News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

YaBB2.1 to SMF conversion

Started by andyjosh, August 24, 2007, 07:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyjosh

Hello, I just converted Yabb2.1 to SMF using the converter. YaBB board was using Unicode, and so I installed SMF with UTF support. Everything went well, but I can not see the unicode characters. I've tried using 'admin'->forum maintenance->convert html to utf8, but that did't help.
Basically I am seeing two types of characters:

[ch2350][ch2352]....
and फोर

They both are unicode characters, but for some reason they don't show up as unicode characters?!?
THanks for all help in advance.

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

andyjosh

Thanks for the link- I wonder if the same bug in phbb->smf is in yabb->smf also? If so, is there a corrected version of tht convert.php file? I've downloaded yabb2.1->smf converter.
I've tried all three-
1. Installed smf with utf support
2. Used convertor
3. Used admin to convert html to unicode.

Nothing seems to help. Oh, the only charcters that show up correctly are after 'News' on top of the page. Not sure thats relevant.

andyjosh

Still same problem- tried more than half dozen different convert.phps from different posts.

Two types of characters show up: something like फ and [ch2312]
Not sure what the difference is- but first one is html unicode correct? Even after running forum maintenance it does not change.

Any ideas?

JayBachatero

Is YaBB using UTF-8 support or another charset?  Also check to see if you have $db_character_set defined in Settings.php.
Follow me on Twitter

andyjosh

$db_character_set is correct, but it is possible that YaBB is saving in some intermediate format -[ch****] could be used to represent unicode character.

So the yabb->smf converter script expects unicode characters in the message files, correct?

andyjosh

OK- I figured what the problem was. For some reason yabb saves unicode characters as [ch1234] type format and converts it to unicode when displaying. So I extracted the functions that were converting and converted all the files to unicode. Now I am able to display all the messages correctly in unicode.

However, the user names are still not displayed correctly- they still show up as &#1234. The database is already set to accept unicode, and I've done all conversions. Any ideas?

JayBachatero

Maybe the usernames are encoded the same way.  Can you send me a sample of the users file?  Also can you post a sample post with unicode chars directly from YaBB?
Follow me on Twitter

Advertisement: