guests voting

Started by Jade Elizabeth, October 14, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Elizabeth

i cant let them vote
everytime i add the permission it says i cant let them

so i want a way to allow it on a per poll basis.
thankyou :D
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Rumbaar

If you allow Guest voting, then a poll it effectively useless.  As you can't put any controls in place to limit how many times a person can vote.   Even an IP based limit system is ineffective and would then block people from the some hosts.

My 2cents worth.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Rumbaar on October 14, 2007, 09:03:46 PM
If you allow Guest voting, then a poll it effectively useless.  As you can't put any controls in place to limit how many times a person can vote.   Even an IP based limit system is ineffective and would then block people from the some hosts.

My 2cents worth.

good point

lol
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Jade Elizabeth

LOL!!
i remembered why i want it!!

i want it for one section, where my art is rated, cause guests come to rate my art for my website, and they cant cause you have to sign up
and they cant rate my poetry either :(

Oldiesmann

If you care about ratings, then I don't think guest votes are a good idea - as others have stated, there is absolutely no way to prevent guests from voting multiple times. If some punk decides to have some "fun", they could sit in front of their computer and constantly give your artwork/poetry a bad rating. You would look at it, see that most of the votes were for a poor rating, and assume that nobody liked it.

If people like your artwork/poetry then they shouldn't have any problem registering to vote on it and post their comments on it.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Jade Elizabeth

true.
i hate the fact that i keep hitting snags here

lol

jjgallow

If you're looking for definitive results, don't do an internet poll at all.  What you need is a government-funded study with controls and peer reviews.

If you're trying to make your forum interesting, then by all means a poll which allows guests to post is going to have more action than any other.

I'm glad this feature is in 2.0.  It was in the original perl Yabb, and was a very popular feature.   Surely it can be done now too.

p.s....have you seen all the other permission options for guests?  They could pretty-much be configured to be moderators with SMF, if you wanted.  I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a guest respond to a poll than write their own topics, or.....move/delete them!

Jade Elizabeth

i cant do government polls for my art lol

jjgallow

Wow, nice site Alundra!  Quite visual.

It's true, the government may not help you out, lol.

I find guest voting pretty helpful for my site, although it is a far less developed site.  I had to make a few minor modifications to the script, and it works great.

As for accuracy of voting, I find that sometimes guest voting is considerably more honest than that of group-polarized user based voting.  In my situation, I find this quite helpful...and I also draw a LOT more attention to the topic.   I have it set up so they can vote, but have to register to comment on the topic...so many of them become users anyway.

And yes, I track my guest voting by IP.  I have absolutely no problems with other people being blocked out by that IP because:

For one, it is Poll-specific.  In otherwords, they're only locked out of THAT SPECIFIC poll, not all the others.

For two, if they are blocked out, they can just Register and vote.  As soon as they're logged in, vote tracking switches from IP to User ID (ID_MEMBER).

jjgallow

Alundra,

If this helps, here is a link to the mod I used to have guest-based voting.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46626.0

The only thing this didn't do was track IPs....I had to add tweak that myself.  If you're still interested, just let me know and I'll post the code I used for that.

Or if you REALLY WANT.....I MIGHT just make an automatic MOD.  Only if you're interested, though.  Otherwise, there's little point since SMF 2.0 comes pre-loaded with Guest Voting (Thanks SMF Team!)

Jade Elizabeth

OOOOOO!!!
please do send me an automatic mod!!!

i soooooooooo appreciate it :D

and thanks for the comments on the site!! i do love it, its still being transferred to the new theme (the actual site) but it should be completed before christmas ;) and i have to work on the on topic theme a little for the forum, but alls well :)

jjgallow

Here you go, Alundra  :)

Please do let me know how it works for you...I've had no problems using it on 1.1.4  :)

You can download it Here:

http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource/download/Allow_Guest_Voting/Allow_Guest_Voting.zip

or Here:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1026

jjgallow

Whoops, I found a small error in my code...it's fixed.  Changed the download link to this:

http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource/download/Allow_Guest_Voting/Allow_Guest_Voting_1.1.4.zip

If you installed from the first link, please uninstall, then re-install this package.  There will be no more changes, lol!  It's a very simple MOD...just  a typo, but it disabled several admin features by accident.

Jade Elizabeth

jjgallow

Stupid Links!

Sorry...try it now.  Do let me know how it goes for you....cheers  :)

Jade Elizabeth

works perfectly!!

thanks!!

jjgallow

marzi

The link is dead again.
Is there anyway to get the mod? I would really appreciate it.

Jade Elizabeth

it should be submitted...

marzi

Quoteit should be submitted...
What should be submitted where?

I think that you were able to get the mod and it is working for you.
I tried all 3 links jjgallow  was so kind to provide but all are dead ends.

Jade Elizabeth

i know...i dont have it anymore, its installed....i did check my computer and i cant find it..its not even in the recycling bin anymore :(

marzi

Thanks for trying.
Maybe jjgallow  will repost it.

sennad

Does anybody have this mod. It is a great feature because I don't want my poll to be a scientific or smth like that, and if guests can't vote than I have a small no. of votes and it looks silly.

Please repost this mod :)

jjgallow

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the deal:  The link was taken off because the SMF development team wasn't impressed with the quality of the code, and rightfully so.  In particular, it makes a slight change to one of the columns in the SMF database tables - a "no-no" in mod writing.

Realistically, I doubt this will ever do anything bad, but I COULD be wrong.  My time is limited, and this MOD has limited value, since when SMF 2.0 is out, Guest voting will be available to everyone anyway.  I just haven't found the time to edit the code for proper syntax, etc. 

Make no mistake, the MOD does work.  To compromise, I've made some changes to the code so  that when you uninstall it, it will REVERSE the changes it made to the SMF tables.  So, as long as you uninstall this MOD before you upgrade to SMF 2.0, you should be laughing.  And, you won't need it, because SMF 2.0 already has Guest Voting.

Here is a link to the MOD, which I take no responsibility for.  You have been warned that it is not a polished MOD, and never will be, as it will shortly be obsolete.  However, this new MOD WILL correct the table changes it makes.  Alundra, and anyone else who downloaded from the old link, I would recommend uninstalling your MOD and installing this one.

cheers  :)

http://www.earthorbit.com/opensource/download/Allow_Guest_Voting/Allow_Guest_Voting_1.1.4.0.zip

Jade Elizabeth

wow you scare me...LOL

but thanks :D

Autoteilekauf.com

i have installed this nice mod, but it doesn´t work.

No changes were made. The mod is now installed, look:

http://www.vwteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1082.0

permissions set for the group "guests": just show poll

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: VWTeam.com on January 24, 2008, 07:51:52 PM
i have installed this nice mod, but it doesn´t work.

No changes were made. The mod is now installed, look:

http://www.vwteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1082.0

permissions set for the group "guests": just show poll

you set it so guests CAN vote right?

Autoteilekauf.com

no guest can vote.

please look at the link and vote. you can´t vote...

(sorry for my bad english)

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: VWTeam.com on January 24, 2008, 09:21:47 PM
no guest can vote.

please look at the link and vote. you can´t vote...

(sorry for my bad english)

Yes, but did you set the permissions so the guest can vote?

Autoteilekauf.com

there is no checkbox to allow guests voting.

sennad

you'll have to add it, bottom of perm page add one for voting for guests

Autoteilekauf.com

First i don´t know what you mean.

Now i have found it on drop down permissions menu add it to guests.
This is not fair. Nobody can find this...  :o

Now it works. THX SO MUCH!

leeaf83

does anyone have an answer to this yet? I would love to be able to let guests vote

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: leeaf83 on April 14, 2008, 04:47:59 PM
does anyone have an answer to this yet? I would love to be able to let guests vote

The answer is in the holy 2.0 version!!
lol, I know, I'm corny :P.

leeaf83

What does that mean? How do I allow guests to vote?

Jade Elizabeth

If you have 2.0 it's in the permissions settings. If you have 1.1.4, you need the mod from this topic...just scroll up it's on this page :).

leeaf83

Silly question but how exactly do I implement a mod? I see its a zip file.

Jade Elizabeth

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?board=49.0

Not a silly question at all!
We have a whole manual section on this, if you don't understand parts let me know :).

Advertisement: