"Costumes" - Profiles for Role-playing forums (Paid Job)

Started by Altair, September 02, 2007, 06:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altair

"Costumes" -  It's basically just giving users the option of multiple profiles that function as if they were separate accounts linked to 1 main account.

Many users on our forum have upwards of 15 different "Characters" that they role-play, and we can't expect them to make 15 different email accounts.  We like to keep it all self-contained within a single account.  We'd like to have the option for our forum users to put on "Costumes" that are changeable via their control panel or some other means. Those costumes would basically be profiles or mini-accounts that actively change the following:  Their user-display name, their signature and avatar, and their post count.

For Example: Rather than logging in to several different accounts for their main/ "Real life" profile or their "Harry Potter" profile or their "Lion King" profile, we'd like to have a sort of feature or users where they simply click a tab and select from a user-defined number of "Costumes". (They'd choose: Create new Costume. Add all of the profile/user/relevant info, then submit.  Once created, they could then switch to make it their "Active Costume")

Note: Switching costumes would not alter every post they had made under other profiles. (I.E if I post 10 times as myself, and then switch to harry potter, all of those old posts will not appear as though Harry Potter had posted all of them).

Also, A moderator would sometimes want to Role Play under various "Costumes", but we would not want this moderator to have mod powers while in various "costumes", only under their Moderator account.  So, we'd need to have the "costumes" be allowed only "normal member" status, even for moderators or admin.

We'd like to be able to track each member under only 1 account, with multiple Costumes registered under each.  This will solve the problem of having only 1 email address per account/profile, and make it easier to manage and administrate users.  And we'd like to have the option of limiting the maximum number of "Costumes" allowed per account.

Also, it would list the MAIN Username of the Costume. Like... The Username of the account would be displayed at the bottom of the profile field

Is this feasible? Or is there a simpler/similar workaround already in place?

Elmacik

I am currently working on a project very similar to this, for a RPG site (a paid job), but it will take a bit time.
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Alright, Thanks Elmacik. Do you think you could contact me when it is complete?

Any idea when it MIGHT be ready?

Elmacik

Quote from: Altair on September 02, 2007, 06:55:06 PM
Alright, Thanks Elmacik. Do you think you could contact me when it is complete?

Any idea when it MIGHT be ready?

Hopefully in 1 month. Yes, its a long time, but working on some projects simultaneously.
I will inform you when it finishes, of course if you dont hire some other one do it before me, maybe you get some luck. :)
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Is there anything we can do to get you to get it done faster? Any sort of Pay that will make you speed it up maybe a week? If you can get it doe soon, we would throw in some extra money for your time and effort

If there is not an insentive that fits you, then we will wait.

Elmacik

Home of Elmacik

Altair

Alright... does $50 bucks sound good as an incentive for ya? ;) This is VERY important to use. We are moving a 2,000+ member Wolf Roleplay Forum that is hosted by Proboards to the Official server now that the comic the forum is bases upon is going HUGE.

Maybe you have heard of "The Blackblood Alliance?" Ya, it is all for this.

Elmacik

Its contrary to my principles to take money for a job I havent done.
Even if its a little incentive payment, you should be more careful to pay 50 $ to someone you dont know. :)

Let me say, as a "seller", I was crooked sometimes because of this manner of mine. I made the job, but they didnt pay. But I still encourage you to wait until I finish it.
I promise, I will try my best ;)
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Alright, well if you get it done and still want some pay. We can give you a Paypal E-mail so you can request money from us.

Is that OK with you?

If not, We WILL WAIT.

And BTW...

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOOKING INTO OUR REQUEST!!!!!! - The BBA Moderation Team

Altair

n.n Double post but I have something to add and wanted to make it seen. Ya...

Ummm... If you can get a Mod Doc to me, about what your mod will do, that would be great. Also, you can contact Red Leader(BF of the Forum owner) if you want more info as to what we are looking for/ want input on what you should put in your mod. Stuff like that at

[email protected]

Again Mr. Elmacik, we THANK YOU for your help.

Elmacik

If I finish it, you will get a custom one. This means, I will do it as how you required.
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Alright, well then that E-mail address if the one you should contact for more info about what we want exactly. well....when you get done at least. lol ;) Thanks

Steel Rat

Elmacik, I assume the mod you're doing is for SMF? I'm new here so just making sure. Can you elaborate exactly what your mod is doing?

Elmacik

Yes, its for SMF. It will let users to create multiple profiles under one account.
Just like aliases. Who can use these mods? For example gaming sites.
They can create multiple profiles under their account, for different games.
For example, a member can create a profile of his WoW game, Knight Online.. etc..

Or another example is here what Altair said; they can create multiple profiles which wont affect the real account, and they will be able to role play with under different profiles.
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Heya Elmacik, any news on the mod? Maybe a final release date yet? Sorry if I am bothering you so much. I am just one of the people that like updates to things. ;)

Elmacik

Not yet Altair, but keep an eye on here, I will try to update this topic as soon as possible. :)
Home of Elmacik

Altair

Anybody else want to give it a go, I am not saying Elmacik can't continue but I haven't seen tail of him lately and we need this mod before the end of Oct.

So, Anybody?

Altair

Eliana Tamerin

Try the Multiple Personas mod. You would have to create a new account each time, but after that, those accounts can be linked together by an admin. It might be a good stopgap for your problem right now. Search for it in the Coding Discussion forum.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Altair

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on October 16, 2007, 10:51:33 AM
Try the Multiple Personas mod. You would have to create a new account each time, but after that, those accounts can be linked together by an admin. It might be a good stopgap for your problem right now. Search for it in the Coding Discussion forum.

Thanks Eliana, I think the only problem would have to be that the Mods would have a heck of a time linking 6564059(Exaggeration) accounts together. The forum that is moving has 3,000+ accounts. O.O!!!

Advertisement: