News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Integrating the forum into your site...

Started by [Unknown], November 09, 2004, 11:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tensop

Ok, i've done it the 'simple' way, and my 'welcome user blah blah, you currently have 121 messages" thing has disapeared under the header, any idea on how to fix?

beanstalk

i did the 'cooler way'.  everything looks fine in firefox, but it can't find the styles in internet explorer.  also, the button that brings up the 'edit in the post' box is not working.  i get the loading on the top and that's it.  any tips?  thanks.

EDIT: i found the styles problem.  i had an extra character in the styles file.  used IE's web developer add-in to check validity of the css. 

a2h_

Be careful as the tutorial is from 3 years ago and there may be many template changes from the version that [Unknown] is referring to.
With an underscore. Because the one without an underscore's taken.

beanstalk

is there a better way to wrap your forum now? 

Daniel15

I've attached a index.template.php file that can be used with "The Cooler Way" (layer system). This file has been split into two 'layers' (site and main), and I've indicated where to put the custom header and footer via comments (// Put your header stuff here and // Put your footer stuff here). If you want to use an include() to add the header and footer (as shown in [Unknown]'s post), uncomment the include('header.php'); and include('footer.php'); lines. Alternatively, you may place the code directly into the index.template.php file, in an echo statement.

Note that if you use this file, you can skip down to Now, if you did this, and went to your forum, it'd look REALLY CRAPPY on the tutorial (after you've read the introductory text on what layers are).

Hopefully this is useful for someone! :D. I haven't tested it, but it should work. Please report any errors ;)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

skaushik

Hi,
    I tried to use the cooler way to integrate this forum to the website. Actually I had made the changes that were specified to modify the index.template.php. The original website is running on CMS made simple. But when I went to the UI, the forum was not using any template which is being used in the main website. Instead, it had plain white background and looked crappy.

Any reasons for this? Am I missing something here? Actually, in CMS made simple, the templates for the main website are managed from the admin panel for CMS made simple. Does this affect it in anyway? I had used the header.php and footer.php to be used from this admin directory - the code is something like

include('../admin/header.php');

Please let me know if I have left out something.

Thanks,
Kaushik

Daniel15

QuoteActually I had made the changes that were specified to modify the index.template.php. The original website is running on CMS made simple. But when I went to the UI, the forum was not using any template which is being used in the main website. Instead, it had plain white background and looked crappy.
Did you read the section beginning with Now, if you did this, and went to your forum, it'd look REALLY CRAPPY. ? You need to update the theme's entry in the database so that it knows what layers to use.
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

Jorge Santos

Hello, everyone.

I'm SILIBAIP and new to SMF. Living actually in Spain.

Well, I have some questions. I'm ruling a new SMF Forum, and now I decided to have a portal, kind of a PHP Nuke, with some news and things like that. I like to make the other sense integrating my php site with my forum. Is this possible? I like to know if I can use the SMF users in my PHP Nuke site. If this is not possible, can you tellme a way not to hard of doing it?

Thank you so much in advance.

d12boy420

I must say this integration is prett cool but i just have one problem. When i goto post something all the emoticions are all broken up. They won't display side by side they are acting like if someone has put a <br> tag after each image. Does anyone know what to do to fix this? Example - hxxp:www.coldbloodedkillerz.com/forums/index.php?action=post;board=1.0 [nonactive]

Thanks for your time

beanstalk

have to register to post in your forum...

i would look at your css.  you probably have some style defined that is overriding the smf styles.  might want to validate your css too.  something similar happened to me. 

d12boy420

Lol fixed. Stupid text-align: left; code in the wrapper that will do it. Thanks for your help

Col

Hi,

Ever since the upgrade to to 1.1.1, I've had problems with anchors, such as the links from PM index to the individual PMs. I use the simple method for the header. Is there a known problem with the simple method and 1.1.1? I will carry out some tests, but thought I'd check here first.

WiiStyle

I am using a tables system for my site, and im not sure if it is possible for me to get the desired effect, so i was wondering if somebody here could help...

hxxp:img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=isthispossiblewr4.jpg [nonactive]

My site uses a table layout, so the black outline is all down to the table, and my problem is, how do i get my forum into the place where the red box is on the image, but keeping the black outline layout and stuff?

Is it possible?

My site is at hxxp:www.wiistyle.co.uk [nonactive] if you want to see the source for the layout.

beanstalk

just follow the more advanced method in this thread.  it should work.  i assume that your red box is a table cell <td></td>.  just split your page at the center of that cell.  put the first half into a header file and the second half into a footer file.   

WiiStyle

Quote from: beanstalk on February 08, 2007, 04:58:19 PM
just follow the more advanced method in this thread.  it should work.  i assume that your red box is a table cell <td></td>.  just split your page at the center of that cell.  put the first half into a header file and the second half into a footer file.  
Well that red box is something i put on it in paint so that it was more obvious where i wanted the forum, but i understand what you mean anyway.
So if i split up a table into 2 files, one will just carry onto the other?

beanstalk

well, you're really just appending all the code into one file anyway.  so, yes.

you might want to checkout the announcement here.

WiiStyle

Yay i did it, and the simple way too :-P

Now i just need to edit the css coding as my forum links look weird using my sites normal link colours...

Daniel15

As beanstalk mentioned, there's an extended version of this guide available at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=145838.0. It is updated for SMF 1.1.1 (this post was based on SMF 1.0 RC2, which was released a long time ago.

wcravens

In using the 'simple' method I'm getting extra non-printable characters output any time I use an include('xyz.php') in the index.template.php.  The characters are '' by the time they get to the browser.  The codes seen on the network are #ef #bb and #bf.  I've tried both with and without compression just in case.

Test code:
echo '</head><body>';
echo '<!-- Test from index.template.php just prior to include. -->';
    include('../header.php');
echo '<!-- Test from index.template.php just subsequent to include. -->';

Output to browser:
<!-- Test from index.template.php just prior to include. --><!-- Test just inside header.php -->

Any help greatly appreciated.

beanstalk

Advertisement: