News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

No New post avatar?

Started by The Demoniac, October 16, 2007, 01:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Demoniac

Hello!

Everything time a new post is posted on my forum there is a blank square written "new" inside (I know it is image that goes there)..The new post avatar is working well but it is when I want to read the new topic in a specific board that the square appear...I've tried to upload an image named "new" but it doesn't work...Could you help me? I use Ancient and rust SMF...

Thanks!

Kindred

I think you are using the wrong terminology...  and so I am unsure what you are actually asking.

1- board icon: next to the board name in the board index. This is handled by on.gif (new messages in board), on2.gif (new messages in a child board, but no new messages in the parent) and off.gif (no new messages in the board or any of its children)
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/on.gif
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/on2.gif
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/off.gif

2- new icon: shown to the right of the thread title on the message index page. This is handled by new.gif.
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/english/new.gif
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

The Demoniac

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2007, 01:39:00 PM
I think you are using the wrong terminology...  and so I am unsure what you are actually asking.

1- board icon: next to the board name in the board index. This is handled by on.gif (new messages in board), on2.gif (new messages in a child board, but no new messages in the parent) and off.gif (no new messages in the board or any of its children)
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/on.gif
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/on2.gif
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/off.gif

2- new icon: shown to the right of the thread title on the message index page. This is handled by new.gif.
/Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images/english/new.gif
Yes, I'm newbie....Sir, it is the #2 my problem...I've already upload an image call new.gif but it doesn't work?

Kindred

did you upload it to the CORRECT directory?

Did you refresh your screen (Ctrl-f5)?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

The Demoniac

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2007, 01:50:20 PM
did you upload it to the CORRECT directory?

Did you refresh your screen (Ctrl-f5)?

Yes...

There is a image called new_bar.gif do you think it could be this one because "new.gif" alone doesn't exist in this theme?

Kindred

ah... different theme.

When you see the new icon on your screen, right click and look at the properties... that should tell you the actual name of the image file.
Слaва
Украинi

The Demoniac

Will do this...Thank you very much! ;D

Rumbaar

You also might want to make sure your Default Language in server settings is set too English, unless you want to deal with constantly creating alternate folders.  Say English-utf8.  It's the easiest option I've found.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

The Demoniac

Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2007, 04:48:16 PM
ah... different theme.

When you see the new icon on your screen, right click and look at the properties... that should tell you the actual name of the image file.
Quote from: Rumbaar on October 16, 2007, 08:33:57 PM
You also might want to make sure your Default Language in server settings is set too English, unless you want to deal with constantly creating alternate folders.  Say English-utf8.  It's the easiest option I've found.

OK...I've tried everything! The properties told me that the image is new.gif and I have upload an image called new.gif and it doesn't work? Any other ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

The Demoniac

Quote from: Kindred on October 20, 2007, 05:44:43 PM
new.gif in what directory?

In /Themes/YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY/images...

Rumbaar

When Kindred posted 'YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY' he actually mean to substitute your actual themes name, not to that absolute path.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

The Demoniac

Quote from: Rumbaar on October 20, 2007, 07:05:38 PM
When Kindred posted 'YOURTHEMEDIRECTORY' he actually mean to substitute your actual themes name, not to that absolute path.

Sir, I know ... OK then In  /Themes/ancientandrusted/images and yes it is in English and I didn't found anything like new.gif anywhere??

HELP ME!!!! :-)

Thank you kindly!

greyknight17

What do you mean you didn't find new.gif anywhere? I thought you said that it was uploaded to the images directory earlier? Get the theme's zip file again and see if it has the new.gif file in there. Then upload it to /Themes/ancientandrusted/images

The Demoniac

Quote from: greyknight17 on October 21, 2007, 06:01:07 PM
What do you mean you didn't find new.gif anywhere? I thought you said that it was uploaded to the images directory earlier? Get the theme's zip file again and see if it has the new.gif file in there. Then upload it to /Themes/ancientandrusted/images
What I said is that I uploaded an image that I previously called myself new.gif because when I read the information on the blank image by cliking the right click on my mouse it was written new.gif but there is absolutly NO new.gif in ancient and rusted theme (this what I meant by anywhere)...There is no new.gif in ancient and rust theme but the image there is supposed to be called new.gif....

Rumbaar

Can you link to your forum?

Also
Quote from: Kindred on October 16, 2007, 01:39:00 PM
/Themes/ancientandrusted/images/english/new.gif

[ Themes ]

Jade Elizabeth

right click the box the image should be in
click properties
copy the url
and then you have what its called, and where it should be ;)
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

greyknight17

The Demoniac, is the issue resolved yet? If not, post a link to your forum for us to take a look at.

The Demoniac

Quote from: greyknight17 on October 25, 2007, 09:40:29 PM
The Demoniac, is the issue resolved yet? If not, post a link to your forum for us to take a look at.

Sir, yes! I would like to thank you very much!!!

Advertisement: