MOD Site?

Started by Grudge, August 03, 2003, 11:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Dickerson

Everything you just said is a summary (of sorts) to the mod site, except the blinking thing in the admin center. So something like what vB has? You can install mods from the admin panel. It is pretty much what a yabbpak (or a smfpack (?)) is.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Grudge

I've never tried vb...

Anyway - yes - being able to install MODS with the admin centre. But unlike YABB SE where you have to find peoples servers on your own there should be an "official" server where all approved mods can be hosted.

Example, say I make a mod and I post it in a (currently non existant) completed mods board. People try it and post about it. I make fixes etc. After a minimum waiting period (maybe 2 weeks) the mod is given a quick once over my a member of the "mod staff". They just check there is no obvious security risks etc. My mod is then added to the official database with a description of what it does etc.

Maybe this is asking too much but I think it would be just grand :D
I'm only a half geek really...

[Unknown]

I was working on the updated thing but it never caught on.

I also always use replace because add whatever had problems for me at first... but all my replaces equate to add's.  So replace shouldn't be disallowed...

Yeah, something like that.  You'll post it as done or send it in or soemthing, and we'll upload it on the server once we look over it... and all will be happy.

-[Unknown]

Joshua Dickerson

Grudge, it would be more like this ...

1.) you submit a form with the mod
2.) it goes into a 'unapproved' board
3.) someone from the mod team reviews it
... a.) Gets put into the approved mods board and you get a message
... b.) Gets rejected, deleted, and you get a message of why

If it gets accepted, you can submit changes.
If it doesn't, you can submit your mod again and again with the changes.

Rejected mods would be because they aren't actually mods (spam), they harm a board, they don't work (BM errors or the script doesn't work), or something bad. The guidelines will be posted when the mod site is ready.

Unknown: the only problems with the updated idea are that how will they know when the mods are updated? They will have to keep a list of installed mods. Would that be in a table, XML, or flat text file? Then when would that file/table be updated? Would it be when they click a link to check for updates of mods? Would it be an interval? Would it happen everytime they visit the admin center? Of course, all mods would be referenced by their id instead of their name so the size of that really doesn't matter. (talk on ICQ)

[Unknown]

XML and it already does.  Keep up with the times.

It would be updated when they connect to a server or open the package manager.  (it would connect to the default server via rpc.)

-[Unknown]

Joshua Dickerson

* groundup has never used a 'package'

I have probably installed a total of 5 mods in my time. I have always created my own mods.

truecrimson

Sounds very cool.  A few questions:

Would the brave of heart and strong of constitution be able to download mods from the "unapproved" area for testing(with a big disclaimer of course)?

When( and it will be when, not if) we begin upgradng from yabb se to smf will our existing mods be destroyed, or will they continue to work as they did when upgrading yabb se versions?

I like the idea of incorporating popular(or even unpopular, but useful)mods into new releases/upgrades.  No matter how good a job you do someone is going to find something that it doesn't contain but they want, and make a mod for it.  It would cut down on problems and support questions if each upgrade contained all the "cool new toys" in an official, secure, and bug free release.  That would also avoid having someone make a "supermod", and inspire people to upgrade.  The mods would be evolutionary to the developement, instead of individual customization.   Hope I said all that correctly.
Wouldn't you like to be a Llama too?

Joshua Dickerson

yes
no
ummm... I think that is what is planned?

truecrimson

Cool
*#%&-I think most of my curent mods are going to end up as standard features anyway
Excellent

2 out of three ain't bad at all ;D
Wouldn't you like to be a Llama too?

Haase

Quote from: groundup on August 05, 2003, 05:45:16 AM
yes
no
ummm... I think that is what is planned?

I would like to interject if I may.

Could it be possible instead to just include each new regular version of SMF, packs for each approved mod in the Package Updater section.  This would be kind of like the best of both worlds.  If you don't want to use a particular package, you don't have to worry about any additional code slowing down your page-times.  And the packages that you *do* want, it's just a simple click of a button to install it.

If any of you have ever set up squirrelmail, you know what I'm talking about.  You go to the mods section, type the number of the mod you want to activate, and it's activated.  Type the number of the mod you want to de-activate, and it's deactivated.

What I'm basically saying is that if you follow through with the 100% mod compatibility/approved mod philosophy, then there really is no need for a supermod kind of thing.  IMHO, one of SuperMods biggest selling points was that the ordinary user didn't have to deal with compatibility issues.   I mean, even after installing just 2 mods, I was pretty much forced to manually edit some sections to get the mods to work.  Of course...  that's also how I learned PHP.

In closing...  give me "SMF Lite" please... I don't want all that uneccesary crap cludging up my system.
Find out about Enigma, the portal built exclusively for YaBB SE will be continuing it's work towards SMF

David

Haase, there are plenty of the people on the team who will make sure SMF does not have too much crap.  ;)  Some people even feel the calendar should be removed.
This space for rent.

Haase

Quote from: David on August 05, 2003, 02:50:53 PM
Some people even feel the calendar should be removed.

EXACTLY!   ;)
Find out about Enigma, the portal built exclusively for YaBB SE will be continuing it's work towards SMF

Gobalopper

groundup I think we have another recruit! ;)

Joshua Dickerson

Haase: Gobalopper and I are pretty much the anti-bloat committee.

[Unknown]

I would take out the Calendar if it weren't already in there.  I don't think taking it out is a possiblity now.

That's why I want an SMF Max.  I don't want "SMF" and "SMF Lite" I want the standard edition to be lite.  Just my opinion.

-[Unknown]

Jeff Lewis

What do you guys have against the calendar? Many communities use it to plan events on???
Co-Founder of SMF

Joshua Dickerson

The reason why people get forum software is for the forum. If I wanted a calendar software, I would get it. There isn't much advancement as far as the calendar because no one is focused on it. Thus, it lacks in things that people expect from a calendar. What does that lead people to do? get better calendar scripts. That means that now they have 2 calendars. This is bloat. It was bloat from the start, but this just shows how much bloat it is.

Jeff Lewis

Thats not true, people get a forum to add to their community. An example is my baseball site, we plan events and use the calendar.

Forums aren't just messages anymore, you have to get over that. They have grown to be much bigger, the bar has been raised.
Co-Founder of SMF

Joshua Dickerson

How often do you use that calendar? Daily? Have you modded it? Wouldn't you want more features in it? Adding more features to it in SMF would be adding to the bloat, so a lot of people will just get another calendar software.

Jeff Lewis

If it's not added, people will complain and it will be another reason to go elsewhere.

It's called compeition. You either get involved against it or you fall behind in the pack - sorry :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Advertisement: