[Deprecated, use Aeva] YouTube BBCode v2.6

Started by Nao 尚, September 27, 2007, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemigene

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 10, 2008, 02:52:29 AM
Could someone in the team please update the 1st post in the topic, and the mod page, to specify that support for this mod was dropped? (And NO, I'm not taking over this one... It has no use, it looks like an afterthough, a stripped-down version of Aeva...)

To everyone: you should turn to Aeva, which was created by the same author. This mod is still being supported. It allows you to disallow the embedding of videos inside quotes, and the use of the original embed html, among other things.

Hi Nao,

I discovered AEVA after I posted my question.

Maybe a moderator should close this thread?

Cheers,
Gene
"Religion is metaphysical statism. I will be ruled by no man on earth, nor by any god in heaven"

fyndler

Hi when i try to install this it only says

Some of the files the package manager needs to modify are not writable. This needs to be changed by logging into FTP and using it to chmod or create the files and folders. Your FTP information may be temporarily cached for proper operation of the package manager.

I put in my ftp setting and it just says
Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.

I have setted chmod 755 on the files :/

Nao 尚

Lol...This mod is not supported...Use Aeva instead...

(I'm still requesting for a moderator to possibly edit the topic's first post and indicate that this mod has been superceded by Aeva... Thanks ;))
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Phat^Trance

is it possible to add the high quality videos with this mod?
Daily Mobile Blog:  http://dailymobile.se/
Daily iPhone Blog: http://dailyiphoneblog.com/
Daily Mobile forum: http://forum.dailymobile.se/

Nao 尚

The Youtube bbcode mod will do nothing more than Aeva already does... (It actually does much less, I believe?)
And I'm working on the HQ stuff. It should already work for 90% of existing videos. The only problems happen with videos that only have a HQ version (no normal quality). HD video isn't available either (IIRC), but I'll be working on it, too.

Still, I don't think the Youtube bbcode does any of this...
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Relyana

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 11, 2008, 05:04:11 AM

No one took over this mod ?    :o

The other mod (aevac) never worked out for me .... I can't even think about upgrading to smf 2.0.x without the youtube mod. I'd lose more than 1.000 videolinks  :(

searchgr

How can i change the youtube dimensions to 640 X 505 ?

Nao 尚

Quote from: Relyana on December 26, 2008, 11:29:53 AM
Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 11, 2008, 05:04:11 AM

No one took over this mod ?    :o
Yes. Just like no one wanted to take over Aeva... Because it requires too much support and it's complicated to implement.

QuoteThe other mod (aevac) never worked out for me ....
Then why don't you go over there and ask for help? Or just try the latest version? Aeva 5.1.25 seems to be working for everyone who had issues before.

QuoteI can't even think about upgrading to smf 2.0.x without the youtube mod. I'd lose more than 1.000 videolinks  :(
I'm afraid there's no solution for the youtube mod...

@searchgr> Use Aeva and wait until I implement some easy way to do it ;)
Just back from my holidays...

Relyana

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 28, 2008, 03:53:00 PM
Yes. Just like no one wanted to take over Aeva... Because it requires too much support and it's complicated to implement.

Is not like I do not appreciate your work ... I do but the aeva mod is so HUGE .... I honestly believe that less is better sometimes and this is just the case. So many useless videosites in there. I'm using the Embedded Media Field module for Drupal and I love the way they implemented the videolinks. Still smf is so much easier to work with but that doesn't mean that I love adding tons of cods just for the sake of having additional features. I just love Karl's Youtube mod.
It would be better if people could get the codes for the videosites of their choice in a specific thread and just keep the more popular/requested videosites in the mod. It would make your life so much easier as a modder as well I believe. Just my 0,02 $.   :)

Then why don't you go over there and ask for help? Or just try the latest version? Aeva 5.1.25 seems to be working for everyone who had issues before.
I promise I'll give it a go as soon as smf 2.0 RC1 will be released.  ;)

Never say never.  I might decide to keep the mod with or without support for it.  :P

Nao 尚

Quote from: Relyana on December 28, 2008, 04:21:28 PM
Is not like I do not appreciate your work ... I do but the aeva mod is so HUGE .... I honestly believe that less is better sometimes and this is just the case. So many useless videosites in there.
Err, did you ever test recent versions?
Aeva allows you to disable websites manually. You can also choose to enable only "popular sites" (i.e. these places were most videos are, like YouTube, DailyMotion, Imeem, etc.), and disable the rest. You can even enable YouTube and disable everything else (just click "Check all" on every section once or twice, to make sure it's unchecked, and then simply check the one and only website you want to enable).
Then hit "Save" and the new Aeva-Generated-Sites.php file (which is used by Aeva to load the site list) will only contain YouTube, and thus will be as fast and as simple as the YouTube BBCode mod.
Then you can add more sites in the admin area as simply as you enabled YouTube, if anyone starts posting videos than are not from YouTube.

QuoteI'm using the Embedded Media Field module for Drupal and I love the way they implemented the videolinks.
I don't know what this does.

QuoteStill smf is so much easier to work with but that doesn't mean that I love adding tons of cods just for the sake of having additional features. I just love Karl's Youtube mod.
He also completely rewrote Aevac (now Aeva) to address the one thing you're talking about -- the difficulty of dealing with so many sites ;)
And I'm doing my best to make it even better and simpler.

QuoteIt would be better if people could get the codes for the videosites of their choice in a specific thread and just keep the more popular/requested videosites in the mod.
It's already being discussed in the Aeva topic...

QuoteIt would make your life so much easier as a modder as well I believe.
Not really. First of all, no one seems eager to submit new code. So I'm doing it all. Second of all, I actually find it enjoyable to add new sites myself.

I promise I'll give it a go as soon as smf 2.0 RC1 will be released.  ;)
It also works on SMF 1.1.x...

Never say never.  I might decide to keep the mod with or without support for it.  :P
Well at least I can only offer my opinion: I'll never take over the YouTube mod because it would make my life more complicated, and it already is complicated enough as it is. I put the emphasis on YouTube compatibility and I'm currently working on improving YouTube embeds -- adding full Widescreen support as well as HD. This won't be in the YouTube BBCode mod, so it's really your decision in the end, but you have the facts now.

ianus

Greetings!

Quote from: Nao 尚 on December 10, 2008, 02:52:29 AMCould someone in the team please update the 1st post in the topic, and the mod page, to specify that support for this mod was dropped?

I would like to see a verification.
Not long ago there was an update: v2.4 - 5th October 2008
and I know other mods thread of karlbenson and he seems to leaf a message if he plan to stop support.

Nao 尚

Karl left the SMF community a few days after he posted "final" updates to Aevac and the YouTube bbcode.
Read his farewell message here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=268542.0
He went back online last month to help me with the transition and officially call me new maintainer for Aeva.
He still comes by from time to time, under a new name (he doesn't keep it hidden, but I won't post it here and will let himself be known if he wants to). Still, he gave up all of his mods at once, if that's what you wanted to know. Including YouTube BBC, obviously.
Since I have no plans to take over YTBBC, and I don't think anyone will take over (especially with Aeva still being supported), I think it's safe to say you should update to Aeva.

I don't know about the exact history, but I think the YTBBC mod was born out of a need for the SMF community to embed YouTube videos, and given the sudden popularity of the mod, Karl devised a new, improved way of embedding videos. So, basically, Aeva is the successor to YTBBC, and it works better. You can keep YTBBC installed, or uninstall it and run the script that Karl wrote to convert YTBBC links to regular (Aeva-powered) links. (You can find this script on the Aeva topic, read the last pages. Or just click on my name, then "Show contributions", then "Attachments"... It should be the first file to come up.)

ianus

Not the kind of response I like to read. It makes me sad to hear that such a decent fellow quit from the community so completely. I will miss him and hope, that something stunning has happend and he can enjoy his life.

Anyway, thanks for your answer. It's not what I hoped for but appreciated.
May both of you have a lot of fun an success with everything you do.

Nao 尚

Quote from: ianus on January 06, 2009, 04:34:36 PM
Not the kind of response I like to read. It makes me sad to hear that such a decent fellow quit from the community so completely.
Well he hasn't totally quit it -- he just quit his former involvements. He still loves SMF and loves a good challenge like I do. I guess he just got caught into a spiral of making more and more mods and having to support them (he made nearly 50 mods all in all). It didn't leave him with any spare time. He was also a SMF tester, team member and a huge community collaborator. Basically, in 2008, I consider I worked very hard for the community, but he probably did twice what I did. I can understand he would want to give everything up at once, and start living a safe life again.

QuoteAnyway, thanks for your answer. It's not what I hoped for but appreciated.
May both of you have a lot of fun an success with everything you do.
Thanks.
Just wait until I implement that frigging aeva tag now, eheh ;)

tittiger

Works with some links such as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyRwhRLKtxE

But not in this form:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5949034802461518010&q=greenhouse+conspiracy+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

and I can not get Google to give me a cleaner URL for the video. In the format of the first URL

with the latter syntax I get  "#Invalid YouTube Link#"

Thanks,
Joe

Nao 尚

The YouTube BBCode mod has been abandoned by its author.
(34th time's a charm.)

It will never show you anything else than youtube.com videos.

If you want to have access to more video websites, with no need for useless tags on each of them, use Aeva. I'm currently working on adding custom video sizes and widescreen support (nice for YouTube I guess). Will be ready this week I think.

tittiger

Thanks very much my friend. I am waiting in anticipation. 

I am confused however which of the 5 mods listed is the one to DL. 

Is v5.1.36 the version for SMF 1.1.7 with Subs-Aeva-Sites the as yet unreleased next version?

Thanks again,
Joe

Nao 尚

Aeva 5.1.36 is the file you want, yes.
Subs-Aeva-Sites.php is just the latest version of the site list. It's used internally by Aeva to always get the latest up to date site list, even if you're not updating Aeva itself. (That's a feature I've been implementing yesterday. It's not yet fully tested but my first tests are working.)

searchgr

Most Popular Mods
1. Ad Management mod
2. YouTube BBCode

The No.2 most popular mod is not supported anymore! Great!

Nao 尚

Oh my... When are people going to read what I'm saying?

YouTube BBCode used to be #5 on that list, while Aeva had been #1 for weeks (months?). When Aeva dropped last weekend from #1 and disappeared from the list (due to my changing some of the download links), I guess some users relied on this mod instead (not knowing about Aeva) and that's how it went up to #2.

Again: Aeva is the successor to YouTube BBCode. And it's supported.

(35th's a charm. Maybe.)

Advertisement: