News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Help! Just got into a total mess!

Started by AbsolutelyFreeWeb, November 11, 2004, 09:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

I moved my forum to a windows server and after changing the paths everything seemed ok!

Then I noticed mail doesn't work since sendmail isn't present on windows.

I used smtp and It worked for inbound mails but not for outbound, it need auth.

So I began experimenting and found out how to send auth mails from telnet :)

I set up the auth, registered a user, then logged in as admin and delted him without deleting his post.

Somewhere here things went competely wrong, because next time I wanted to register an account, it just blanks out the fields and no user is registered! help!!

ok so I looked at least one mail should have been sent out, but it seems smf doesn't handle auth right. Here is the debug:

11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83         220 domain.com ESMTP MailEnable Service, Version: 1.73-- ready at 11/12/04 01:52:07   0   0   
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   EHLO   EHLO mail.finexe.com   250-domain.com [207.44.249.83], this server offers 2 extensions   93   22   
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   AUTH   AUTH LOGIN   334 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   12   
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   AUTH   {blank}   334 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   18   30   [email protected]
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   AUTH   MDEwMTAxMDE=   235 Authenticated   19   14   [email protected]
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   MAIL   MAIL FROM: <[email protected]>   250 Requested mail action okay, completed   43   30   [email protected]
11/12/04 01:52:07   SMTP-IN   B5A8B810430C4BEBA571B6EE2872D1.MAI   404   207.44.249.83   RCPT   RCPT TO: <[email protected]>   503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings.   87   34   [email protected]

User/pass xxxxx:ed out here. As you see it passes authentication but fails in rcpt to: (it needs to specify the mail in a certain way with <[email protected]> [email protected]  otherwise you will get a 503

So I try further to register account from the admin interface and it works, but then I look at the error log and see:

2: mysql_fetch_assoc(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\finexe.com\subdomains\community\httpdocs\Sources\Register.php
Line: 309

2: mysql_free_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource
File: C:\Inetpub\vhosts\finexe.com\subdomains\community\httpdocs\Sources\Register.php
Line: 314

Ran into problems sending Mail. Error: 503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings.

So this is a total mess.. worst is noone can register now. What do I do, how do I restore??

Help!!!
:hearts:
I use finexe web for
domain registration and hosting.

[Unknown]

You can't register twice in a row.  Try using the admin center.

-[Unknown]

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

twice in a row? you mean it checks ip ? no error messages?
I use finexe web for

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

so how long must I wait before I can register a new one from the same ip?

I would prefer it would say why it doesnt allow registration..
I use finexe web for

Oldiesmann

I'm not sure, but I think it's 15 minutes or so.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

oh ok, then I can wait.

Regarding the mail issue, I think the smtp auth part must be changed to send correct rcpt to:s.

Also do you understand the error messages it generates?

(mysql_fetch_assoc(): and mysql_free_result(): ) ??
I use finexe web for

[Unknown]

You can ignore that error.

The SMTP is done according to specs.  It even says "235 Authenticated"....

-[Unknown]

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

well my server wants it this way (I was a bit wrong above)

mail from:<[email protected]> [email protected]

It wants it after that the authentication is completed.

I've just made a modification in subs-post.php, I am waiting to be able to register again so I can see if it succeeds.
I use finexe web for

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

I use finexe web for

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

could you please register there? I'm tired of waiting. If you succeed to register and get a welcome mail it should all be ok.
http://community.finexe.com
I use finexe web for

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

I just tried via proxy and that didnt work.. maybe it uses cookie??
I use finexe web for

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

thanks for helping me out. No, it seems it still gives a 503 even with my mod:

2004-11-12 04:15:42 207.44.249.83 SMTP-IN finexe.com 207.44.249.83 276 RCPT RCPT+TO:+<[email protected]>[email protected] 503+This+mail+server+requires+authentication.+Please+check+your+mail+client+settings. THE-NATION 87 71 [email protected]
I use finexe web for

[Unknown]

QuoteDiscussion:
       The optional AUTH parameter to the MAIL FROM command allows
       cooperating agents in a trusted environment to communicate the
       authentication of individual messages.

If the AUTH parameter to the MAIL FROM is not supplied, the
       client has authenticated, and the server believes the message is
       an original submission by the client, the server MAY supply the
       client's identity in the addr-spec in an AUTH parameter when
       relaying the message to any server which supports the AUTH
       extension.

It is conforming for an implementation to be hard-coded to treat
       all clients as being insufficiently trusted.  In that case, the
       implementation does nothing more than parse and discard
       syntactically valid AUTH parameters to the MAIL FROM command and
       supply AUTH=<> parameters to any servers to which it
       authenticates using the AUTH extension.

Lovely reading RFCs, isn't it?  My point is that this is totally optional, and not even supported by many servers.  Adding it could break properly written servers, while the one you're using (which seems to be NOT following the spec) might work, or might still even not work.

I attempted to register on your forum and received no email.  Obviously the change you made had no positive affect.  But, from your reply (made while I was typing) you've done it wrong = the AUTH should be set to <[email protected]>, and should be on MAIL FROM not RCPT TO.  In other words, your server wants you to send your username/email along with every email you send, even though you already sent it.  I swear, that's so pointless unless you're a bonified relay.

To register a second time, simply close your browser and open it again.  It's really not that complex.

-[Unknown]

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

oops, thanks for pointing this out.

it's 5 a.m. a bit late for thinking heh  :)

My Server is new, it should be a typical windows plesk 7.0 setup using mailenable 1.0, php 4.3.6 and iis 6.0

Hope it doesn't have yet more oddities..  I will make the change you suggested before sleep.

Really thanks for helping me out and for always so good support! :)
I use finexe web for

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

You were absolutely right. I discovered the mail server settings and reverted back to the original .php

It all works now *blush* Thanks so much :)
I use finexe web for

Advertisement: