News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on June 13, 2012, 12:27:16 PM
There probably is but it's going to be performance intensive (read: very very slow)

But if we limit it to 3, it won't be that bad.

Do you know how it can be done?

Arantor

QuoteBut if we limit it to 3, it won't be that bad.

On what basis do you make that determination? Are you fluent in how table traversal works? Table scans? Unindexed text searching? Unless you do actually understand these concepts, please do not pretend to understand how these things work.

It's the same reason the Related Topics mod is so punishing on servers: you have to look up every single item to figure out which items are on the list. Since you need to go through every item on the list, it makes little or no difference whether you fetch 1 or 100, you still have to contend with the size of the table in its entirety, which is growing and only going to grow larger over time so this only gets slower over time.

But hey, you obviously know the subject better than me in order to make such pronouncements, don't need my advice.

Arantor

Why would anyone else have an idea? That's the point: there are certain things that cannot be changed.

In order for this to occur and not to be punishing on the server, you'd have to rethink major parts of Aeva, which I can *GUARANTEE* will not happen.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on June 13, 2012, 05:11:59 PM
Why would anyone else have an idea? That's the point: there are certain things that cannot be changed.

In order for this to occur and not to be punishing on the server, you'd have to rethink major parts of Aeva, which I can *GUARANTEE* will not happen.

You don't know what server I'm using, you don't know what is available to me, you don't know anything about my plan. I asked if the code could be developed (and I'm hopeful it can). I paid someone to develop a similar code for SMF Gallery Pro, where it displays similar titled images to topic titles. The block has been running for almost a year now, displaying three images at a time, and I've had nothing slow down on me - performance is fine and I have data to prove it. While you may be right with your PHP knowledge, understand that there are many unknowns here, so stop being presumptuous with me or anyone else on here looking to improve their website.

TheListener

Cool it please Liam.

Regarding the mod nothing can be added as an extra without the authors permission.

However as the mods author is no longer a part of the forum this is highly unlikely to occur.

I believe Arantor will correct me if I am wrong.

Why expect more from a mod which works perfectly as it is.

Arantor

It makes no difference what server you're on. The odds are that the slow-down is mostly that you don't notice it at present since your forum isn't actually that big but it will slow down over time, it is actually inevitable.

It's not even PHP that's under discussion here, it's the way MySQL works in interacting with text data.

The mod's author is technically a part of this forum still, he is only post-banned, but since he is actively working on an SMF rival he won't produce anything for SMF itself directly (though he has mentioned bug fixes etc. in the change notes for the rival)

Biology Forums

There's a problem in today's society with people telling others what they should want as opposed to what they do want. While it is perfect to you, I have my own ideas.

Thank you.

Arantor

I didn't tell you what you should want. I told you the problems with what you want, there's a difference. It's still doable but it's a lot of work to do properly.

Sure, you can bodge the crap out of it and make it work but it will only get slower over time, it needs restructuring and changes architecturally to Aeva to do it properly. I never said it was a bad idea in principle, because for your forum it's quite a good idea. It just has a lot more overhead, and I took umbridge that you're essentially telling me that I don't know anything when I do (hint: had you phrased it as a question about performance rather than trying to undermine me, I would have been a lot more receptive)

Then I remember the previous conversations we've had, and I realise that you're just as arrogant as I remember, that what you think must be right even when reality doesn't necessarily agree, eh, shuban?

Biology Forums

Why is it that when I choose a PNG as an album thumbnail, the transparent parts of the image are showing in black.

I'm using Chrome, but this happens with all browsers. Is there a fix?

Biology Forums

QuoteI didn't tell you what you should want. I told you the problems with what you want, there's a difference. It's still doable but it's a lot of work to do properly.

I wasn't referring to you in that statement...

Anyway, there's no need to be contentious or facetious (since I'm not in the mood) here. If there's no interest in developing it... leave it.

FrizzleFried

Unfortunately "official" support for this mod is non-existent.  I purchased the commercial version of this mod knowing full well of the fact.  I have an issue with multiple index errors popping up when people upload via the drop down menu rather than the button on the right... and I've asked for any info on how to fix it... but I've not found the solution thus far... but I'm not upset with the author.  I knew when I was buying when I bought.   The author has chose not to support his mod.  He's made it very clear.  Any help you get will have to be 3rd party... and no one is going to make any unauthorized changes to the guys code without permission which won't happen.

>sigh<

It sucks... but it is what it is.  In the end... its the user base that loses out because of the situation.

Baloch

Is there to import all pictures from AVEA MODULE to another free gallary? Because just because of AVEA MEDIA my non profitable site is getting continue issues.

Arantor

@Baloch: as per your other thread, Aeva is NOT your problem.

Baloch

Quote from: Arantor on June 17, 2012, 07:36:59 AM
@Baloch: as per your other thread, Aeva is NOT your problem.

But when I uninstall AEVA my problem is running okay. I need its IMAGE gallery only.

Arantor

You know that you can turn off the auto embedding part, right?

But you still have other problems that are unrelated to this mod.

Baloch

Quote from: Arantor on June 27, 2012, 12:33:37 PM
You know that you can turn off the auto embedding part, right?

But you still have other problems that are unrelated to this mod.
During installation I am getting few errors too

Arantor

What errors? You're really not making this easy for me to help you.

Kindred

if you get errors during installation, then that means that the mod will NOT install correctly unless you manually apply the changes which failed during the auto-installation.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheListener

Okay.

A strange thought but 1 I have never considered until now.

I have never looked into downloads using the mod but could a 67MB file be added and then downloaded by a user?

Advertisement: