News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Deprecated, use Aeva] YouTube BBCode v2.6

Started by Nao 尚, September 27, 2007, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

netco

it doesnt work with WYSIWYG editor
just work with bbc
There is no need to think or choose . just smf

Nao 尚

Well it's been abandoned, what would you expect anyway?
And why would you install this at all, when you're already using Aeva? ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

karlbenson

Well it works with the wysiwyg in as much as it smf prevents it from being turned into a flash object inside the wysiwyg.
(that would be bad)

Neverhurry

Hello, is it possible to change the default size? thank you.
I am using SMF 2.0.1, curve themes.

zinkox

Hi

Today I wanted to add a new video, but it seems it doen't work anymore. Also all the old videos do not work anymore.

Any info on that?

Nao 尚

Use Aeva + its YTBBC->Aeva conversion script.

R.Bourne

Quote from: Nao 尚 on March 01, 2009, 04:16:31 AM
Well it's been abandoned, what would you expect anyway?
And why would you install this at all, when you're already using Aeva? ;)

Sir, anytime someone posts a question here, I feel dizzy seeing your reply similar to above. Enough already ... your message received and well understood!

We need a simple MOD to allow our subscribers link to their favorite youtube movies. Nothing more nothing less. I found this one which did the job, however, later on I chose yours ... up to version 5.xx!

A few min ago, I finally decided to upgrade to your 6.xx which I was shocked to see a senseless link to your web site right under each and every youtube movies!!!

I uninstalled it fully and completely in less than 3 minutes!

Reason? Well, there are thousands MODS for SMF. If everyone of these so talented developers wanted to add a link to their own sites, can you imagine what would happen?!!! A complete mess!

OPEN SOURCE is all about playing fair. That, we understand. And, my friend, that is exactly why I uninstalled your MOD. I have over 50 other MODS installed to enhance my forum. I can assure you that without those MODS my forum was dead! While I truly appreciate your hard work creating your version, however it is just not fair for me to allow your link show up on my forum the WAY you like it.

FYI to others, this MOD may have a few limitations but it works as designed and it DOES its job. If you have problems, almost 99% there is a chance that your custom themes need a modification here or there.

Nao 尚

Admin > Modifications/Features > Aeva > Check "Show copyright in footer".

Gone are the links in every post. No need to yell at me...

I spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours working on Aeva, all for free, and I felt I at least deserved some credit.
Aeva is the best mod of its kind, including all other forum software, and all video embedding software. Even YouTube doesn't allow you to choose more than "low quality" and "high quality" on their website -- Aeva provides you with every available quality type, and even stores your preference in a cookie. Enough said.
You want to use it? Good for you. Accept the link. If you don't want it to show up everywhere, fine by me, show it in the footer, it'll be less obvious. That's what that option is for. It'll only show on pages with videos in them anyway. If you really don't want a link anywhere, then reinstall v5.2 -- it's still available on the mod site for now. It's not like I'm tricking anyone into adding a link to my site. Gosh.

As for the YTBBC mod, it lacks many, many features in Aeva. Install Aeva, disable all websites except for YouTube: you still get ten times more functionality than YTBBC. At one point I thought of taking over YTBBC and going the "Aeva light" route, but in the end I felt it was unneeded. My philosophy is -- when a tag can't be done with, then use it at any rate. If it can be avoided, then don't implement one. Video URLs don't need a tag.

R.Bourne

I was not yelling at you, Sir! I was only disappointed!

Click here ---> http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=0-;sort=downloads;desc

Allow me to translate the situation here! Your MOD has been downloaded over 80,000 times! It's top number 4 on the list of all available MODs on SMF world.

Let's look closer! There are about 180,000 forum members here. Less than half of all these guys downloaded your MOD! You still don't feel it's enough people know your name? Only God knows how many unregistered SMF users are out there and how many thousands more use your MOD! Fair enough?

Now, you still want more credit? From who else?! My forum is not up yet but I promise you that whoever visits there, they honestly don't care about "who" / "where" / "how"! It would only make them confused what this link is all about: LQ | HQ | by Avea?!! And, we have to post a new FAQ to explain to them what is going on!

Your MOD is cool! No doubt. It saves people one extra click and provides a great experience for users not to leave the forum for watching a 2 min video. For that, I sincerely thank you ... and surely the other 80,552 (...and counting!) feel the same.

------------
P.S. I buy a new car exactly every 3 years. Almost always, the first thing I do is getting rid of the license plate frame which shows where I bought my car! I am not going to advertise the dealership to everyone on the streets. But, certainly I recommend them to those who would be interested to know!

Nao 尚

Quote from: R.Bourne on April 11, 2009, 10:24:16 AM
Let's look closer! There are about 180,000 forum members here. Less than half of all these guys downloaded your MOD!
Actually, you're miscalculating...
I've released 26 different versions of Aeva. Karl himself released 24 versions of Aevac 1 through 4. That's a total of 50 releases. Do you think 80.000 people downloaded only one of these releases and stayed with it? Nah, I don't think so... Actually, if you have a look at the numbers, Aeva itself gets about 3.000 downloads a month per version (if the version stays current for all that time). So there are probably 5.000 to 10.000 users in total (even counting the users who installed it once and forgot it), maybe 2.000 regular users (ie who update regularly), and that's all.

QuoteYou still don't feel it's enough people know your name? Only God knows how many unregistered SMF users are out there and how many thousands more use your MOD! Fair enough?
Unregistered SMF users still have to download the mod through the mod page, and it still increases the download counter (ask SleePy if you don't believe me).

QuoteNow, you still want more credit? From who else?! My forum is not up yet but I promise you that whoever visits there, they honestly don't care about "who" / "where" / "how"! It would only make them confused what this link is all about: LQ | HQ | by Avea?!! And, we have to post a new FAQ to explain to them what is going on!
Then use the "Show in footer" option. No one reads footers. I just felt I could offer myself the pleasure of NOT setting this by default. After all, the "by Aeva" notice only appears on YouTube videos (with lookups enabled) and on sites where titles are enabled (or all sites if you enabled "always attempt to retrieve title"). While with the footer notice, it appears on every page with an Aeva video (although not as prominently). You get to choose.

QuoteP.S. I buy a new car exactly every 3 years. Almost always, the first thing I do is getting rid of the license plate frame which shows where I bought my car!
lol, me too.

R.Bourne

Thank you for your reply. :)

As a good SMF citizen, it's not my intention to ignore MOD developer's hard work by getting rid of their signatures / links. Everyone out there has every right to expect some kind of compensation for their work. That, I understand.

But, take my forum for example. Currently, I have over 51 MODs (and counting!!!) to do what most other forums do! I need each and every one of them. But right now, at the bottom of each and every page there are 4 links including SMF itself that point to MOD / Theme developers' own sites! One of these guy's site actually is not even active anymore! Those links used to overlap each other and or go over the designated space because of my theme itself! There is not enough room, believe it or not! Not to mention, since I really want my forum to be perfect in any way possible, I've spent a great deal of time just to take care of these little issues.

Now, imagine if all the other 50 something MOD developers wanted to add a link here! What a mess!!! So, although I'd love to have your MOD back, this signature issue is the show-stopper.

In short, I don't have any other choice but using a similar MOD, which certainly is not be as perfect as yours, but it gets the job done.

Honestly, this should be a heads up for all MOD developers who think it would be a good idea to add a link to their  own sites. They should think twice. And, I'd suggest SMF engineers should come up with some kind of standards for this.

Nao 尚

Quote from: R.Bourne on April 12, 2009, 06:58:35 PM
But, take my forum for example. Currently, I have over 51 MODs (and counting!!!) to do what most other forums do!
I only have a dozen and I'm happy with that... 51 mods, you're calling for problems.

QuoteI need each and every one of them. But right now, at the bottom of each and every page there are 4 links including SMF itself that point to MOD / Theme developers' own sites!
What are the other links?

QuoteNow, imagine if all the other 50 something MOD developers wanted to add a link here! What a mess!!! So, although I'd love to have your MOD back, this signature issue is the show-stopper.
That's illogical. First you don't want my link in your videos. Then you don't want my link in your footer (but you perfectly accept 4 other links there). I'm giving you two possibilities and you don't want any. Then you say you'll be using a "similar mod", but there are NO similar mods. Aeva is the only one of its kind. You could simply be using v5.2.x which doesn't have the links at all. At least you'd be getting 75% of the functionality, lol.

Anyway-- it feels like you're trying to find a way around what you've been saying earlier. I don't have time for this.

QuoteHonestly, this should be a heads up for all MOD developers who think it would be a good idea to add a link to their  own sites. They should think twice.
Uh. You should think twice about people whose work you use, and who spend hundreds of hours working indirectly for you, requesting nothing in return. If you don't like that, don't use their mods. *And*, don't start talking aggressively to them like you did yesterday with me.

R.Bourne

Yes, 50 something critical MODs and that's why over 6 people have been working on this project since July 2008! Trust me on that. Once you truly want to use SMF to start a real forum, this number is very low. Please keep in mind that SMF 2.xx makes up for its many shortcomings and a few of our MODs wouldn't be necessary. However, in our case, it's too late to start everything from scratch.

In any case, back to our topic, you seem don't want to get my point here!

First of all, we both are hijacking this thread! Yes, I am as guilty as yourself. You, however, started it first. While you don't have anything to do with this MOD, you've kept getting involved encouraging people (aggressively) NOT to use this one!

Second, yes you got that right! I don't want to have any more link to individuals web sites on my forum. As I said, one main link to SMF site is more than enough. The rest? There is no point. IF really necessary, those extra links for plugins / extensions and etc, must exist in ADMIN related pages and that's all.

Again, there is no point or benefit to end-user's experience while browsing a forum, which provides completely different services, to know who or where a link to youtube, for example, comes from.

My 2 cents!

bloc

Quote from: R.Bourne on April 12, 2009, 09:32:34 PM
Yes, 50 something critical MODs and that's why over 6 people have been working on this project since July 2008! Trust me on that. Once you truly want to use SMF to start a real forum, this number is very low. Please keep in mind that SMF 2.xx makes up for its many shortcomings and a few of our MODs wouldn't be necessary. However, in our case, it's too late to start everything from scratch.

In any case, back to our topic, you seem don't want to get my point here!

First of all, we both are hijacking this thread! Yes, I am as guilty as yourself. You, however, started it first. While you don't have anything to do with this MOD, you've kept getting involved encouraging people (aggressively) NOT to use this one!

Second, yes you got that right! I don't want to have any more link to individuals web sites on my forum. As I said, one main link to SMF site is more than enough. The rest? There is no point. IF really necessary, those extra links for plugins / extensions and etc, must exist in ADMIN related pages and that's all.

Again, there is no point or benefit to end-user's experience while browsing a forum, which provides completely different services, to know who or where a link to youtube, for example, comes from.

My 2 cents!

Sorry for jumping in lol, but I fully agreed on this statement. Its ridiculous when you have to tolerate not only SMF copyright(which should be there, seeing as its the engine thats running the whole show) but also countless other mods and even themes.

I have had some thinking about my own mod, TinyPortal, around this, and come to the conclusion that copyright might be better served as a separate page. I also create SMF themes and leave credit link to it on theme itself, but that too, is not something that a major site would want to have visible.

What other mod and even theme developers do, is of course their choice, but I personally will change it. For smaller sites that ok, but bigger sites will be reluctant to use it if no other options are available and in the longer run that will hurt more than benefit.

"Optional" could for example be a simple page called from ?action=credits, where it lists up all contributors with links 'n all, that would be a much more tidy way of actually giving credit where credit is due - but not gagging the site in links either. 

R.Bourne

Quote from: Bloc on April 13, 2009, 05:28:49 AM
Sorry for jumping in lol, but I fully agreed on this statement. Its ridiculous when you have to tolerate not only SMF copyright(which should be there, seeing as its the engine thats running the whole show) but also countless other mods and even themes.

I have had some thinking about my own mod, TinyPortal, around this, and come to the conclusion that copyright might be better served as a separate page. I also create SMF themes and leave credit link to it on theme itself, but that too, is not something that a major site would want to have visible.

What other mod and even theme developers do, is of course their choice, but I personally will change it. For smaller sites that ok, but bigger sites will be reluctant to use it if no other options are available and in the longer run that will hurt more than benefit.

"Optional" could for example be a simple page called from ?action=credits, where it lists up all contributors with links 'n all, that would be a much more tidy way of actually giving credit where credit is due - but not gagging the site in links either.

Bloc, thank you for your comments and understanding. :)

Yes, I really like your suggestion. I have no problem to have a separate page only to give credit to each and every MOD / Themes developers on our forum. Indeed, this is the best and very professional way for both the forum admins as well as the MOD developers.

bloc

Indeed, I been adding links for some years now and it served me well..but in the bigger picture, its better IMO with a centralized apge. Search engines too will pick up on that, so its not like its removing the exposure either too much.

And perhaps, just perhaps, it will lessen the amount of people trying to circumvent the links, once they realize they are kept in one place only.

Nao 尚

Quote from: R.Bourne on April 12, 2009, 09:32:34 PM
Yes, 50 something critical MODs and that's why over 6 people have been working on this project since July 2008! Trust me on that. Once you truly want to use SMF to start a real forum, this number is very low.
I've always been maintaining my forums alone. They add up to about 300k posts in total. I just appoint moderators for them, more as rewards than as a real need. The technical side is all handled by me. Whenever I don't like something, I tweak it myself. Then I apply diff patches for SMF updates and it works fine, I don't have to update my custom changes.

QuoteFirst of all, we both are hijacking this thread! Yes, I am as guilty as yourself. You, however, started it first. While you don't have anything to do with this MOD,
I beg to differ... Aeva is basically a spin-off from YTBBC. Karl kept YTBBC around because he feared some people would not like the BBC-free alternative that Aevac offered. In the end it turned out to be useless. There's just a need to communicate on what Aeva(c) changes, what it does better, etc. That's what I set out to do when I took over Aeva. I nearly took over YTBBC as well but I felt I'd rather educate than try to sell a dumbed-down version of Aeva to people who wouldn't listen. Anyway.

Quoteyou've kept getting involved encouraging people (aggressively) NOT to use this one!
I'm always amused by how little people would read of a topic before posting on it. Most of the time, they ask for a feature which is already in Aeva, and the latest post in the topic mentions that. So I end up having to point that out again.

QuoteSecond, yes you got that right! I don't want to have any more link to individuals web sites on my forum. As I said, one main link to SMF site is more than enough. The rest? There is no point. IF really necessary, those extra links for plugins / extensions and etc, must exist in ADMIN related pages and that's all.
Can you explain me why there hasn't been a single (single!) remark about the very visible "SMF Media Gallery 1.5" link in all SMG pages? It's yet another widely mod that I work on. And the original reason why I figured I could add a link to Aeva, too.

And again: feel free to use Aeva 5.2 instead.

Quote from: Bloc on April 13, 2009, 05:28:49 AM
So, just because you don't agree with me, I should remove the link? Silly, silly me.

QuoteI have had some thinking about my own mod, TinyPortal, around this, and come to the conclusion that copyright might be better served as a separate page.
Yeah... But you still have to link at that page, eh? So in the end it's exactly the same issue.

QuoteFor smaller sites that ok, but bigger sites will be reluctant to use it if no other options are available and in the longer run that will hurt more than benefit.
Anyone can contact me and ask me for authorization to remove the credit. Just like they can remove the SMF credit if they have authorization. I'm not pointing a gun at anyone's head. I'm not forcing anyone to use Aeva 6 (which has the links). I'm not even forcing anyone to use Aeva at all, lol. And so far, only this user has been complaining about the Aeva links. Others have shared some concern, but they've always found a preferred choice between the "per-video" links and "per-page" links.

Quote"Optional" could for example be a simple page called from ?action=credits, where it lists up all contributors with links 'n all, that would be a much more tidy way of actually giving credit where credit is due - but not gagging the site in links either.
That's something you'll have to implement in SMF, as a SMF developer. If it ever happens, and it's clearly linked in every page, then yes, I'll consider putting a copyright notice over there instead.
But, again: the Aeva link only appears when Aeva is called. That is, if you don't have any video on your page, you won't see the link. The same can't be said about all other mods, because they hardcode their link into the SMF core template. It's another matter to discuss.

bloc

You missing the point, Nao. I would certainly be glad for just ONE link instead of multiple. And just because your mod(s) only displays the copyright when its used, many don't - as you say.

I am also not suggesting this for SMF, it would not be done until for along time anyway, as we are in RC stages. This would be for TP/Themes of mine, I am pondering on the best way of doing it.

If tables were turned, if I were a site owner building the next blogger.com using SMF and a few mods, does the credit belong to SMF+mods..or to myself for adding content, vision and maintenace...? Thats a legitimate question and while it may not be relevant for many smaller sites, SMF IS getting better known and we should take that into account.

If credits are collected it makes for better exposure of them, less "illegal" removals and an understanding of boths sides needs, IMHO.

Nao 尚

Quote from: Bloc on April 13, 2009, 09:54:00 AM
If tables were turned, if I were a site owner building the next blogger.com using SMF and a few mods, does the credit belong to SMF+mods..or to myself for adding content, vision and maintenace...?
Doing the next blogger/etc is no easy task. Adding 357 mods on your website is much easier than having to program them all. My very own noisen.com represents about 2 years of work, and it's still far from being complete. My philosophy is: if you don't want to reinvent the wheel, at least invest some time into the mods you're going to add. That way, you'll "deserve" their integration and removing the copyright notices etc. That's how I got started on PrettyURLs, SMG and Aeva, at least. Now I wouldn't appreciate seeing a "competitor" website use my work with nothing in exchange -- and not even show the credits. So, basically, you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. I don't use portals so I wouldn't know what your policy is on TP btw.

Advertisement: