General support topic for Aeva Media (Latest release: July 28, 2010)

Started by Nao 尚, October 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nao 尚

Yeah, I missed the post indeed...
petesky, here's what I figured out and did:
- The aeva_is_utf function is the only 'correct' way to determine whether a string should use the UTF path,
- It only works on relatively short strings,
- So far in AM, it *is* only used in short strings: titles, descriptions, comments. They rarely go over 2 kilobytes...
- Basically, it only failed because I applied it on a 2KB string. (Which is now 10 times bigger, BTW.)
- So I simply reconverted my file to ISO-8859-1 and will be using entities in case I need them. Thus, I could simply bypass the UTF conversion thingy.

I originally meant to 'simply' cut the string after 2000 bytes, which would have pretty much guaranteed no crash. But then I realized I'd need to cut precisely so I don't cut a multibyte character in the middle, because it would fail the test... And if I can't cut it in the middle, I need to determine if it's UTF first... Very funny ;P
Anyway, I then noticed that my cutString() function was pretty much UTF-incompatible. I remember getting complaints from users about exotic characters being cut very short in titles etc. This was the reason. It should work from now on... And maybe I can use cutString() on is_utf(), too, but I'm still unsure. For now, I'll keep using it as it is. I didn't really get any complaints for any use outside this about() function.

Phew!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

petesky

Wow - thank's; so i really found a "funny bug" worth spending a bit to you (next days trough paypal) for clearing...so you can ask your girlfriend for dinner  ;D

Btw. because posts here need to moderated, may it takes too long sometimes. In another thread i asked moving the Copyright centered to footer and i told you that SMF has it before; with SMF i meant your "SMF Media Gallery (SMG)".
So it wasn't an SMF core feature but rather a "SMF...SMG" feature ;D

clothahump

Does not take much to confuse me at the moment but if I uninstall my gallery where do my members upload their images?
Excuse me for being stupid.  ;)

Kreator

got this error keep popping up

http://www.animanon.com/Forum3/index.php?action=profile;area=aevaitems;u=1

8: Undefined index: aeva

File: /customers/animanon.com/animanon.com/httpd.www/Forum3/Sources/Aeva-Gallery2.php
Line: 2216

any ideas for fix??

Nao 尚

1. Could you please specify you were installing the Alpha version of Aeva Media? (This is not yet the 'default' supported version, obviously...)
2. Please remove the attached file. I don't see the reason to attach it. *And* it's an alpha-state file, unstable, and I don't want to see it shared by anyone.
3. You're not saying how to reproduce your problem.
4. All in all, a D+, for the effort.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

stageducky

SMF version 1.1.11
Custom Theme

Before upgrade had Aevc in SMF1.1.10 but I removed it before upgrading to SMF 1.1.11

1) I have uninstalled older version of Aevc and Media Gallery
2) I have uploaded the zip package to my server.
3) Click on [apply mod] in the browse package page

Result
4) No installation testing page appear
5) Package Installation page has no indication of the Mod
6) Went back into the browse package tried to look at list file
7) Nothing appear
8) Went back into the browse package tried to delete Mod
9) Prompted, "this mod is currently installed, if you delete it will affect the MOD"
10) Refresh all the relevant pages to see if I the Mod is indeed installed
11) Went back into installed package page, no MOD of Aeva Media found.

Can someone solve this riddle for me.

I thought maybe the SMF installer is corrupted so I tried installing one mod. It works.

So meaning the problem is only with Aeva.

What I'm worry is that if I attempt again I will have multiple copies and that may corrupt my Forum.

Please help me to remove the invisible Aeva+Media+1.0+Alpha Mod

neo_rambo

I installed everything correctly and successfully. But my add album button disappeared. I deleted my existing albums thinking the button will come back and nope. Has anyone experienced this.

roomeat

First off.. Thanks for taking the time to create such a superb mod.
I have upgraded from SMG + Aeva to Aeva Media Gallery. Un-install and install went perfect.
My only question (at this stage).. is how can I change the menu item from Media to Gallery? (My members are dummies and won't understand "Media" lol
We were not given dreams, without also being given the power to achieve them.

Arantor

QuoteI just cannot find any reference where it states caution before install on an alpha release product

In the package manager, there is a reference on the testing install screen.
QuotePlease remember to always make regular backups of your sources and database before installing mods, especially beta versions.

Oskarlover

Hello

Why after upgrading i got a Blank Page in my whole forum, how do i fix thats?

I really need help =(

Norv

Quote from: Oskarlover on December 30, 2009, 10:01:19 PM

Can you please tell from what version to what did you upgrade and how?

You might find useful to look in the web server logs, to see if there are PHP fatal errors. Post them here, if so.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Oskarlover

Quote from: Norv on December 30, 2009, 10:14:59 PM
Quote from: Oskarlover on December 30, 2009, 10:01:19 PM

Can you please tell from what version to what did you upgrade and how?

You might find useful to look in the web server logs, to see if there are PHP fatal errors. Post them here, if so.

From Aeva-7.0.706 to Aeva+Media+1.0+Alpha on 2.0 rc 2

Heres all i see in the error log:
[31-Dec-2009 02:06:37] PHP Warning:  filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: stat failed for /home/oskarcom/public_html/cache/data_92fd6eac15ef1da8e27362cffa35d37f-SMF-modSettings.php in /home/oskarcom/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 2664

Any fix to disable it manually?

Arantor

Nao is touchy at times, and given that he maintains two of the biggest mods for SMF, and gets the same questions because people don't read the FAQ and don't provide enough information to be useful, it's not entirely surprising he gets flippant and brash.

How often have I asked you to state what version of SMF, for example? Invariably it will change what I tell you - here is no different.

If you have a problem, we need to know *exactly* how to reproduce it so we can make it do the same to be able to fix it. Just saying "it doesn't work and here's what it says" can sometimes be enough, but in this case it isn't - you need to say what you were trying to do when you get that error, so the relevant line can be tracked down.

Nao isn't being deliberately aggressive, he is just fed up of people that shout issues at him and don't bother to help him fix them by providing the basic information necessarily.

Nao 尚

@petesky> Yeah, I guess it was worth it ;)

@roomeat> Tell 'em to get stuffed... 'Tis the season after all!

@clothathump> If you uninstall your gallery, your members won't be able to upload images. If you uninstall your forum, your members won't be able to post. If you uninstall your server, we won't be having this conversation. What exactly do you mean?

@Kreator> You installed manually or automatically? In either case, it's not installed correctly.

@oskarlover> What's that?
And are you sure AM caused the crash? (filesize() in Load.php? Neither SMF nor AM add that!)

Oskarlover

Quote from: Naolington on December 31, 2009, 04:41:26 AM

@oskarlover> What's that?
And are you sure AM caused the crash? (filesize() in Load.php? Neither SMF nor AM add that!)

Yes, im sure...

BTW, i did a new install and put the backup back.

People, plz dont install any Alpha mods!

clothahump

Quote@clothathump> If you uninstall your gallery, your members won't be able to upload images. If you uninstall your forum, your members won't be able to post. If you uninstall your server, we won't be having this conversation. What exactly do you mean?

QuoteBeware, if you want to install Aeva Media, you need to uninstall BOTH Aeva and SMF Media Gallery!

The instructions state that the Gallery and Aeva must be uninstalled before proceeding to install this Mod, if I do there will be no Gallery.

Nao 尚

Me, touchy and aggressive? I've been as nice as I could be here! I said 'Please' twice! I didn't say anything insulting. I even mentioned the 'effort' (i.e. actually pasting the full error message, which so many people don't do in the first place....)

What should I do to be considered 'nice', then?

1. Dear user, thank you so much for trying out my humble little package. I did understand that you were using the Aeva Media version, which is in alpha state, and obviously shouldn't have been released to the public, because it hurt you. I'm so sorry about this. I would sell my family to repay for the wrong I did to you.
2. Please keep the attached file. It will serve as a reminder of how I'm absolutely, totally and horribly unworthy of walking the same ground as you do. My code is so ugly, so insulting to the human race that it should be printed in History books for future generations to scream at.
3. Unfortunately, I think I'm totally unworthy of solving your problem, because I couldn't even figure out how to reproduce your problem. I'm going to mutilate my hand right now.
4. Al inal a G- formy efort.i'mmissin a hand thougj.

Arantor

Nao: I can't help but wonder if the centuries old rivalry between the English and French is at work here... :P

I get equally annoyed, actually, though I actually bother to write far less about, I tend to put as much effort into replies as people tend to provide me when trying to diagnose the problem.

Nao 尚

@Oskarlover> Yes, you're sure of something you couldn't even verify? What about checking what's actually at line 2664 and posting it? Of course you couldn't do that... You just wanted to be insulting. I'm hereby revoking your right to use all of my mods, alpha, beta or whatever state they are in, until you apologize for insinuating I deliberately put people in trouble, *and* for saying I'm the cause of your filesize() issues when I have absolutely no filesize() calls in Load.php.

@clothahump> Of course there'll be a gallery. The items themselves aren't removed... Haven't you ever upgraded SMG before? This will be the same for Aeva Media: need to uninstall before you install the new version... All database elements are kept. All files, too.

Nao 尚

Question: why are you posting this as a new topic? It's not even an Aeva Media board (yet)...

Oh, well.

Advertisement: