News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Theme Authors: Theme Approval Guidelines

Started by Gary, September 27, 2007, 10:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumbaar

When you validator online, click the 'Show Source' button and Revalidate. It will then give you links to the shown source code so you can see exactly where it is in your source.  If it's a local hosted copy, you can use such things like FireFox and Web Developer tool to validate local hosted copies.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Smoky "Rider" Blue

lol ICH, i sure will, hold on, they are comming, and thank you very much.. you can expect a tut out of me on this, i can promise..  ;)
**Take the time to remember friendships and family.. Sometimes it's all we have, and missed very much**

Smoky "Rider" Blue

Quote from: Rumbaar on December 08, 2007, 02:06:34 AM
When you validator online, click the 'Show Source' button and Revalidate. It will then give you links to the shown source code so you can see exactly where it is in your source.  If it's a local hosted copy, you can use such things like FireFox and Web Developer tool to validate local hosted copies.

i dont have it set up like that, Rumbaar.. if i knew how to set up local, i'd love that too.. will try what you are saying too.. i thought bout the tidy clean up thing, but was too nervous as it is on line lol..
**Take the time to remember friendships and family.. Sometimes it's all we have, and missed very much**

Rumbaar

Yeah on my test server, the localhost validator is a godsent.  Which I only found in the last week :) The good thing with that is that it even does content that would normal be hidden on a normal validation, like things that only show up when logged in.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Smoky "Rider" Blue

where did you get the localhost validation?? i think i had a copy somewhere, but i have searched and cant find mine.. of and i have the xamp up now woohoo!! ;)

Rumbaar

Well with the Web Developer toolbar for FireFox.  Under the Tools options you'll see Validate Local HTML (Ctrl+Shift+A).  The benefit of this method, even for live sites, it that it validates the pages current source.  So if you are accessing content that is normally hidden to guest (which a normal web validation views as) it will all be validated.

[ Themes ]

Smoky "Rider" Blue

i have that Rumbaar lol.. the dom thing?? ok will check there thanks.. ;)

Rumbaar

[ Themes ]

Smoky "Rider" Blue

yep Rumbaar, i have that.. it shows on the top of my firefox  ;) thanks a bunch.. you have really helped me on this..  :D

forsakenlad

Quote from: Gazmanafc on September 27, 2007, 10:15:40 PM
- Templates must contain valid HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0 Transitional
Template files must be valid to HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0 Transitional. Tags must be in lowercase, and line breaks (<br>) must be closed (<br />), for more information this should help for XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

You say that themes can be valid HTML 4.01 but also say that tags should be in lower case. I don't think this makes sense Gary, as you know the HTML 4.01 specification allows the use of capital letter tags. I think that either HTML 4.01 shouldn't be allowed or the lower-case rule should be removed.

Take care,
Eren
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Rumbaar

Also I think if you use self closing tags like <br /> it will no longer be valid HTML 4.01.

[ Themes ]

Dannii

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

IchBin™

Why not just create our own HTML standard? :P
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Dannii

Oh we are already. And everyone hates it. Which is why we should shift to a proper one ;)
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

forsakenlad

Quote from: Dannii on January 07, 2008, 12:56:12 AM
Oh we are already. And everyone hates it. Which is why we should shift to a proper one ;)

LOL
Eren "forsakenlad" Yaşarkurt
SMF Friend & Former Team Member

Deaks

its not a massive point but can we ask theme authors to make sure the version tag in the theme_info.xml be the version of smf your forum will work with.

examples:
Accepted

<version>1.1.4</version>
<version>1.1</version>

Disallowed

<version>1</version>
<version>a</version>
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

LiamTheDuck

Im making my first theme and i got 18 XHTML errors :(

Can somebody help?
I am back, its been like a year... so yeah.... how has it been? :D

Gary

The validator will usually tell you what's wrong.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

LiamTheDuck

Aha, no errors and submitted ;)
I am back, its been like a year... so yeah.... how has it been? :D

IchBin™

A change and addition to the guidelines has been made. Please make sure you are following the guidelines. Thank you.
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Advertisement: