BBCode creation in AdminCP

Started by OvermindDL1, November 17, 2004, 09:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

I may not have time for a project as large as the permission tree I asked about in the feature forum as of yet, but I might have time for this project.

Last night I got this working, it works with the FasterParseCode mod only and it requires it installed.  It does not create any DB entries, instead it is collapsed into a single string into the settings db.  This is not meant to be fast right now, it is meant to be compatable, easily installable and uninstallable with no traces left, so I am not having it create and distroy tables at a whim, although if it should ever be included with the main source for SMF, it would almost be a requirement for the speed advantage alone.  I will most likely make an optimized version when I am done that will create the corresponding tables and such for thsoe that would want it (as I will).  At the moment, it will not even do anything if it is empty, ergo, adding no overhead on the forum until you choose to use it, and I have attempted to make it as fast as I can make it without making another table.  Technically it is faster the way it is if there are very few bbcodes in it, but if there are too many (or all the currently existing ones are ported over), then a new table would be best.  All I need to do is make the adminCP interface for it.  Will not be able to until Friday however, will not be near computer the next few days during my 13+hours a day at work (need sleep after all).

The purpose of this post is how detailed should I make the AdminCP section of it, should I go as far as adding a permission for the usergroups first of all?  The way you enter it now is using the standard syntax it uses now (regular expressions), so you are not limited by options you need or really much at all (there are a couple, but those are very rare circumstances, like the flash bbcode, it wants to check another variable which you obviously cannot do in regex).  Should I keep the interface best for entering it as naturally as possible? Or should I work on an option for doing some simple bbCode as well as being able to be complex.  By Simple I mean a basic interface where you can do a bbCode with mabye an option or three and have it placed in coresponding html code.  Such an option would be nice for people who do not know regex, but would it be worth putting it in, would enough people (that actually make their own bbCodes) use it, or would they even use the full regex capability, should that even be an option?  I know people like options, but when some people see the complex regex portion, they may be turned off to even the simple method at that point.  I do not want to overwhelm people, but I want them to have power as well.  Ideas?

Be back in a few days...

Note:  I did not see the mod for simple BBCodes, so I will make this for the more advanced things like regex and even more complex (already making, not done, but do not want to reveal it yet, may do too slow, need to test...)

Advertisement: