Is there a way to change forum URL?

Started by Sarrene, September 21, 2007, 01:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarrene

Hello, I have been using SMF and TP for about six months now and love it! I have tried out several other  and frankly, for someone whom has only just started working with php, this has been the best.

I have recently just redone our site, and have the main site set up using SMF and TP. However, what I am wondering is is it possible to change the default forum url from http://mysite.com/index.php?action=forum to http://mysite.com/forum ?

I am not sure if this is possible at all, at least not with out installing a completey new instance of smf  in another folder using the same mysql database. But if it is possible to change the URL's, does anyone know how to do this? And if so, are you willing to share that knowledge with me?

On aside note, I did check out Pretty URL's and that was not quite what I was looking for, though that would work out well for posts. I am not sure if it works with articles though, since I did not have any on the test site when i tried that one out.
I have looked through the DOCs and all I could find was a small notation for Apache users. Sadly that will not work on the Linux server I have. (and not sure if that is what I realy need.

Thanks for your attention and any advice or sugestions you all have! I am sure it will help out a lot!

Peace,
♥ Sarrene'

Douglas

Since you've installed TinyPortal, the URL change is related to that, so you would need to uninstall TinyPortal if you wanted to go that route.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Oldiesmann

Try the seo4smf mod. It includes built-in support for TinyPortal. It'll rewrite your forum Url to mysite.com/forum.html... Check out www.webmasterstalk.com for more info.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: