vb to SMF db prefix

Started by bigaldizzler, September 26, 2007, 11:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigaldizzler

Hello,
I am a little bit confused...
I am attempting to do a vb 3.6.7 conversion to smf.  I am kinda stuck on the step where I need to enter a database prefix in the settings or config file.  Its currently set at 'smf' but I dont know if I should keep it there, change it to something else, or delete it and leave it blank ''.   

When I originally installed vb I was advised not to name a db prefix by vb staff.  I am kinda confused.   :(

otsian

keep it at smf.

It's good to have a prefix, because if you have something else using the same database, they might both try and use the same table name.  a prefix reduces the likelyhood of that to close to zero.

bigaldizzler

Quote from: otsian on September 27, 2007, 09:58:13 AM
keep it at smf.

It's good to have a prefix, because if you have something else using the same database, they might both try and use the same table name.  a prefix reduces the likelyhood of that to close to zero.

Thanks for the response :), Hmm, I suppose but this should only apply if I have "something else using the same database" I may do this in the future but I doubt it.   But...I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a db prefix there does it? Also should a db prefix be something meaningful instead of 'smf' or it doesn't matter? Can I change the prefix later on down the road without any adverse effect on the db and forum? 

Also...in regards to my conversion from vb the db I am using for vb doesnt have a prefix at all.  When converting to smf  in the smf settings I should leave the smf settings for prefix as 'smf' even though my db from the vb has no prefix?  I am kinda confused  >:(

Thanks   8)

otsian

smf is meaningful, as it stands for simple machines forum.  because you never know what else might require the database in the future, it's recommended practice.  it doesn't matter if the original doesn't have a prefix, and the new one does.

bigaldizzler

Hm I think I finally got it!  ;)

I was originally going to rename the 'smf' prefix to something that relates to my forum but I see why I should leave it as 'smf' now.

Thank you!  8)

JayBachatero

You should prefix it before installing.  Save yourself the headache.  Also were you able to convert?
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

bigaldizzler

hmmm Jay...how would I go about prefixing my nonprefixed vb db....

I haven't done the conversion...so busy with school lately driving me nuts.   :'(

JayBachatero

I say don't worry about vB.  Just prefix the SMF install.
Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Advertisement: