News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

[Deprecated, use Aeva] YouTube BBCode v2.6

Started by Nao 尚, September 27, 2007, 05:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akbora

Nao, old convert bb code converts all video  with you tube code to aeva codes?
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

Nao 尚

Well yes, and it always has...

There are no 'Aeva codes'. It's just the plain simple URL to the video page. Aeva turns that into a video. (Although if you want lookup features, you'll need to reedit all posts with a YT video.)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

akbora

You are big Nao really, because I am very very disappointed, over hundreds I have YT codes before aeva mod. Thanks a lot
SMF 2.0.13
Default Theme
Utf8 Turkish
---------------

leftezi

QuoteI'm just worried that I've never heard about this issue before not because it didn't happen, but because people didn't notice because they didn't have many posts with the youtube tag...

Or they had no Utf8 posts other than English with YouTube videos.
Or they have edit the posts manually (if they were few)
Or they used a MySQL command to remove the [youtube] codes.
:-\

I need a little help:
I can not understand what this "lookup features" are exactly.
If someone can explain that with few words, or if there is a related link.  :)

Nao 尚

Lookup = AM will download the video page from the remote site when it's being embedded for the first time, and retrieve some information from it:
- Video title (to be shown below the video)
- In some cases, will get the actual video URL, meaning it's necessary for embedding videos from said site.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

watchman

i am using the default theme. do i need copy the file by ftp to install and that's it? what file exactly should it go in? i have version 1.1.11
thx

bostonb

Quote from: Arantor on December 15, 2009, 07:01:04 AM
People do like using [youtube] at times. Can come in handy on some types of forum where they don't explicitly want auto linkage.

I find that that is all I want for my forums, just the simple ability to use [youtube] tags for youtube videos, nothing else.... anything else added into a mod possibly complicates things and makes me worried for future versions

it is too bad that something so universal on the net such as [youtube] tags for a forum couldn't be built into SMF automatically so that there would be no stress when upgrading

Arantor

The thing is, it's far from universally desired, and in any case has required more maintenance than a core feature (not to mention that no SMF core feature is tied to any third party service, with the exception of Paid Subs / PayPal)

This mod will give you the [youtube] facility.

bostonb

Quote from: Arantor on January 19, 2010, 07:04:13 PM
The thing is, it's far from universally desired, and in any case has required more maintenance than a core feature (not to mention that no SMF core feature is tied to any third party service, with the exception of Paid Subs / PayPal)

This mod will give you the [youtube] facility.

ok thanks Arantor, I was just reading through the thread and it got me scared because I don't want to go with the aeva mod and just need a simple [youtube] functionality just like most forums that use vbulletin has, I don't want all the extras, but once I start using this mod I hope it will stay relevant for all future upgrades of smf, as I can't afford any problems with my large forum

leftezi

Same for me. I like simplicity.

Arantor

Personally I think there's nothing simpler than just copying the basic URL and leaving it at that and having Aeva automatically turn that into the YT video, but hey, whatever works.

leftezi

I mean i prefer a light mod without heavy changes and database inserts.

bostonb

Quote from: Arantor on January 19, 2010, 07:27:56 PM
Personally I think there's nothing simpler than just copying the basic URL and leaving it at that and having Aeva automatically turn that into the YT video, but hey, whatever works.

you underestimate the typical forum user of today, most have no problems putting youtube tags around a video they want displayed, just as the same person might want to just post the link to the video sometimes as well

I agree with leftezi too, I only use mods that are very simple, as I need my forum to be easily upgraded and reliable for years to come

Arantor

* Arantor IS a typical forum user of today.

Actually, [youtube] isn't as simple as it can get for some people. I know plenty of folks who have trouble with the [img] tag for example.

Jean Prado

Nao 尚

Quote from: Arantor on January 19, 2010, 07:35:40 PM
* Arantor IS a typical forum user of today.

Actually, [youtube] isn't as simple as it can get for some people. I know plenty of folks who have trouble with the [img] tag for example.
Holy +1!

@Piteel> Did you test Aeva?

@leftezi> Aeva doesn't do database changes.

@bostonb> Aeva is installed on over 6,000 forums and runs just fine for everyone, including huge forums etc.

LOL, I'm starting to love how I have to advertise a mod written with the exact same codebase ;)

PS: if you want a *small footprint* on your forum, what you need is Aeva 7.x, not Aeva Media. Both have the same functionality in terms of YouTube embedding.

Lamarck

I also wanted just a bbcode tag,I hope someone make a youtube bbcode tag MOD in the future...

Arantor

This thread is about such a bbcode tag, but seriously Aeva is even easier - how often have you seen users just copy/paste the URL to a Youtube video?

Nao 尚

Lamarck, you can use Aeva and use [youtube] tags in it if you want. I don't think they'll show up. They'll be useless but they'll make you feel good. ::)

Arantor, basically YTBBC was the 'original' mod, and AEVAC was its natural evolution for Karl. I think he kept supporting YTBBC because at the time, there were many different mods for different websites, but now they've all disappeared because AEVAC/Aeva is simply easier to use. At this point it's not even logical to keep the YTBBC mod around... I may very well pull the plug at some point.

Arantor

Nao: Sure, the line of progression makes sense. I'm just trying to help advocate using Aeva for the average user.

Advertisement: