News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

How to integrate SMF Forum in Template using the bridge?

Started by nexus, November 13, 2004, 07:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus

Hi Community,

first of all I have to say that I am new with Mambo and SMF.
Now I want to integrqate the Forum in my Mambo navigation.
I heard that I must use a bridge.

MOS_SMF_BRIDGEv2.0beta
Mambo CMS: 4.5.1a
SMF: SMF 1.0 RC2

Mambo: hxxp:66.79.179.17/mambo/index.php [nonactive]
SMF: hxxp:66.79.179.17/mambo/components/com_smf/index.php [nonactive]

But I don't understand the english description for installing the bridge. So can anyone explain:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are all the required files for integrating Mambo and SMF.

There are instructions with each component and module.

The components and modules should be installed in this order:

com_smf
com_smf_registration
mod_smf_login

Be sure to read the readme.txt for each, because special instructions beyond just the installation may be required.

Make sure you install the correct component for the version of software you are running. 
Installing the wrong version will cause errors.

Some related things you might need to do:

If you are using a Mozilla browser, and you get a blank page when you go to your forum, you need to go into your Mambo control panel,
and turn off GZip compression.  This will fix your forum.

If you have session timeout problems with your bridge component, there are a few things that could be happening.  To remedy this, go
to your Mambo control panel, and set your session cookies to a very high number (999999999999999999999999 will do ;) ).  Then go to your
SMF admin area, "Edit Features and Options", and make sure of the following:

Use database driven sessions - unchecked
Enable local storage of cookies - unchecked
Use subdomain independent cookies - checked

Save these settings.  You should have no more session timeouts. 

If you still have problems, start with all three unchecked,  and try each one individually until it works. 
Different settings of these variables for different servers is not unusual.

YOU WILL NEED TO EDIT YOUR SMF THEME AND YOUR MAMBO TEMPLATE!  Be prepared for that.  Note that the SMF theme also controls
which links go where.  So, for example, if you want your SMF registration link to point to your integrated registration, you
change that in your theme.  If the look of your index?option=com_smf isn't quite right, you need to edit your Mambo template
so that your SMF will fit correctly.  There may be duplicate CSS entries.  The suggested practice is to copy the SMF CSS into
the Mambo CSS and then delete the duplicate you do not want. Don't try to open your SMF in your wrapper component:  It will
not function correctly.

Future upgrades:

There will be a v3.0 of the com_smf component.  The current component will not recognize some mods made by the SMF package
manager.  v3.0 will recognize those mods.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Oldiesmann

Have you read any of the SMF/Mambo threads in the Portal Development section? I'm sure someone there can help.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: