General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

@petesky> Okay, for the first time in my life -- I've installed a portal mod. Granted, it's "only" on my test site, which I will wipe out at some point. But it's nicely made, hmm. I think it's a bit of an overkill though. I mean, when reading through the package scripts, it's littered with actions that are way too complicated for what they need to accomplish. I think. I understand it's for the good of the general public. But maybe the author should offer the SMF team some insight and advice on how to do user friendly presentations, rather than forcing it onto users who install the mod. I'm trying to be user-friendly, too, but by staying inside the limits of what SMF allows. I think. The worse I do is simply the way I retrieve the latest version number available.
Anyway! Regarding the upgrade process: indeed, what it does is download and run an upgrade script from the portamx website. Again, this is overkill to me. Writing an upgrade script takes time, when you could simply download the new package for your users, and then tell them to uninstall the current version before installing the new one. Honestly, I think it's the way to go...

@paul> What audio files? Direct MP3 links you mean?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Arantor

QuoteBut maybe the author should offer the SMF team some insight and advice on how to do user friendly presentations, rather than forcing it onto users who install the mod.

Huh? I haven't tried PortaMX but I'm curious to know what you mean here.

leparo

Hello World!

I am new user for Aeva/SMG combo and love it so far. I can't wait to install Aeva Media...

Still, I have one request for the Aeva part, which can be ignored if adressed in Aeva Media.

I would like to Accept external websites in addition to local embeds, but restrict it to mp3 only. I have tried to tick the "Accept external websites in addition to local embeds"  and "MP3 files (via Flash player)" options, but other external files types like .mov are then also embedded. I assume that the first option is not related to the second (which adress the local files handling). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is a concern as I don't want any .mov, or worst, .swf, .wma, from other part of the interweb be embedded in posts on my non moderated full of crazy people's forum.

I have searched and I think I have read more than 2/3 of the posts here and couldn't find any hint... I hope I didn't raise a question answered in page 7 with no mention to said options ;)

On a side note, it allowed me to fully appreciate Nao's straightforward and wity way of handling things, that I fully support. You are doing great and it's refreshing to read such no non-sens posts. Keep up!

petesky

Again - i installed the portaMX only because i need a simple portal script which works better then others i tried before. And this is what i need (only 5 static pages on my site). So far - i only suggested the update feature which is IMHO very cool.

I have seen this kind of update also in WoltLab Burning Board Lite which also use inline update of software, so the lazy user like me has only to click update and the rest is going itself which is very comfortable. If it's too hard to implement it doesn't matter - it was just an suggestion.

2 more things:

1) Maybe you can add "gallery" to your actions list bring up "media", because smf uses "action=gallery" before and if you have links in forum it will show up nothing.

2) SMF gave the option to move copyright to footer (as far as i remember) - this option collects all the mod centered there which is much better for you and not so pushy when all these external links are widespread over the page.

Thank you and merry christmas  ;)

DarkLite

This thing's amazing! Great work, one of the best mods I've found!

Nao 尚

Merry Christmas!
Aeva Media 1.0 Alpha is out!

Download this first official public release from the mod page :)
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=977

Version 1.0 Alpha                               December 25, 2009
-----------------------------------------------------------------
@ Rebranded SMF Media Gallery as Aeva Media, and integrated Aeva into the package.
  You need to uninstall both mods before installing this one, obviously. Also,
  I renamed pretty much all functions, variables, permissions, files and such
  to fit the new environment, so if you made any edits or added external code
  that relies on either Aeva or SMG, you'll need to update it. I wish translators
  good luck because they have a lot of work awaiting them... (Read Aeva.english.php
  for details. Use a file compare tool to ease your work.)

The wow-how-could-I-live-without-that stuff:

* Removed "General" and "User" album system. Now, all albums are user albums, and
  moderators can set them to "Featured" status (i.e. show them in the Media home page)
+ Album owners can now specify whether they want other users to be able to upload media
  to their albums. They can select them by membergroup or by giving a list of users.
  They can also specify users who are denied upload access, even if they're in an
  authorized membergroup. Just as for the regular viewing permissions.
+ Added support for description field in mass upload. Yaha, it only took minutes to add.
+ Added Quick Moderation on albums, for mass moving, mass approving, mass unapproving
  and mass deleting items in the page. I'm starting to wonder why I've been delaying
  these cool features for so long, when they only took so little time to implement.
+ In the album editor, show primary membergroups in bold, and check them by default
  when creating a new album, meaning all your users will be able to access it.
* Improved layout of many areas in Curve theme (SMF2 RC2)
* Aeva Media now has an entire dropdown admin menu of its own... It needed it!

The really, really cool stuff:

+ Added support for embedded videos in lightbox previewer on album pages
* Moved version number to inside the source files, rather than the database
  installer, in case you install your updates manually, like me. :P
* Rewrote much of the Mass Upload process' layout and features.
+ For instance, added automatic file sorting at selection time. You can sort by
  case-insensitive file names, file size or file date.
! In some situations, UTF8-encoded websites could return errors after a mass upload
  process, because the Flash uploader would return a BOM header.
* Moved album management features from admin area to regular area. The only difference
  now is that the admin area lists all albums, while the regular area only shows yours.
+ Added 'moderate_own_albums' permission to allow regular users to moderate their own
  albums, obviously. They can now approve and/or delete any comments on their albums,
  approve or delete any items on their albums (including those not posted by them),
  and delete their albums. Wooh, strong stuff. Use with caution.
* Modified all ';id=' URLs to use ';in=' instead. Instant mod_security fix! Deleted
  mod_security hack, as a result. Looked cool, had geeky code, no longer needed. Oh.

The neat stuff:

* Rewrote auto-embed copyright notice so it doesn't disrupt your regular copyright notice
* Changed a setting in aeva_listItems to allow for third-party pages to set a per-row
  limit for items (set it to 1 if you want a vertical list, for instance.)
- Finally got rid of these annoying 'user profiles' (quotas and permissions). Now, only
  admins can manage permission profiles. All existing user profiles can be edited by them.
+ Admins can now update the sitelist directly from within the admin area's
  Auto-embed section. The last check date is also specified.
+ Allow early overriding of Aeva Media settings through index.template.php's template_init()
  function and the $amOverride variable. You can see it in action at media.noisen.com
  where the number of items per row depends on whether the sidebar is enabled.
+ Added new API function (a function not used internally but for use in external pages),
  aeva_listMemberAlbums(int id_member), where you can get a quick list of albums for an
  owner, for use in a sidebar, profile, portal block or anything.
+ Show a small star next to Featured album names, in the complete album list.
* Renamed Gallery tab in main menu to 'Media', as it better fits the new direction.
! Fixed RSS link (for Foxy! addon) in album list, to point to a user's album list rather
  than their item list (it's not the same thing, I should have realized.)
* Improved sorting of albums in Move Items feature, both on item and stand-alone pages
! Check file size against quota before moving an item to a new album
! Fixed possible security hole in moderation panel

The who-cares stuff:

* Added a bolded warning in the admin area, about the checkorphans task breaking
  your gallery while it's running. Thought it might be worth mentioning, eh...
! All thumbnails/previews would be replaced with a doc icon if the allowed doc list
  ended with a comma, although only if the admin never saved settings in the admin area.
! When an admin changes aeva_unseen permissions, users will instantly see the outcome
  in the main menu, instead of having to go through an unseen item
* Added more checks for SMF2 to account for a bug in a Twitter mod
* In lightbox preview, Zoom option is now a circle with a + in the middle
- Removed SMF 2.0 Beta 4 compatibility. It's over a year old, time to move on!
! Changed the 'yes/no' system to a dropdown select box rather than radio buttons.
  The previous version is still in the code, commented out, if you want it back.
! Fixed URLs getting corrupted under embedded objects when they had a tilde in them
* Don't show the Permission/Quota Profile box if only the default one is available
! Fixed db_aeva.php's layout on SMF2, and made it CSS valid when run standalone
! Quota profiles are now clearly usable only by moderators and admins. This is
  because the default quota set will generally be lower than any extra profile
  (which would generally be used for VIP albums only, see?)
! Added size limitation to album names in Move option (when on an item page)
+ When uploading a file fails, log the reason and related variable (file size, etc.)
! SMF 1.1 + IE8 wouldn't recognize the browser as part of the IE family, thus choosing a
  different path code for embedded videos. Guys, how about switching to a real browser now?
* Slightly optimized a few of the description parsing calls, and the cutString function.
! Gallery admin was viewable by admins, but not by regular users with gallery admin rights
+ Added new members field (aeva), which shall soon be used to store per-user settings.
- Trimmed about 100KB worth of comments from getid3 module -- left all links/credits
  in it, hopefully removed most of the rest. Should reduce the size of the package.
  If you have any problem with ID tags in the future, please tell me!
+ Indicate album owner in Album Move page. Will need to better sort this,
  and apply it to the popup version in item pages, if ever.
! Fixed a minor logic error when doing a mass download
! Fixed a buggy regexp in aeva_autolink_urls()

! And as usual -- fixed an AWFUL lot of minor bugs, and added an even more awful lot
  of minor features and optimizations which aren't worthy of being presented here.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Norv

Cheers, this is wonderful Christmas news!
Thank you very much for it, and for the work you put on it!
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

C4G-TK

-img removed-

KensonPlays

I get an error on my main site.
(it installed on my test forum awesomely!)

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

I've got a minor problem still, have uninstalled previous versions but did not drop aeva related tables, would that explain why it's reporting that the auto-embedder needs an upgrade? all my local embedded videos are still just a link too, no player displaying

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Simplemachines Cowboy

Love it.
Two errors so far:
.../forum/index.php?action=media;area=moderate;sa=submissions;filter=items;sesc
8: Undefined variable: amSettings
File: /home/theopenr/public_html/forum/Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english.php (aeva_admin_submissions sub template - eval?)
Line: 1442

.../forum/index.php?action=admin;area=aeva_fields;sesc
8: Undefined index:  aeva_admin_fields_desc
File: /home/theopenr/public_html/forum/Sources/Aeva-Admin.php
Line: 2190
My SMF forum: The Open Range

Nao 尚

Thanks guys :)
Did my best to release it today. I left only an hour later to go see a show of the Lion King musical in Paris. (It was fantastic, btw!)

@bperry> No, it's just a known cosmetic issue... Aeva Media's update system is currently split in two. It checks the latest version for both Gallery and Auto-embed. The 1.0.710 version indicated is for compatibility only. Please disregard it. Of course your version is up to date.

@simplemachine cowboys> Thanks!
For the first bug, easy fix: open Aeva.template.php, line 1401, replace with:

global $context, $txt, $scripturl, $galurl, $settings, $amSettings;

For the second one, a bit harder, not much. Open Aeva-Admin.php, search for $txt['aeva_admin_' . $title . '_desc'] and replace with $txt['aeva_admin_' . substr($area, 5) . '_desc']. (Basically, replace $title with substr($area, 5) ;))

That should be all for now... :)
Well, I just realized SMF1 doesn't show options for the Albums tab in the admin area. Maybe it fixes itself when there's at least one album in the list. Hmm, will have to check.

Quote from: Naolington on December 25, 2009, 07:45:59 PM

@bperry> No, it's just a known cosmetic issue... Aeva Media's update system is currently split in two. It checks the latest version for both Gallery and Auto-embed. The 1.0.710 version indicated is for compatibility only. Please disregard it. Of course your version is up to date.

I follow you somewhat, but shouldn't it be displaying a player image on my locally stored videos which are embedded in old posts? Instead of just a link?

I have VBGamer's tagging system installed and finding posts with what were functioning embedded videos (.wmv's mostly) in my SMF 1.1.11 install w/Aeva "Lite", as you mentioned you may rename it... anyway, there's a whole slew of easy to find posts with embedded videos that are now just url's with Aeva Media and SMF 2.0 RC2, just go to the "Tag" cloud and find "embedded video" keywords, clicking on the link will give you a listing of all the posts I have inserted videos in and have tagged as same...

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

KensonPlays

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Garry1953

Hi
I've just replaced SMF Gallery to update to Aeva Media.

I have a problem with the bulk upload, it fills my forum with "core" 100meg files.

Apart from that seems to work fine.

Nao 尚

@kcmartz> you know, just telling me you have an "error" won't get me very far... I'm not into vague stuff.

@bperry> err yeah I guess... But remember, I said everywhere that it's an alpha version, not suitable for live websites.

@garry> uh, that's an OLD Aeva bug... Very old. I don't see why you'd be having it now. Means you're having server errors when uploading. Check your Apache logs.

KensonPlays

Well, i could probably install it successfully if it would let me UNINSTALL Avea non-Media successfully...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

KensonPlays

Ok, uninstalled Aeva and SMG. Installed this mod. and now no menu item appears?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

KensonPlays

I still get the error telling me to chmod the folders to 777, which I did, and nothing changed....

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Quote from: Naolington on December 25, 2009, 09:16:58 PM

@bperry> err yeah I guess... But remember, I said everywhere that it's an alpha version, not suitable for live websites.

Doesn't seem to be interfering with anything thus far, it seems to uninstall cleanly, and patience is my strongest characteristic, plus, you bring up an interesting point, I'm going to install Aeva Media on my development site and see what it does, let me know if you want something tested on a live site, happy to help make it better in future releases

Almost forgot, you need to change your file naming conventions, you can't put spaces or many special characters in filenames and expect satisfactory results, when I downloaded Aeva Media from the support site it had + signs in the filename (IE8), SMF won't even look at it with + signs, just replace the +'s or spaces with underscores and you'll be fine...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Advertisement: