News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Can you Digg it? SMF makes Digg’s front page!

Started by An-Old_User, August 29, 2007, 12:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoTmetal

As most of you have herd by now, the highly anticipated SMF 2.0 beta was released earlier this week and is currently being utilized by our beloved Charter Members. This is news within itself. But what none of us expected was to see this news on the front page of digg.com. Within days this news received 400+ diggs, which is more than all of our past submissions combined.  A lot more. :D Further proof that SMF not only makes a rock solid forum software, but as we grow, so does the faithful support of our users. After all, it was you, our users who dugg us to the front page.

On behalf of the SMF team, I would like to thank our faithful regulars who contribute to the SMF community on a daily basis, our SMF friends for their contributions, our team (past present and future) for all their hard work, our beta testers, our language moderators, and most of all, our Charter Members. It is the combination of everyone that makes SMF the forum and community that it is.

You can view the digg here...

http://digg.com/software/SMF_2_0_beta_1

Dem0n

when clicking on this link :

it says the link/page can not be found?

shadow82x

Quote from: Dem0n on August 29, 2007, 12:26:58 PM
when clicking on this link :

it says the link/page can not be found?
It appears to be working now. Congratulations SMF team. Be proud. :)

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

SleePy

I am actually impressed that we made front page.

Though our server was being beat by the spiders that suddenly flooded the site it was still cool :D
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

shadow82x

Quote from: SleePy on August 29, 2007, 01:40:32 PM

Though our server was being beat by the spiders that suddenly flooded the site it was still cool :D

Not the best impression when people went to SMF though thinking it has a bad server. :P
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

niko

Quote from: SleePy on August 29, 2007, 01:40:32 PM

* Niko too.

Especially with that kind of description and the fact that it isn't public beta.
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

codenaught

Yep I was definitely surprised!

Too bad we were "gaming" the system according to some Diggers.  :-\ I guess everything has to be a conspiracy with these people. ;)

Probably either they are so upset they can't try out the beta for themselves or they are fan boys of other forum systems! :P
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

karlbenson

woot woot.

Now if only someone can get that digg it button installed on SMF.org.  We could digg SMF topics alot more often.

;)

P.S  With all those spiders, get your links in your signature.  Theres alot of backlinks for pagerank to be had.

AdrenalineRider

Congratz SMF Team, cheers and I am proud to be with you guys

HoTmetal

Quote from: karlbenson on August 29, 2007, 03:49:00 PM
woot woot.

Now if only someone can get that digg it button installed on SMF.org.  We could digg SMF topics alot more often.

;)

The SMF team blogs have a digg link on them and can be digg/dug with a simple click.
(When viewed through the blog page ) http://blogs.simplemachines.org/team/191828/Can+you+Digg+it%3F+SMF+makes+Digg%E2%80%99s+front+page%21.html

QuoteYep I was definitely surprised!

Too bad we were "gaming" the system according to some Diggers.   I guess everything has to be a conspiracy with these people.
Quote" A project should be driven by the community not the community driven by the programmers."

I'm not too sure how our team of ~20-25 can account for 400+ diggs, (ecpecially when not all of us have digg accounts.)but ok...

My thoughts:  If you don't like it, burry it.
There will always be naysayers.
Why can't people be happy its on the front page? I am.
Its not like its going to stay there, its news... read it or don't and move on :P

QuoteCongratz SMF Team, cheers and I am proud to be with you guys
Thanks thats what we like to hear :D

SleePy

I feel the same way rick. Don't cry that we are on the front page. Somebody else will be on the front page tomorrow (or from what it looks like in Digg's case, 4 hours).
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Wal-Mart Security

Achilleus Technologies
Ace Gaming Syndicate
PART TIME SMF CHARTER MEMBER 4LIFE

SMF slays phpbb, puts it in an IPB coffin, and buries them both with the ashes of vBulletin.

Wal-Mart Security

Maybe instead of the doc team I should go for marketing team ROFL xD
Achilleus Technologies
Ace Gaming Syndicate

SMF slays phpbb, puts it in an IPB coffin, and buries them both with the ashes of vBulletin.

Coldfx

I believe it was all the work of me.  If I hadn't existed, I would not have created an account at Digg to digg this topic, thus it would lack SyS's permission for frontpage.  I'll be waiting for the ten-thousand dollar check and keys to PlayBoy Mansion once SMF acknowledges my existance.  Until then, I'll be eating pizza in my sister's basement..

Wal-Mart Security

Achilleus Technologies
Ace Gaming Syndicate

weightman

Exciting news it is. It will be fun to see what you all put together for the public release.

Thanks for everything.

Xarcell

HoTmetal

Advertisement: