News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[RC] AJAX Chat

Started by madblueimp, September 04, 2007, 03:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madblueimp

AJAX Chat is a free and open source web chat software.

It is implemented using Asynchronous JavaScript And XML on Client-Side and PHP, MySQL and XML on Server-Side.

One of its features is the easy integration into existing authentication systems - that's why I released a version which integrates nicely with the Simple Machines Forum.

For a complete feature list, a demo and the download including SMF integration, please visit the AJAX Chat homepage:

AJAX Chat [nofollow]

Greetings,
madblbueimp

Important:
As the time and effort spent to support the AJAX Chat project [nofollow] has increased my support here on this topic will discontinue.
I will continue to answer support requests on the Official SourceForge project site [nofollow].
Feel free to use this topic for user-to-user support.

akc42

I am just setting this up as a test, and I have noticed a problem

If the Forum Name has an apostrophe (') in it, it generates and error when you try to enter the chat.

We have a forum called General Member's Discussion and that is the first one that causes a problem.

madblueimp

Thanks for the bug report - I just released a new version (0.3.1.1) fixing this issue.

fluid

hmm...by default does it display anywhere on the board index? if not, what would be required to make it show itself say at the top or bottom of the board index? i would prefer to use ajax chat over a web-chat solution i developed that just uses 2 frames and page refreshes :D

madblueimp

Currently, the easiest way would be to use an iframe to display the chat on the forum.
In one of the next version I'll include a howto to use it as shoutbox, too.

feline

I have tested the last release. Not bad, but ... not perfect  ;)

No, I have changed many things on this mod.

* the Chat is now open in a popup window
* use the users theme
* use the users language
* the user is removed from chat online list, if the window simply closed
* logout closes the Chat popup window also
* login screen removed, guest becomes the name "Guest###", where ### is a unique number
* lot of bugs fixed
* Chat user online list added in a TinyPortal sideblock
* no changes on smf files, only needs a "Chat" button in the index.template

More changes follow in the feature

Look at my site .. (Chat for reg user only)

Fel

madblueimp

Thanks for the feedback, feline.
It would be nice if you could tell me which bugs you found so I can fix them for the next official release.
The next version will have some nice new features which you might want to integrate on your site, too. :)

PS:
The official chat already uses the users theme - this is what the method setStyle in CustomChat.php is for. ;)

zl0byte

feline

Quote from: madblueimp on October 03, 2007, 11:17:17 AM
PS:
The official chat already uses the users theme - this is what the method setStyle in CustomChat.php is for. ;)
that works not !
this:

$styleID = (!empty($user_info['theme']) && (!empty($modSettings['theme_allow']) || $context['user']['is_admin'])) ? $user_info['theme'] : $modSettings['theme_guests'];

is not the way to find the users theme.
the just used themeid it's stored in:
$settings['theme_id'];

that works also with the themeselector on tinyportal.

I set the theme on startup the popup window and need no themeselector on chat .. unneccessary overhead.

Fel

madblueimp

Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 07:16:00 AMthe just used themeid it's stored in:
$settings['theme_id'];
Thanks for the info - the code I used had been taken from SMF's Load.php and worked on my test installation - but I'm not a real SMF user.

Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 07:16:00 AMI set the theme on startup the popup window and need no themeselector on chat .. unneccessary overhead.
Well, I think it's good to let the user choose which style he wants for the chat - be it a different style than what he's using on the forum or a style that's available for the chat (e.g. beige, black, grey), but not as forum theme.

P.S.:
You still didn't tell me which bugs you found:
Quote from: feline on October 03, 2007, 10:59:14 AM* lot of bugs fixed

feline

Quote from: madblueimp on October 04, 2007, 08:26:12 AM
Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 07:16:00 AMI set the theme on startup the popup window and need no themeselector on chat .. unneccessary overhead.
Well, I think it's good to let the user choose which style he wants for the chat - be it a different style than what he's using on the forum or a style that's available for the chat (e.g. beige, black, grey), but not as forum theme.
That is your choice  ;)
For me and my eys must have each part the same design.

P.S.:
You still didn't tell me which bugs you found:
Quote from: feline on October 03, 2007, 10:59:14 AM* lot of bugs fixed

Uhm ... I have changes/rewrote hundreds of things.
One .. yes, just fund
You destroy the session on logout. thats bad, while smf must reload all and tempsettings of guest/themechanges are lost.

I can repack my chat and put it on my downlaod area, so anyon can download this  8)

Fel

madblueimp

Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 10:49:07 AMYou destroy the session on logout. thats bad, while smf must reload all and tempsettings of guest/themechanges are lost.
That's a security concern - as destroying the session on logout doesn't log you out of the forum I consider this OK.
Best would be if the chat could be used with a new session - the method initSession($startSession) can be told so by setting the parameter to true.
Unfortunately this doesn't work with SMF - it does work with phpBB and PunBB, though.

Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 10:49:07 AMI can repack my chat and put it on my downlaod area, so anyon can download this  8)
If you like you can do so - the licence of this chat version is GPL, so you're allowed to do so if you keep the licence under GPL.

You are encouraged to modify the chat to your liking - it is written as modular and easy to modify as possible.
But even if you changed hundreds of things it is still only a small amount of work compared to what I put into this chat.
So please don't just refer to "My Chat" as it is still the AJAX Chat developed by the owner of blueimp.net [nofollow].

As said on the AJAX Chat project page [nofollow], you should set a link on your site leading to https://blueimp.net/ajax/. [nofollow]
This not only gives respect to the amount of time given freely by the developer but also helps build interest, traffic and use of AJAX Chat.

Neorics

how is that different from this?

and feline that would really be great if you can repack and share that to others
[For Hire] I can help you with anything regarding Simple Machines Forum  ~ My Portfolio

feline

Quote from: madblueimp on October 04, 2007, 11:25:09 AM
Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 10:49:07 AMYou destroy the session on logout. thats bad, while smf must reload all and tempsettings of guest/themechanges are lost.
That's a security concern - as destroying the session on logout doesn't log you out of the forum I consider this OK.
Best would be if the chat could be used with a new session - the method initSession($startSession) can be told so by setting the parameter to true.
Unfortunately this doesn't work with SMF - it does work with phpBB and PunBB, though.
if the session destroy, you have problems on logout smf .. error.
I think, the security is clean, while nothing critical stored.
Also, i have removed all cookies :)

Quote from: feline on October 04, 2007, 10:49:07 AMI can repack my chat and put it on my downlaod area, so anyon can download this  8)
If you like you can do so - the licence of this chat version is GPL, so you're allowed to do so if you keep the licence under GPL.

You are encouraged to modify the chat to your liking - it is written as modular and easy to modify as possible.
But even if you changed hundreds of things it is still only a small amount of work compared to what I put into this chat.
So please don't just refer to "My Chat" as it is still the AJAX Chat developed by the owner of blueimp.net.
I think, this is right .. see image

Fel

feline

Quote from: Neorics on October 04, 2007, 02:50:11 PM
how is that different from this?

and feline that would really be great if you can repack and share that to others

I can't say whats the difference .. but the ajax chat from blueimp.net is basically very good.
I have passed it near to smf and added my inspirations.

And yes, if it's ok for blueimp.net, i disribute my modified version

Fel

Neorics

so when are you releasing it?  or have you released it  already? where?
[For Hire] I can help you with anything regarding Simple Machines Forum  ~ My Portfolio

feline

I wont make some help docs and a setup. when it's done, I announce that on my site ...

Fel

fluid

ok so, this is supposedy easy to integrate with other applications...what is the easiest way to have logged in users in another system (like joomla, wordpress, mambo, any of the nukes) or anything for that matter work with Ajax Chat?

i have a simple "antilogin" method of going to myurl.com/userName=JoomlaUserName, and that works fine for me...but i am wondering if i can make this any more secure.

feline

minimal, you get the userID, userName and his status (admin, moderator etc.) from the system you use. Also you have to check, if the users logged out. You can read that directly from the database.

Fel

Advertisement: