system.
  • Additional group functionally including group moderators and requestable/free assignable groups.
  • WYSIWYG editor to provide an intuitive user interface to those users not familiar with BBC.
  • Permission improvements such as group inheritance and permission profiles to further reduce the complexity of the permissions system.
  • File based caching for a performance increase on all forums regardless of whether an accelerator is installed.
  • Mail queuing system to stagger the sending of emails to improve performance on large forums.
  • Advanced signature settings to allow the administrator of a forum to more tightly control the contents of users signatures.
  • Personal messaging improvements including ability to automatically sort incoming messages and a variety of display options.
  • Improved upgrade script with better timeout protection and simpler user interface.
  • Custom profile fields to enable administrators to add additional member fields from the administration center.
  • User configurable posts and topics per page; an improved calendar interface.
  • Option to allow guests to vote in polls.
Regards,

Simple Machines

I'm only a half geek really...

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Dragooon

SleePy

* SleePy registered a dig account just to dig this :P
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

vbgamer45

If possible I would add some more text to the digg aritcle in the title and description so people understand what SMF is and why this release is special.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

shadow82x

I just want to brag to say how much I like it. :P All of you public people have to wait. muahahha
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

jerm

Peter Duggan

Quote from: shadow82x on August 25, 2007, 12:43:28 PM
I just want to brag to say how much I like it. :P All of you public people have to wait. muahahha

What a useful and mature post! :-X

Coldfx

@ SleePy: Hah,  I did the same! And got the first comment ;D

And how come my quotes aren't properly being carried to the quick reply box?
* SySRoot74 smells a bug..

THUNDERxRAGE

I hope that all the mods and templates will be updated to work with 2.0!

Thanks for the hard work to continue improving SMF.  :)

codenaught

Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

rsw686

Nice can't wait to test this out. I'll probably pay the money to become a charter member. Has the feature been added so the forum name of forums not available to guest still show. I want to be able to restrict my classifieds section to users only, but I want the guests to know that it exists. I think there is a mod for 1.1.3, but I prefer not to install mods.
The Reptile File
Everything reptile for anyone reptile friendly

Aquaria Talk
Community for freshwater and saltwater aquariums enthusiasts

Bigguy

JoomlaJon

Wiiiiiiiiihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Gonna try it right now :)

Danke as they say in Germany!

/jon

Ophie

shadow82x

You guys are going to like the ACP. ;)

They forgot to mention that in the Introducing SMF2
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

SleePy

From the Introducing SMF 2.0 topic (Which I found a mistake link the link to it here in this topic) I would like to point out this was said:
QuoteThis is only a handful of the many improvements made in 2.0.

We didn't tell you everything.. We had to leave some of the pies contents unknown..
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Hqjrt

Well, that's me registered for a Charter membership. I hope the Custom Profile fields thing does everything I need. And that my expiry date of December 1969 is a bug that won't effect things.

JayBachatero

Quote from: Hqjrt on August 25, 2007, 05:06:56 PM
Well, that's me registered for a Charter membership. I hope the Custom Profile fields thing does everything I need. And that my expiry date of December 1969 is a bug that won't effect things.
Once payment clears your account gets automatically updated.  What is the status of the payment in paypal?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Hqjrt

Payment is completed according to Paypal, but Pending in my SMF profile. So I'm a bit confused :( I want to get up a test board.

Advertisement: